OLN status

I wasn't missing the NHL coverage on OLN too much until the college hockey season ended. I love the college hockey coverage available from E* on the multi-sport pack, CSTV, and ESPNU. (I'm sure Iceberg will agree with me!)
Since I've never been through a non-ESPN playoff before, what happens next? Does OLN carry all the national playoff telecasts until NBC picks some up in the finals? Do RSNs still carry the local teams through the first couple rounds? Anyone know?

This is a Comcast vs Dish deal.

Until Dish begins to own some channels that Comcast wants (like DirectTV and Fox do), Comcast will continue to withold channels (via unfavorable pricing).

I am also a cycling fan. I recently inquired about alternate Tour de France coverage on Dish Network. David Laslo had this to say:

"Thank you for your email. We are actively negotiating with Comcast so we hope to provide OLN to you for the Tour de France. Since OLN is the only network to carry the Tour de France there is no other network we could provide as an alternate."

I wonder how 'active' the negotiations really are. I would really like to have OLN back to watch le Tour.

I also wish E* would get OLN back. I’m a huge fan of AMA Motocross www.amamotocross.com. The AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) just announced they were having OLN cover the 2006 series just like last year. Starts in May and goes into September. I do know with the popularity of this sport this is affecting many people.

I signed up with E* just for this channel. I thought I made the right decision going with E* and while later the channel gets pulled...so much for right decisions!. Feel like I've been cheated. Now I'm stuck in a contract with E*. As soon as my contract is up I'm done...unless E* gets a clue really quick.

Bxer said:
I also wish E* would get OLN back. I’m a huge fan of AMA Motocross www.amamotocross.com. The AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) just announced they were having OLN cover the 2006 series just like last year. Starts in May and goes into September. I do know with the popularity of this sport this is affecting many people.

I signed up with E* just for this channel. I thought I made the right decision going with E* and while later the channel gets pulled...so much for right decisions!. Feel like I've been cheated. Now I'm stuck in a contract with E*. As soon as my contract is up I'm done...unless E* gets a clue really quick.

please don't take this wrong, but I gotta admit signing up with any provider because of just one channel is pretty sad. Now if Dish were the least expensive out of everything out there, then I guess I could see the decision, but still. Only one channel????

Yeah well I will sign up with ANY provider that can give me Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, you have no idea. I hate Directv but for that one channel I will switch.

Received this email in today from:
Executive Office of DISH Network
CEO Escalations

Thank you for your email. We are still actively negotiating with Comcast for the Outdoor Life Network, and hope to have back by the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Unfortunately this is all the information I can provide at this time.

psychotrope said:
I wasn't missing the NHL coverage on OLN too much until the college hockey season ended. I love the college hockey coverage available from E* on the multi-sport pack, CSTV, and ESPNU. (I'm sure Iceberg will agree with me!)
so true!! I got to see so much college hockey this year.

Since I've never been through a non-ESPN playoff before, what happens next? Does OLN carry all the national playoff telecasts until NBC picks some up in the finals? Do RSNs still carry the local teams through the first couple rounds? Anyone know?

RSN's have the first two rounds (along with OLN) so if you have NHL CI its on there. OLN will have various games. NBC has Saturday games and games 3-end of Stanley Cup finals

me...I'll be watching the playoffs on CBC & TSN :)

ehren said:
Yeah well I will sign up with ANY provider that can give me Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, you have no idea. I hate Directv but for that one channel I will switch.

Well you might see hell freeze over before that happens, or if Crimecast gets the
NFL ticket..

ride525 said:
CEO Escalations

Thank you for your email. We are still actively negotiating with Comcast for the Outdoor Life Network, and hope to have back by the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Unfortunately this is all the information I can provide at this time.

Hey, flash....that means Dish hopes to have OLN back by Friday.......
Hopefully.....

Cycling Fan

Hockey has not been a huge issue for me partially because the strike turned me off and partially because the Blues management have given the best players away (they won't be in the playoffs for the first time in 25 years).

However, I am an avid bicycling fan and I watch most of the tours that are carried on OLN. I have watched almost every night of coverage of the Tour de France for the last several years.

When Dish first dropped OLN I sent them a note stating my displeasure over the possibility of not having the Tour on. I intend to write more notes as the summer gets closer. Hopefully, they will arrange for coverage of the Tour for those of us who love watching cycling. :D

ride525 said:
CEO Escalations

If Charlie gets OLN back by the payoffs (starting 4/21), all is forgiven! To be perfectly honest, I have been lobbying for the return of OLN really for the playoffs. There was plenty of local coverage and HD Net broadcasts (2/week), but OLN has the all playoffs with the exception of weekend NBC games.

If Charlie really is crazy like a fox, this will be a deft move on his part if he gets OLN back for the playoffs -- the regular season really didn't matter. If he is just crazy, he'll let it slip away and Dish will have no playoff coverage. He'll probably let a lot of hockey fans slip away too as their contracts mature...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts