Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Olevia 65” 1080p LCD HDTV for sale at "a very good price" today on Woot. Far cheaper than the prices you'll see if you check around. If I hadn't just bought an HDTV, I'd be sorely tempted.

Yes, they've been discontinued. Might never see Olevia TVs again. Or maybe somebody will pick them up.

Olevia 65” 1080p LCD HDTV for sale at "a very good price" today on Woot. Far cheaper than the prices you'll see if you check around. If I hadn't just bought an HDTV, I'd be sorely tempted.

Yes, they've been discontinued. Might never see Olevia TVs again. Or maybe somebody will pick them up.

I was going to post this as well. I was sorely tempted when it came up last time, and I am really itching to go for it. $2300 for a 65" 1080P set to replace my 56" 720P DLP projector.

I wish they did a "percent sold" like the amazing dot com people do for their gold boxes.

I wish they did a "percent sold" like the amazing dot com people do for their gold boxes.

They do during woot offs, but they actually address this in their FAQ. They say they don't want to do it because it influences sales. All you can do is watch for the bouncing ball. You can also look at the histogram in the discussion forum and try to gues how many are available from that (if it is a low number)

That does not seem like a deal to me. I got a 67" Samsung LED DLP for $1,919 and got 5 additional years of insurance for $310 for a total of $2,239. This includes shipping and insurance to my house and no sales tax and no bulbs to replace, which is still less than the $2,300 for the 65" television that Woot had. I've seen some for as little oas $1,500 or less for a 65" or is there something special about this particular tv?

That does not seem like a deal to me. I got a 67" Samsung LED DLP for $1,919 and got 5 additional years of insurance for $310 for a total of $2,239. This includes shipping and insurance to my house and no sales tax and no bulbs to replace, which is still less than the $2,300 for the 65" television that Woot had. I've seen some for as little oas $1,500 or less for a 65" or is there something special about this particular tv?

You're kidding me, you paid $310 for insurance???

Yeah, but it's still a DLP and the one on sale is an LCD. Apples to Oranges.

Yep. Trying hanging that DLP on the wall. See which has greater WAF.

My main TV is a 61" RPTV, and I'm very happy with it. The one I just bought for the master bedroom is a 52" LCD. I gather from my wife any future TV, -which will of course be many years off, honey- will be flat & thin.

I thought I saw that it was a DLP, in which I overlooked, and I know that LCD's are more expensive.

I personally didn't care about the thinness of the television because I did not want to mount it on the wall then have to take the mount down to move it to the other side everytime someone wants to rearrange the room. It would be easier to move a DLP around on a stand on wheels vs one hung on the wall plus it's cheaper and supposedly not as heavy.

Is $310 really too much to pay for insurance for 5 additional years on this tv? Do you think that was a bad decision? I read where I have 30 days to get a full refund on the warranty. I figured there are parts more expensive than that in which could fail and if I had coverage for the first six years then that should cover me pretty good for a while. They gave me $50 off the tv for taking the insurance so it was like paying $260 for the insurance. The way I figured it up it was like paying $4-5 per month over the five year period after the first year for insurance and they come to my house to fix it so I figured it was worth that. Do these tv's not break down very much at all? I heard others say they had problems with their tv's in the past and it would cost a lot to fix it so that is why I got the warranty.

Actually, my LCD is on a piece of furniture. Low open glass shelves for 4 boxes plus speakers, and an arm up the back to suspend the HDTV in the air. Very close to the wall, but can be moved around if need be.

Don't know about insurance price. I know DLPs have had a spotty rep, but that was mostly for the color wheel, I believe.

Is $310 really too much to pay for insurance for 5 additional years on this tv? Do you think that was a bad decision?

If you can afford it and it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling about owning the TV, then go for it. :)

I never buy extended warranties on anything. If the odds were in the consumer's favor of getting your money's worth out of the warranty, companies wouldn't sell them. They are a very high profit item.

Personally, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling about not paying an extra 15% over the price of an item for a warranty I will likely never use. If something does break, hey, I'll use all that money I saved from not buying warranties on all my electronics over the years. :)

I cannot figure out this woot thing, (cannot find the 65" Olevia LCD) but I am able to say that the set has an awsome picture. My dad has one. Black level is not that great though. Detail and picture are awesome with all sources. I would love to get one because they are sogreat and a great deal but I don't have the money because I already have seven televisions. The Olevia 65" LCDs are a great deal though.

A reason to purchase an extended warranty on this set---Syntax Brillian has filed for Chapter 11.:D

I cannot figure out this woot thing, (cannot find the 65" Olevia LCD) but I am able to say that the set has an awsome picture. My dad has one. Black level is not that great though. Detail and picture are awesome with all sources. I would love to get one because they are sogreat and a great deal but I don't have the money because I already have seven televisions. The Olevia 65" LCDs are a great deal though.

WOOT only offers an item for one day, then 'tis gone. The Olevia offer is gone.

Sometimes, like today, they Woot Off several items, one right after the other. If you follow them and get a chance to buy a Bag 'O Crap, do so. People report good things out of that.

You can also get wine at Woot Wine.

A reason to purchase an extended warranty on this set---Syntax Brillian has filed for Chapter 11.:D

Yep. The Olevia TV line, or maybe just the brand name, may or may not be picked up by another manufacturer.

I was wating since spring..to buy the SONY 70"XBR7 for my living room as update my old TV..I cant beleve THE DAMN price is $20.000
LOL good luck to selling that sh*t!!

I was wating since spring..to buy the SONY 70"XBR7 for my living room as update my old TV..I cant beleve THE DAMN price is $20.000
LOL good luck to selling that sh*t!!

There are a few people who want the best, and cost is no object. I'm sure that Sony is aware that they are only going to sell a couple thousand of these, and the price reflects recovering the R&D costs. Besides, I believe that having a flagship set that costs more than your car actually sells the less expensive Sony displays.

They will probably make more at first by selling fewer to their loyal customer base at a higher cost rather than selling more at a much cheaper cost. After they get their big bucks from the rich people then they will drop the price to get it from the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts