OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Comcast Refuses OLN Programming to Dish

COMCAST SUBSIDIARY REFUSES TO PROVIDE

OLN PROGRAMMING TO ECHOSTAR’S DISH NETWORK

Strong-arm Tactics by Comcast Punish EchoStar Customers

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.—Oct. 20, 2005 – EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) confirmed today that it is no longer carrying Outdoor Life Network. The Comcast-owned programmer recently demanded that EchoStar force millions of additional DISH Network customers to pay for its outdoor programming as a condition to continued availability. EchoStar was unwilling to impose those additional costs on consumers.

“We work hard to provide choice for our customers and to keep prices low,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for EchoStar. “Most of our customers have made the decision they do not want to pay the additional cost of watching that channel.”

For customers impacted by the loss of OLN, DISH Network recently added College Sports TV (CSTV), NFL Network and ESPNU at no additional cost. DISH Network offers other channels that provide similar programming to OLN, such as The Outdoor Channel and the Men’s Channel. For hockey fans, hundreds of hockey games are available through regional sports networks offered by DISH Network, or customers can subscribe to the NHL Center Ice Package, which offers a variety of hockey games much broader than those offered on OLN.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 11.4 million satellite TV customers through its DISH NetworkÔ, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com .

i could see something like this happening. does not surprise me at all. i just have to be thankful that all tampa lightning games are on local tv.

Breaking News Oln Takedown On Dishnetwork

Effective Thursday, October 20, at 7:59 p.m. MST Outdoor Life
Network is no longer available On Dishnetwork. OLN, owned by the nation’s
largest cable TV company, Comcast, has made unreasonable
demands that would force millions of DISH network customers
to pay more for this channel. We regret the inconvenience
but are committed to keeping your prices the lowest
possible. We may have lost OLN, but DISH Network recently
added College Sports TV (CSTV), NFL Network and ESPNU
at no additional cost.

Although a slightly different situation, I support dishnetwork 100% on this like I do with the YES network. Someone has to stand-up to the program providers. If OLN (in this case) thinks their programming is soooo demanded, take up Dishnetwork's offer they gave to YES - make it a separate pay channel and keep all or most of the profits. But they won't (Just like YES would not) because that is exactly the reason they try to force it on everyone, & make eveyone pay. They know few would be willing to pay for it willingly. (Unlike HBO etc..) The difference in this case it that everyone is able to get OLN unlike YES, so at least there would be a theoretical benefit if prices were raised to carry OLN. I don't expect a clammer to get this channel back.

Exactly the same reasons I left DISH in the first place. They did the same crap with Viacom last year.

It's the principle of the thing. Remember right around that time DISH hiked their prices too.

This is what I was talking about in my other thread (Rant)

"For customers impacted by the loss of OLN, DISH Network recently added College Sports TV (CSTV), NFL Network and ESPNU at no additional cost"

They take a channel that people watch and put up genre specific channels and say they are doing it at no charge... Now I know that the cost of the OLN network does not even come close to the cost of those three networks put together I have all the channels... so I am the one getting ripped from this, not E*

But I am not surprised this happened... We are dealing with Comcast and now that they have the NHL they have more barganing power...

i know a lot of us here are hockey fans, but the nhl is not a barganing chip when it comes to ratings. i really don't think dish will have a lot of complaints about the loss of this channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)