? on out of market local

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
Greetings Gang

I will be moving to another town in a few weeks and I have a question about out of market DMA locals. and I can't get any OTA service without spending thousands of dollars for OTA system that would be setup on a mountain top antenna site:yikes

by my new zip code 41649 I'm in the Huntington/Charleston WV market (80+ miles away). My local CBS affiliate WYMT 57 (40+ miles away, this is the only station that covers local events) and is not on any of the DBS systems. although its sister station WKYT 27(100+ miles away) is on both D* and E* systems buts its in the Lexington, Ky DMA which I'm not eligible for (I would rather have the Lexington channels). will E* allow me to pick this 1 channel up as ala-carte extra:confused: if so how much would the charge be for the 1 out market DMA channel.

Thanks
Darrell B
meldar_b

nope. DIsh would love to sell you all the stations you want, but the FCC and NAB have other ideas :(

All you're allowed to get is what locals are in your Designated Market Area (DMA). The only thing you could do is "move" (do a search on it)

But with the tightening of spotbeams even moving might be out of the question

thanks for the replay ;)

unfortunately I'm not a current E* subscriber yet:rolleyes: so the move option won't help. Its too bad the feds are getting in the way of someones "Choice" :p of what they want to watch. I will be moving too either D* or E* in the next few weeks. Right now I'm doing some research on the 2 services. I have had both services in the past I had D* from 1994 to 2000 and after some billing issues with my local rural co-op for D* I dropped D* moved over to E*. I left E* for Charter Cable in June of 2K3 for the Internet service only(their cable quality sucks by the way!) the only problem I had with E* was the over compression of the channels. I sure hope both services are putting quality first... :eek: I guess not huh

Iceberg said:
But with the tightening of spotbeams even moving might be out of the question

Where can I find out about the "tightening of spotbeams"? I'm currently receiving DC's spotbeam in NYC, and would like to get HD.

Is there a list that shows which HD stations are on which transponders? If I find out which transponder the DC locals are on, and if NY customers receive it, am I done??

Sorry for all of these questions that have surely been asked hundreds of times. But I've been unable to digest using the forum search tool. If there's a central FAQ or such, would love to have it!

tamntm2 said:
Where can I find out about the "tightening of spotbeams"? I'm currently receiving DC's spotbeam in NYC, and would like to get HD.

I've also got a question about this.
I'm in southern VT and just in the past few days lost my Burlington locals.
COuld the tightening of the spots be the cause of this?

Also, my mother lives near Harrisburg PA and use to recieve the Burlington locals as well (she grew up there and liked to keep up on the news). Would that be her problem as well?

yep

when they moved locals to E10 they really tightened the spotbeam. Where I live, I had 6 cities on spotbeams (Sioux Falls, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Omaha, Mpls, Duluth)

now 2 (Mpls, Duluth). The rest got moved and shifted

I think E* will have to 'tweak' there spotbeams somewhat, as I've read several complaints from posters that their local market transponder signal levels are in the 50's..........talk about rain fade issues!

sikma said:
I think E* will have to 'tweak' there spotbeams somewhat, as I've read several complaints from posters that their local market transponder signal levels are in the 50's..........talk about rain fade issues!

They may have to do a small bit, but most were done to prevent people from getting channels not in their area. Best way to prevent is to ensure they can't get them by just "Moving". Blame the FCC for this.

I thought the spot beams were configured in such a way as to not interfere with other spots. The FCC forced a 'one-dish' solution for locals and E* was forced to build new spot-beam sats. to be able to comply, it had nothing to do with the FCC worried about people 'moving.'

Sv Channels

What Happened To The Significantly Viewed Channels Issue Where You Could Possibly Receive Out Of Market Locals?????????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)