OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

I love the propoganda press releases issued by Dish. I'm sure OLN's releases will have a spin that makes Dish sound like the bad guys. I'm also sure the truth is in the middle.

Actually, I was under the impression that OLN wasn't asking for more money, but simply that OLN becomes part of the AT120 tier, instead of the more expensive AT180 tier. Thus, providing more viewers, at no add'l cost to Dish.

If that is the case, then it's really just Charlie beating his chest, and NOT an attempt to save the Dish subs money.

I like dish trying to fight OLN, but doesn't dish lose out on breaking the contract they had with OLN? how does the payment break out, doesn't dish have to keep paying OLN for the length of the contract?

The only part where dish is wrong is in that OLN is violating the contract. While it may suck OLN probably isn't doing anything illegal by trying to sell the NHL as a new contract. Technically they are still providing programming on the main OLN while the others are getting hockey.

GaryPen said:
I love the propoganda press releases issued by Dish. I'm sure OLN's releases will have a spin that makes Dish sound like the bad guys. I'm also sure the truth is in the middle.

Actually, I was under the impression that OLN wasn't asking for more money, but simply that OLN becomes part of the AT120 tier, instead of the more expensive AT180 tier. Thus, providing more viewers, at no add'l cost to Dish.

If that is the case, then it's really just Charlie beating his chest, and NOT an attempt to save the Dish subs money.
ummmmm they pay per subscriber!! more subs= more money

I think it's great that dish is yanking it. These Sports providers in particular seem to think they can rip everyone off. Let them provide it on a pay-as-you-go and see how it does. They never want to do that, because they know very few will. Down goes ad revenue etc. Dish is fighting the good fight on this a LOT and gets bashed a lot for it. I remember when video was first getting hot, Warner Brothers was trying to RENT the videos to the stores for a LARGE up front fee, plus a good portion of the rental income. The video stores in my area boycotted EVERY single one of the titles. Warner had to back down, and now video rentals have stayed resonable, and the price to buy them has dropped 60% from those days (not even adjusting for inflation). What dish is doing is no different. GOOD for them. There are still a bunch of channels where you can watch millionares play thier games. Same with Viacom. They had stuff I was interested in that got dropped during that incident, but hey, unless you want to pay $100 a month or more just for the 'basics' someone has to stand up to them.

I don't see why DISH didn't agree to putting OLN in the top 120.

You would think they would considering that Directv has it in every one of their programming packages. DISH could have done this as to match competition.

Now I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I wanted to post my comparisons.

OLN is available to you at an additional fee if you sub to the 60 or 120, in an average 6 month period I would have 4 - 7 customers that would enquire about the channel and about %80 would purchase it for an additional $1 a month. I think there will be more upset customers than is realized here but I also dont see OLN/Comcast worrying over it much at all considering how they took tech tv and asimilated it into g4 wich I really dont think anyone cares if that channel dropped off of dish programing at all.

I wonder if this might explode into a holy war between Dish & Comcast and effect other channels?

Comcast's other channels:

E!
Style
The Golf Channel
OLN
G4
AZN TV (old International Channel)

I knew it was a matter of time before Dish yanked OLN, they were either going to do this or just flat out sue OLN for breach of contract. I am sure OLN is throwing a fit and threatening lawsuits of their own as we speak. Should be interesting.

EchoStar Drops Outdoor Life from Dish Network Package

EchoStar Communications on Thursday said it dropped Outdoor Life Network from its Dish Network programming package, charging that the Comcast-owned network was demanding higher payments because it had added National Hockey League games to its lineup. "We work hard to provide choice for our customers and keep prices low," said Eric Sahl, senior VP of programming for EchoStar in a statement. "Most of our customers have made the decision they do not want to pay the additional cost of watching that channel." EchoStar said it will replace OLN by adding College Sports TV, NFL Network and ESPNU for free for some subscribers.

OLN, which had about 3 million subscribers, said in a statement that, "We are surprised and disappointed that Dish has unilaterally chosen to stop providing OLN to its customers--and denied fans the opportunity to watch sports coverage on OLN."

An industry insider said a Comcast negotiating team had just completed a meeting at EchoStar's headquarters in Denver when the satellite provider announced its decision to drop the network.

"We are also disappointed that EchoStar cut off the ongoing discussions with OLN that were designed to bring OLN's great programming to Dish customers," OLN said in a statement. "Fortunately, those customers do have the ability to explore other cable and satellite options that carry OLN."

Dish's Current Statement shown on 151

Attachments

• ch151.JPG
    ch151.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 344
"The Men's Channel" is a replacement? :haha :haha I've had the "Men's Channel" blocked since the first time it showed up in my guide. What a joke

GaryPen said:

Thank you, someone understands that's EXACTLY all they are asking for.

And actually, they are doing this with ALL programming providers, cable co. included, so it's not like they just singled out E*. Cable co. which carry OLN now on a digital tier & not expanded basic, (such as Insight here) are NOT getting the NHL, either. I look for Insight here to be adding it to our expanded basic pkg in the near future, since they are part owned by Comcast as well. (& they conveniently have 1 empty analog channel on 69 to add it)

But as usual, E* turns it into another catfight - I'm SO glad we don't go through this w/D* every 6 months... :rolleyes: :D

dishrich said:
Thank you, someone understands that's EXACTLY all they are asking for.

And actually, they are doing this with ALL programming providers, cable co. included, so it's not like they just singled out E*. Cable co. which carry OLN now on a digital tier & not expanded basic, (such as Insight here) are NOT getting the NHL, either. I look for Insight here to be adding it to our expanded basic pkg in the near future, since they are part owned by Comcast as well. (& they conveniently have 1 empty analog channel on 69 to add it)

But as usual, E* turns it into another catfight - I'm SO glad we don't go through this w/D* every 6 months... :rolleyes: :D

:rolleyes: Why should Comcast be able to break their contract? I don't understand why Dish should be to blame here unless you flat out don't like Charlie. OLN is some no name network who recently had nothing of any value so to originally get on Dish they probably had a cheap contract, now that they have something THEY think is valuable, they want more $$. They should take that up when the contract with Dish expires, and ask for a raise then, not in the middle of a contract. Why should Dish's customers have to pay for OLN overpaying for the NHL which very few people care about anymore?

GaryPen said:

Comcast is the vertical monopoly, DISH isn't. I give DISH the benefit of the doubt unless Comcast can prove otherwise by absolute certainty. Yes, it's that simple. Comcast will always be the bad guy because of this. They bought the NHL deal and had no intention of actually making money from that. They were going to use NHL to leverage their cable monopoly. They are WRONG.

mwgiii said:
I wonder if this might explode into a holy war between Dish & Comcast and effect other channels?

E!
Style
The Golf Channel
OLN
G4
I had no idea that Comcast owned AZN TV (I-Channel). That would be an excellent addition to Dish. But, it'll never happen. Why would Dish give away free AZN TV milk when they want Asians to buy the International Packages cow. ImaginAsianTV is another one Dish will never carry for the same reason.

mwgiii said:

E!
Style
The Golf Channel
OLN
G4

I say good bye to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts