On Demand Requirements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
My parents are looking to upgrade their old D* system to give them on-demand options. Does anyone know what receiver is needed? They only view SD, so no need for anything fancy. Also do we need to move their router to the TV location from the computer room or just run a new ethernet cable?

DOD requriments

R22 DVR
Or any HR2x reciver HDDVR

Highspeed internet

Cat 5 cable from modem/router to reciver / or via wifi bridge or though dtv home plug adapters.

No clue.. Even my distributer is out and has no clue if they will get any more.. Never did understand the R22 anyway.. Might as we have been giving everyone HR2X's

No clue.. Even my distributer is out and has no clue if they will get any more.. Never did understand the R22 anyway.. Might as we have been giving everyone HR2X's

The problem is that they don't need the HD part, and, of course, the HD-ready receivers are a lot pricer than their SD counterparts. So they'd be paying extra for something they won't be using.

Well your sol it DOD is basically going to become a HD DVR only service.

As so far no other recivr are set to release that are sd and have dod . Not even the r22 is a sd reciver it was hardware identical to the hr22 ( just with a smaller drive. )

Any idea where to come up with one of these? Everyone seems to be sold out and even local installer said they're having a hard time finding them.

I did a quick google shopping search for 'directv r22 receiver' and found dozens of places claiming to have it in stock and offering it for ~$100.

Chances are pretty good that directv would give them a receiver of some sort for free or <$100, and wouldnt require HD service on it if they didnt want it.

I've got an HR20 with the internet connected.

I can download SD content just fine.

When I try to download any HD or 1080p HD content it just sits there in the queue at 0% for hours and hours.

Why ?

Yes, I have DIRECTV HD service.

Yes, I've rebooted the receiver.

My internet speed is 6 Mbps.

It's not doing it really, really slowly, it just isn't doing it.

The activity led on the ethernet powerline adapter doesn't blink at all.
When SD content is downloading the led on the powerline adapter is blinking really fast.

Hmm, weird. Never seen that. I've had them on occasion get stuck in the queue and when I restarted them, they'd go.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. DirecTV has been out to the house twice now. The first without the correct receiver, and the 2nd time STILL without a proper receiver for VOD.

Instead they brought a DVR for the bedroom, which they said was also on the order. This was incorrect as the order was to install a VOD-capable receiver in the living room, and then move the living room DVR into the bedroom. After further debate, they said they would schedule a 3rd visit in order to set things straight, but it would require upgrading the dish, and everything in the house to HD receivers. We told them to not bother.

This seems like it should have been a fairly easy upgrade, but for whatever reason it has been a nightmare. So, after being top-tier paying customers since the days of Primestar, my Dad is calling Verizon today to get FiOS. As much as we like DirecTV, I can't say I blame him at this point.

By directv view only HD-DVRs are VOD so if you order a standard dvr it wont be vod capable.

While the R22 is VOD capable is no longer made and is not readily available. Also there is no way in our order system to specify a R22 .

But all HD-DVRs are vod capable.

I dont know what you wre looking for but it clearly states for VOD HD Equipment is required. The whole house does not need to go HD just the tv you want vod on.

I dont know what you wre looking for but it clearly states for VOD HD Equipment is required. The whole house does not need to go HD just the tv you want vod on.

I think that is how all the confusion started in the first place. When the order was placed via the phone with D*, they said SD VOD was not a problem, and they were placing the order for the R22.

This resulted in the first visit to the house, where the guy gets ready to go, then realizes he needs an R22. Calls his company, and they don't have any. He says to call D* to order one. Another phone call to D* ended with them saying they didn't have one handy, but to go to Best Buy and pick one up in person. Best Buy didn't have any R22's either (not the first time D* has sent them on a wild goose chase to BB). Called back to D* and they got in touch with the local installer and told them they had to come up with an R22 for the customer. D* calls back with new installation date, and states that the R22 will be there.

Second trip out by the installer, no R22, but they have a new DVR for the bedroom, which, wasn't needed, since the whole point was to move the Living Room DVR to the bedroom. That's when the installer gave the line about having to upgrade everything in the house, because they'll need HD to do VOD.

Our question is why wasn't this D*'s line from the beginning? When the initial order was made, the CSR never mentioned needing HD, nor did the installer mention it until the 2nd trip out.

I used to reserve this line solely for E*, but it seems to apply here, that with D*, in this instance the left hand had no clue what the right hand was doing.

It's unfortunate because they're going to lose a long time, high-paying customer out of it because they feel like they've been led all over town for something that seemed so simple.

Honestly if they had been told at the beginning about needing HD for VOD, I'm sure they would've considered it, and all would have been fine, but, as anyone knows, frustration builds over time and it's hard to repair that.

Sorry to double post after myself, but I do want to add something.

Stonecold- I'm guessing you are an installer from all of the posts I see you make. It's a shame that you don't serve our area, because you seem like an installer who takes the time to understand the product, and do your best to make sure the D* product grows and expands.

I'm sure it frustrates you to see how certain things are handled, especially when you would have done them a lot differently. D* should be very proud to have someone like you representing them.

I really wish things would have turned out differently in our situation, and it's a shame that a local installer, combined with some uninformed CSR's can push people away.

I can tell you right now there no way to order an r22 from directv.

Order i would of order a ton of them.

OMS our order managment system. says SD DVR .... You cant pick a model.
OMS determines the model. based on aera .

R22 are not even in our system any more. so anything that might be out ther is old stock

P.S.

I am not an installer I am a billing department supervisor

My internet speed is 6 Mbps.

It's not doing it really, really slowly, it just isn't doing it.

The activity led on the ethernet powerline adapter doesn't blink at all.
When SD content is downloading the led on the powerline adapter is blinking really fast.

Powerline adapters suck. High speed is not meant to travel on power lines. There are many technical reasons for this. Mainly that the insertion loss and impedance over the frequency range is very poor. Broadband over powerlines is a most recent example of this technology failure.

Use a wireless b/g or n adapter to your router.

Powerline adapters suck. High speed is not meant to travel on power lines. There are many technical reasons for this. Mainly that the insertion loss and impedance over the frequency range is very poor. Broadband over powerlines is a most recent example of this technology failure.

Use a wireless b/g or n adapter to your router.

You must have missed the part where I said SD programs download just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)