On Demand frustration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bk57oh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I have an HR21 and all of the upgrades have appeared.:) When I connect my ethernet cable to the HR21 and run the test I get confirmation for Network but can't connect to Internet on HR21 or computer. Internet works fine when not connected to HR21. How can I find help?:confused: I waited for an hour on hold with DTV. I have a DSL modem and a Linksys router.

i got the same problem. comcast cable, linksys router. customer service is a joke on this!!!!!!!!! anybody got the answer?

Are you connected to the ethernet port 1 and not 2 on the HR21, port 2 is a pass through port.

And can you clearify the part about the internet working fine when not connected to the HR21, are you saying you can't connect to the network from your PC when the HR21 is connected to your Linksys?

i can connect to the internet i can use my xbox on the same router. if i run the test on the hr21 it shows an ip address and a sub-mask but no gateway or dns

I sounds like DHCP may not be working then properly to get IP addressing set up on the HR21 since your Linksys should supply all the info.

What is the IP adderss that you're seeing on the HR21, is should start with 192.168.X.X if you haven't changed the local LAN address on your Linksys.

You can try coding a static address on the HR21 if you know how to select the right 'stuff' to put in all the fields to see if that helps.

ip address is 169.254.6.xxx
subnet is 255.255.x.x
mac address shown on the hr21 not the same as my router
my ip address shown on my router is 71.207.xx.xx
subnet is 255.255.xxx.x
if this helps

ip address is 169.254.6.xxx
subnet is 255.255.x.x
mac address shown on the hr21 not the same as my router
my ip address shown on my router is 71.207.xx.xx
subnet is 255.255.xxx.x
if this helps

You're not getting an IP address assigned by your Linksys, that's a default address in your HR21. The 71.207 address is your internet address assigned to you by Comcast (looks like your in PA somewhere). The Linksys for your internal network normally defaults to using the 192.168.1.X network, your PC when attached to the Linksys should have an address on that network with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 if you haven't changed the local LAN settings.

Are you sure the cable that you're using from the HR21 to the Linksys is good, do you see the port you've connected it to on the Linksys light up?

yes it's lit and the cable is good hooked it up to xbox to check it. it also says on the hr21 test
network not connected(9)
internet not connected(12)
what do i need to change to fix it?

No, don't clone the mac address.

In your Linksys config in the max number if DHCP users, do you have a number there higher then the total number of devices connected on your internal network, just want to make sure you don't have a low number and run out of assignments.

The only other thing I can say to try is to code a static IP address on the HR21 (just have to ask again, make sure you're using port 1 on the HR21 and not 2). Or a quicker test would be to connect it directly to your Comcast cable modem, bypassing the Linksys. If you do that power off the Comcast modem and the HR21, connect the ethernet cable directly from the HR21 to the modem, power up the modem and wait for it to sync with the network then power up the HR21 and see what happens.

Are you connected to the ethernet port 1 and not 2 on the HR21, port 2 is a pass through port.

And can you clearify the part about the internet working fine when not connected to the HR21, are you saying you can't connect to the network from your PC when the HR21 is connected to your Linksys?

Connected to port 1 yes. Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I sounds like DHCP may not be working then properly to get IP addressing set up on the HR21 since your Linksys should supply all the info.

What is the IP adderss that you're seeing on the HR21, is should start with 192.168.X.X if you haven't changed the local LAN address on your Linksys.

You can try coding a static address on the HR21 if you know how to select the right 'stuff' to put in all the fields to see if that helps.
I'm also getting 192.254.x.x

I don't know how to select the right "stuff." Can you give me, or direct me to, those steps?

Switch connects to a speedstream modem. ISP is Windstream, (formerly Alltel)

Does the modem allow for multiple computers to be assigned to the local network, will it assign multiple IP addresses? I ask since some ISP's will give you only 1 IP address when you connect to their modem, if you want more you need to install a router that does NAT (Network Address Translation) so you can use a new network number for your internal LAN with multiple addresses that will translate to the one address that your ISP give you. What it sounds like is you get one address, you connect the HR21, your modem sees the request for a new device and then give it the one address you're allowed and then your PC looses its connectivity since the ARP table now knows that the IP address belongs to the MAC address of the HR21. Clear as mud???

Muddy Waters

What it sounds like is you get one address, you connect the HR21, your modem sees the request for a new device and then give it the one address you're allowed and then your PC looses its connectivity since the ARP table now knows that the IP address belongs to the MAC address of the HR21. Clear as mud???[/quote]

I believe that what you describe is the case.

The modem only connects to one computer. It had a firmware update which allows it to work with more than one computer through a switch, but the main computer does not have to be on. How can I tell if I only get one address? Does this help?

The HR 21 is a MAC (as in Apple Macintosh?) address? or does MAC stand for something else.

Thanks for your help.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)