Once again, SatGuys Saved my Bacon

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
After 14 years I dumped Dish and arranged for DirecTV to be installed today. When I talked to the DirecTV rep on the phone, I verified that I would be receiving an HR24 receiver, and he said, “Absolutely.”

An hour ago I received a call from the DirecTV installer saying that he was on his way, and, remembering something I had read on SatGuys, I asked the installer if he was bringing an HR24. He said he didn’t have one, so he was bringing an HR23. So I did as the SatGuys poster said to do, I told the installer that I didn’t want the HR23; I wanted the HR24 that the DirecTV rep had promised me, and that I would schedule another install when there was an HR24 available.

A few minutes later, the DirecTV installer called me back and said that his office had some HR24’s available, but he would have to drive back to his office to get one. I said, “Fine. I will be here all afternoon.”

I’m waiting for him to arrive. I felt sorry for him, but I want the newer, faster receiver, and it’s not my fault that DirecTV has communication problems with their field techs.

DirecTV probably relies on the fact that most new customers wouldn’t know an HR24 from a kangaroo, and that gives them an opportunity to offload older machines. Add that to the fact that I live in a retirement community where the majority of people know very little about technology, and it’s a goldmine for vendors of technology.

Would you recommend I give the installer a $10 or $20 tip?

Thanks, SatGuys.

Richard

If he does a good job, and considering he did go back, I would probably give him a small tip. Hope it all goes well. Questions and concerns? We are here to help :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Dish does the same thing with their ViP receivers (622/722/722k all considered the same) though Dish's older receivers aren't horrid like Dtv's. Can do the same thing (reschedule call) if you need the bigger HDD, Sling Adapter, or dual OTA. Anyway, as for the tip, $20 seems a little excessive for a tip unless the installer did an absolutely stellar job. I'd probably give $10 as it more than covers gas for the extra trip + some extra money for him.

This would probably be better off in the Dtv forum though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Do they? When I recently upgraded my parents I asked for a 722k, and that is what was sent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

$20 seems a little excessive for a tip unless the installer did an absolutely stellar job. I'd probably give $10 as it more than covers gas for the extra trip + some extra money for him.

Although all tips are appreciated, $10 don't get you much of anything anymore, especially gas. $20 is the norm now-a-days.

Dish does the same thing with their ViP receivers (622/722/722k all considered the same) though Dish's older receivers aren't horrid like Dtv's. Can do the same thing (reschedule call) if you need the bigger HDD, Sling Adapter, or dual OTA. Anyway, as for the tip, $20 seems a little excessive for a tip unless the installer did an absolutely stellar job. I'd probably give $10 as it more than covers gas for the extra trip + some extra money for him.

This would probably be better off in the Dtv forum though.

God I would hate to do anything for you.:eek:

I've given $20 tips for installs and similar for years, even for not so stellar work. I'm glad I have been able to afford to.

Installing is more than making a system work right or having certain equipment. Hauling off your trash & boxes, not dragging the outdoors indoors, communication before arrival & plainly explaining pre install objectives, being respectful of customers property & personal belongings, instructional tutoring on installed equipment, installation meeting company guidelines & satisfying customer at the same time & most important being professional & courteous. Installers are getting paid to be at your house & do their job. Either way tips are not expected & should be the sole judgment of the customer. If you're satisfied & want to show your appreciation it is a nice gesture regardless of the amount.

Oh crap! My installer did a good job (dug a new cable trench in 90 degree weather) and crawled around in our 18" crawl space. My husband paid him for the digging, but perhaps we should have tipped him? Hmmm...how do I email him a Starbuck's card or something?

NotMe546 said:
God I would hate to do anything for you.:eek:

Well my installers loved me I ran all the wiring and probably did about half of the work both times. Maybe if they did everything I would've tipped higher.

I'm cross-posting this on both the Dish and DTV forums because the people on the Dish forum were very good with helping me make the decision to switch to DTV. But from now on I will be posting only on the DTV forum. Thank you, Dish forum people, for all the help you have given me over the years. Bye (but I might be back in 2 years when my DTV contract expires).

The installer left 1.5 hours ago, and I gave him a $20 tip. He was friendly, competent, and extremely professional. He doesn't work for DTV; he's an independent contractor.

So far, I like what I have seen with DTV, but after 14 years with Dish, it's going to take me several days to learn a new system.

Some things seem to require a few more button pushes but nothing outlandish.

I have a new HR24, and the quide might be slightly slower than Dish's guide, but I'm not sure that it is.

I'm cross-posting this on both the Dish and DTV forums because the people on the Dish forum were very good with helping me make the decision to switch to DTV. But from now on I will be posting only on the DTV forum. Thank you, Dish forum people, for all the help you have given me over the years. Bye (but I might be back in 2 years when my DTV contract expires).

The installer left 1.5 hours ago, and I gave him a $20 tip. He was friendly, competent, and extremely professional. He doesn't work for DTV; he's an independent contractor.

So far, I like what I have seen with DTV, but after 14 years with Dish, it's going to take me several days to learn a new system.

Some things seem to require a few more button pushes but nothing outlandish.

I have a new HR24, and the quide might be slightly slower than Dish's guide, but I'm not sure that it is.

SpencerCat, I was very glad that you cross-posted. I am currently a Dish user, but I learned something to file away in case I need to switch to DirectTV, and I do not read the DirectTV forum. Thank you!

JSheridan said:
Although all tips are appreciated, $10 don't get you much of anything anymore, especially gas. $20 is the norm now-a-days.

Would've been more than enough for the gas to get the extra receiver plus some lunch or something. As I said if they did a great job (no trash left behind, no shortcuts, etc.) then sure maybe $20 but I'm not going to just throw cash at any old job. It's not about being cheap or poor or stingy, it's about the installer actually doing their job professionally.

geez now I feel bad too! I went from Dish to Direct, it was an extremely hot day in July, I gave the installer plenty of bottled water, (and some to take with him) and it never dawned on me to tip him. When I go to the usual places (hair, nails restaurant) I'm usually a very good tipper. He was a very nice guy and was great to chat with. I feel bad and now hope he doesn't think I'm a cheapskate. :(.. It really never ever occured to me. I'm thinking I had a pretty "easy" job, as compared to some., No digging. no crawling around in small spacers. Install the dish, and 2 receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)