self install new account

chewey

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Here's the deal. My brother is ready to jump into the Dish realm now that he has an HDTV. I know satellite stuff so I am researching the best deal for him. He has a huge house so he will need multiple receivers.

I'm concerned about a few things. First, I'm worried about the quality of the install he may receive. Second, we're a little hesitent about the 18 month commitment Dish requires. Third, it's tough to justify the $300 "upgrade" fee Dish charges for the 622 when it is just a lease.

So here's my question. Does Dish require the 18 month commitment if you purchase and install your own equipment? I can do the install for him, and I can probably get it done sooner based upon the experiences people have been having getting a 622 install. Plus, I'm thinking if he just buys a 622 from dishstore.net, he can always recoup some of that cost later by selling on ebay. Plus we can get some older receivers on ebay for the multiple rooms.

Any thoughts?

I could be wrong but i believe if you dont sign the 18 month agreement when you first sign up, you dont get a 49.99 credit on your first bill and you also dont get the DH|PP free for the 18 months either. Other than that I don't think there is a difference, If im wrong someone will correct me :D

I self-installed five years ago. Just bought the equipment and called into dish when it was all hooked up. Don't think I had any agreement and I sure never signed anything as no one ever came out.

Look in the phone book and contact a retailer or dealer that is local. Be sure that they are local and use their own installers or install the systems themselves. I'm sure you would get a much better install then calling an 800# or ordering thru the internet. In fact if you call someone local, ask them to come over to the house for a pre-install site survey and work with them on the installation process. I always meet the customer at their house prior to the sale and installation so we both understand what each other is going to require to do. Maybe just me, but I would never sign someone up and hand them the equipment to install. Good luck.

Self install's dont go for dish, you can run the cables if you want but the dish and the receivers have to be put in by a tech to be covered under a warranty,

Anyone can do a self install, but as a dealer my general rule of thumb is that if your gonna install it yourself, then your gonna buy the equipment at full price.

If your gonna lease, then a professional installation is required.

Its like this, I had a lady call on the phone and she got information about getting a system with a FREE install with FREE equipment. she shows up in my store a day later wanting to do me a favor and just pick up the equipment do the install herself.

After asking some questions she lives in canada and was gonna use a US address to setup service.

The problem is if she where to cancel, how would I get my equipment back?

rdinkel said:
Have done all of my own installs for over 10 years, and I have the $1.99 warranty.;)

Then your pulling a fast one somehow, dish moved away from self install kits and self installs in general about 5 years ago.

I originally did a self install and over the years added and changed stuff to finally I had 7 receivers. With all the new equipment coming out and my need to change equipment to supply 5 HDTV's, I cancelled and went to cable for a while and then came back as new customer under the 18 month deal. I got a 622 and two 211's for $399 and a Dish 1000 which also gives me the DPP for a year. Also took advantage of the Dish $100 back offer. The installer was not great, but I just corrected some issues when he left and pointed out some while he was there and all is okay.

I installed a DP44, a 522, and two more 211's and had them ready to go, when the installer showed up, I installed the other 211's and 622 while he was swapping Dish's. He still took about 5 hours to get a proper signal on 129, but I wouldn't let him leave until it was good, about 90 on 129 and 100-104 on 119 and 110. I modified the old dish 500 with new parts from the dishstore and get 125 percent off of the 61.5.

I would go with a local company install, as long as they don't have a bad rep. The 18 month deal is not that bad.

sprintcarcrazy said:
I originally did a self install and over the years added and changed stuff to finally I had 7 receivers. With all the new equipment coming out and my need to change equipment to supply 5 HDTV's, I cancelled and went to cable for a while and then came back as new customer under the 18 month deal. I got a 622 and two 211's for $399 and a Dish 1000 which also gives me the DPP for a year. Also took advantage of the Dish $100 back offer. The installer was not great, but I just corrected some issues when he left and pointed out some while he was there and all is okay.

I installed a DP44, a 522, and two more 211's and had them ready to go, when the installer showed up, I installed the other 211's and 622 while he was swapping Dish's. He still took about 5 hours to get a proper signal on 129, but I wouldn't let him leave until it was good, about 90 on 129 and 100-104 on 119 and 110. I modified the old dish 500 with new parts from the dishstore and get 125 percent off of the 61.5.

I would go with a local company install, as long as they don't have a bad rep. The 18 month deal is not that bad.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about doing the same thing, leasing a 622 and a 625, and then just adding the extra receivers myself. However, now that the 622 has dropped down to $499, the lease deal isn't looking all that great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts