Olympic Coverage

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have been very impressed with NBC's Olympic coverage thus far. Not only are they showing events on several channels, as well as online, but they are showing lots of stuff live. I was totally sucked into watching the swimming and gymnastics finals, and I don't ever remember caring about those things much in the past. Then it occured to me. It's because it's live!

NBC's coverage used to be terrible because they would ham up their coverage with fluff pieces about Olga the orphan from the Ukraine that nobody cared about instead of just showing the action. On top of that it would take forever for them to show an event because they would take long commercial breaks or throw back to the studio for even more pointless interviews. The fact that they are showing live events forces NBC to stay focused and cover the Olympics like, gasp, sports!

Hopefully this isn't a temporary thing. Anyway I'd like to hear what the rest of you think about the coverage so far.

I remember when we had to make do with 4 hours of coverage in prime-time, plus a few hours during the day, and daylong coverage on weekends. Now we have 24/7 coverage with network, cable, and internet platforms and it has been fantastic. I, for one, hope NBC maintains its status as America's Olympic Network past 2012 when contract negotiations take place later this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)