On Demand frustration

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No this MAC is different Media Access Control, each network adapter has it's own hardware address.

To see if you're getting the same address boot up your PC and check the address in the network connections folder, then connect the HR21 and do a menu->setup->system setup->network->advanced setup I believe will show you what DHCP is assigning to the HR21 as the IP address (I use static so it always shows what I entered).

If you can use both the xbox and PC it's probably not an IP address restriction, unless they limit to two. My guess is a DHCP issue with the cable modem or just some sort of network incompatibility issue with the switch. Try a static IP assignment.

my router is a linksys befsr41. i tried hooking it up to the cable modem and nothing so i unhooked it and left it unhooked but when i tried to go online i couldn't when i plugged the cable from the hr21 back into the router i could go online for about a minute then my router pops up saying i have limited connectivity. so tried restarting everything now it won't let me do anything with the router had to unhook it and just use my modem im going backwards here

my router is a linksys befsr41. i tried hooking it up to the cable modem and nothing so i unhooked it and left it unhooked but when i tried to go online i couldn't when i plugged the cable from the hr21 back into the router i could go online for about a minute then my router pops up saying i have limited connectivity. so tried restarting everything now it won't let me do anything with the router had to unhook it and just use my modem im going backwards here

OK, sorry to hear all the problems. Let's try this to see if we can get you back. Power off the cable modem, BEFSR41, your PC and your HR21. Recable everything back the way it should be, Linksys WAN port to cable modem ethernet port, PC to either of the port 1-4 jacks on the Linksys, the HR21's top port/port 1 to the Linksys one of the other port 1-4 jacks. Then 1st power up the cable modem and give it a few minutes to sync up with Comcast. Then the Linksys, again giving it a minute to boot up and get a WAN address assigned by Comcast. Then you can do your PC and HR21, hopefully at least your PC will be back up and running.

ok after a morning on the phone with linksys it WORKS!!!!! thanks guys for all your help BTW linksys had it messed up from when i hooked xbox up

ok after a morning on the phone with linksys it WORKS!!!!! thanks guys for all your help BTW linksys had it messed up from when i hooked xbox up

Can you let us know what Linksys had you change so if others say they're having problems we can see if it's the same issue and what to change? thanks

Original guy

No this MAC is different Media Access Control, each network adapter has it's own hardware address.

To see if you're getting the same address boot up your PC and check the address in the network connections folder, then connect the HR21 and do a menu->setup->system setup->network->advanced setup I believe will show you what DHCP is assigning to the HR21 as the IP address (I use static so it always shows what I entered).

Rad, I've played with this some and no luck. I'm wondering if what I need is a router instead of a switch.:confused:

redbandit I'm glad you got your setup fixed. My local cc has a router like yours in stock for $40.

Rad, I've played with this some and no luck. I'm wondering if what I need is a router instead of a switch.:confused:

redbandit I'm glad you got your setup fixed. My local cc has a router like yours in stock for $40.

I Googled the modem # you gave me and saw that it would act as a router if you did a firmware upgrade, wonder if there was still an issue with that? You might want to review the documention for that modem with the firmware upgrade and make sure it's configured for the router function. Or as you said, just spend the $'s and get a router. When I was working I did a lot of support for work at home folks and the Linksys BEFSR41 worked nicely for them. Good luck getting it resolved.

Final thought

I Googled the modem # you gave me and saw that it would act as a router if you did a firmware upgrade, wonder if there was still an issue with that? You might want to review the documention for that modem with the firmware upgrade and make sure it's configured for the router function. Or as you said, just spend the $'s and get a router. When I was working I did a lot of support for work at home folks and the Linksys BEFSR41 worked nicely for them. Good luck getting it resolved.

I believe that the modem has had the firmware upgrade and is configured for the router function. I will check. Another problem...and its a long story why not....revolving around PC stolen from my house....my LAN is not properly configured to do anything but let me connect to Internet from the different machines. So, I may have to properly do that first.

I am also thinking that since I can seamlessly connect 2 Desktops, a laptop, and a playstation 3, perhaps I need to push DTV to help me get the HR21 to do the same...I could retire and spend a year on hold. (Before you ask, I don't connect all of them at once...not enough ports...the laptop and PS3 share an ethernet cable when needed.)

Thanks to all for the help and I'll post if I get the whole thing settled.:up

I can't believe it!

I just got an e-mail from DTV with a number and PIN to call. The first CS rep said "This is getting out of my league, I will transfer you to the Internet department." I told him my problem, he had me go to menu>network>restore network defaults.

I did this and....voila...it worked!:D BUT here's the kicker. I must have tried this exact procedure 10 times before and it never worked.:confused: I don't know why or how but I am now connected. (let's hope it lasts...at least my PIN is good for 5 days.)

In the words of Edward R. Murrow (and Keith Olbermann).....GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK!

Finally got my VOD working: i have qwest dsl and had to set the ip settings on the hr21-700 - ip 192.168.0.70, sub 255.255.255.0, gw 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1 - the receiver showed up in my network on my pc, but it was doing the same as others have said, showing connected to network but not internet. Finally poked around on my router firewall settings by going to its address (the gw add = the router) and found that by default the receiver firewall settings were set to most protected like my pc - it gave me options like allow certain applications but i couldn't figure out anything that seemed in any way likely to be directv related - even tho there was an option listed for video & audio applications- so i went with qwest's version of open wide which they refer to as the DMZ - (my hr21 which had frozen from the previous network setup where it was attempting to connect so i rebooted it now)- and this time when i went through network setup on it, it connected immediately! VOILA'! So for now, i'll leave it wide open. By the way - i online chatted with somebody from qwest while i was poking around my firewall settings and they had no clue. Once my hr21 said it connected to the internet i was immediately able to go to On Demand and queue up some shows.

sideline: My 5lnb sat dish shows up today suppossedly so hopefully by tonight i'll also have HD working. My original install was last week but too many trees to put new dish in current 3lnb dish location on house so we had to install a post in the ground and the installer refused. So, week later & we're closer anyway. Why they had to make it a 2" tubular post i'll never know - i hear its metric. Dish apparently uses the US standard 1 5/8 which everybody has - nobody in my area had a 2". The original installer finally dropped one off after picking one up in her city and dropping it by saturday after another local install in my area. This all only took about 10 phone calls and 3 days to directv and the install company ironwood communications!

Sometimes you have to go into the router settings and do a ( release DCHP ) then get a new DHCP. Check the Linksys website to get the info on how to do that. Your IP should look something like 192.168.0. xxx
And usually the DNS is 192.168.0.100 for the first one and 192.168.0.101 for the second

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)