quick question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fre55799

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mcloud, OK
my buddy just moved out of his old roomates house, they had 2 directv recievers, hes moving into a house that already is wired and has the directv sat dish on the roof, is dialed in tested with my birddog (used to be installer) hes wanting to use the reciever from his old buddys house to get programming there, im trying to tell him how illegal that is, what can happen to you and how can they detect that? they didnt tell me how they detected it when i installed for a living

As long as he signs up for his own account there is nothing wrong with it. If he uses one on his buddy's account then that is where you may have problems. Is it illegal, NO but it is against the terms of use.

As long as he signs up for his own account there is nothing wrong with it. If he uses one on his buddy's account then that is where you may have problems. Is it illegal, NO but it is against the terms of use.

If he doesn't have his own account, with the receiver listed on that account it IS illegal. It's called account stacking, and D* will push for prosecution if they find out.

If he doesn't have his own account, with the receiver listed on that account it IS illegal. It's called account stacking, and D* will push for prosecution if they find out.

What law are they breaking?

What does it matter,Your buddies receivers just happend to be active ,even though he's not using them? Just because you get a signal doesn't mean they are activated. Sound Fishy.

What does it matter,Your buddies receivers just happend to be active ,even though he's not using them? Just because you get a signal doesn't mean they are activated. Sound Fishy.

Who said they weren't using them? I took the OP as they were currently active receivers and he wanted to take one with him. I personally would just sign up for a new account and get some free equipment with the activation.

Who said they weren't using them? I took the OP as they were currently active receivers and he wanted to take one with him. I personally would just sign up for a new account and get some free equipment with the activation.
It sounded like to me they aren't living together anymore. Someone has to be paying a bill!

It sounded like to me they aren't living together anymore. Someone has to be paying a bill!

Why wouldn't the roommate still be paying the bill? Just because he moved out of the house does not mean that the service was canceled.

I wouldn't pay for my roomates satellite bill. It sounded to me like they both went their seperate ways and split the receivers between the 2 of them

I wouldn't pay for my roomates satellite bill. It sounded to me like they both went their seperate ways and split the receivers between the 2 of them

I wouldn't either but I would not cancel my service. I would just deactivate the receiver. At that point it would be useless for my old roommate.

I wouldn't either but I would not cancel my service. I would just deactivate the receiver. At that point it would be useless for my old roommate.
Exactly. Now you see what I'm getting at. But maybe he should really explain a little better. Because if they are still living together ,then I don't see why they wouldn't just tell D* they moved.

What law are they breaking?

Why don't you contact DirecTV's Signal Integrity department and find out? I'm sure they would be happy to help you.:dev

Off of the top of my head, possibly Fraud, possibly 47USC605, and I'm sure they could come up with more.

EDIT to add: If they're still roommates, then there is no crime. I missed that part. If they are in separate residences, then it would be illegal.

Last edited:
This should help with your question.
(m) Change of Address. You must notify us immediately of any change in your name, mailing address, residence address or telephone number.

(b) Contact Information. You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete contact information about yourself, and maintain and promptly update your contact information to keep it true, accurate, and complete.

DIRECTV - Customer Agreement

Why don't you contact DirecTV's Signal Integrity department and find out? I'm sure they would be happy to help you.:dev

Off of the top of my head, possibly Fraud, possibly 47USC605, and I'm sure they could come up with more.

EDIT to add: If they're still roommates, then there is no crime. I missed that part. If they are in separate residences, then it would be illegal.

Sharing accounts or stacking as you say is very unethical but I still do not see the crime that would be involved. I personally think that D* would sue the individual for loss of revenue resulting from the shared service and that would be about as far as it would go. But that is just my opinion on the subject.

I guess you also think that moving is illegal?

heres the deal, sorry for the confusion

my 2 buddies used to live together, lets call them joey and chandler

joey moved out and chandler stayed there, chandler still pays for his directv service

when joey moved out he said hey ill pay half the bill if you still keep this one reciever activated, chandler said ok, the new house that joey moved into was already wired for directv service, dish up, peaked in, lines already ran

the reciever works at joeys new house since its still activated on chandlers account, no phone lines were ever hooked up to these 2 recievers

im wondering how directv can track this, how can they know they are at 2 different homes with no phone line connected.

im wondering how directv can track this, how can they know they are at 2 different homes with no phone line connected.
I don't really see the harm in it. I would say D* would never findout. But Yes Don't plug in you phone line. I'm not sure if they could tell anyother way! If it were me I wouldn't do it! But thats me!

I guess you also think that moving is illegal?
Its against the Terms and Conditions of the contract you signed when you accepted programming from Directv. And I would bet most all Directv and Dishnetwork customers wouldn't give them a false Address. This "Moving" is done mostly by people from DBStalk, Satellite guys,and other Satellite chats. Other then that ,Most people don't even have a clue there is such a thing, or even dream of lieing about their address. And there is a good deal of people in these forums that still don't use false addresses.

(m) Change of Address. You must notify us immediately of any change in your name, mailing address, residence address or telephone number.

(b) Contact Information. You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete contact information about yourself, and maintain and promptly update your contact information to keep it true, accurate, and complete.

I can keep posting this untill we all start to read it!

Last edited:
I wouldnt do it either, I was just trying to get some information so my buddy didnt get busted, thanks for the help guys, any other info would be great, keep posting if you know something!

Its against the Terms and Conditions of the contract you signed when you accepted programming from Directv. And I would bet most all Directv and Dishnetwork customers wouldn't give them a false Address. This "Moving" is done mostly by people from DBStalk, Satellite guys,and other Satellite chats. Other then that ,Most people don't even have a clue there is such a thing, or even dream of lieing about their address. And there is a good deal of people in these forums that still don't use false addresses.

I can keep posting this untill we all start to read it!

There is a big difference in the fact that it is against the terms of services and being illegal. If you noticed in my first post in this thread I already mentioned what the OP's friend was doing was against the terms of service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts