Once more with feeling

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
Here are the specs from my TV. Am I going to notice/care about the HD-Lite issue?
I have NO HD source at this time, so nothing to compare it to.

It's a Hitachi 50VS810

720p High-Definition Display

Panel Resolution:................1280x720

VirtualHD™ 1080p Video Processor- Automatic 1080i 3:2 Film Processing

1080i/720p/480p/480i Input Compatible

It has two HDMI connections on the back.

I think I can talk to Wifey into the $49.00 upgrade to a 211/411.

You might notice but I would not let this stop you from upgrading to a 211.

My Sony LCD projection has a resolution of 1368 x 768 and I can tell the difference. You might or might not.

Go for it. You wont regret it.

The picture on the HDLite channels will be great, just not quite as great as the uncompressed channels, if you can tell the difference. Both type pictures are great when compared to the SD channels. Only people with the most critical eye can tell the difference between regular HD and HD Lite anyway. Everyone will notice the difference between SD and HD or HDLite.

It's not too hard to see the difference, especially from "up close" (3-4'), but as others have said - don't let that stop you from enjoying everything HD and HD-Lite currently have to offer. Far superior to SD or ED.

That said, I still support the effort to stop HD-Lite...

I just find it totally amazing that people with displays that do not have the resolution level that material is being broadcast in can "tell the difference". If a channel on Dish is being broadcast in 1440 x 1080, then only a display device capable of 1440x1080 or higher is going to see a difference in "HD vs. HDLite". The OP's display is 1280 x 720. He will not see a difference because his set does not even match the vertical or horizontal. His picture will look great. And it will look better in OTA digital, particularly on 720p source material such as ABC. But as far as "telling the difference" in HD vs. HDLite, he will never see a difference.

Want to know something funny, some of the people moaning about HD Lite on Dish do not have a HD Receiver for Dish, or do not subscribe to Dish at all.

I myself would be VERY happy if they moved VOOM up from 1280 x 1080i to 1440 x 1080i. Maybe this will happen when they make the fake MPEG4 channels into real MPEG4 channels.

Stacy A said:
I just find it totally amazing that people with displays that do not have the resolution level that material is being broadcast in can "tell the difference"... But as far as "telling the difference" in HD vs. HDLite, he will never see a difference.

That's not 100% true. There IS an issue with loss of quality inherrant with altering the original signal.

I don't have a 1920 capable display, but I CAN tell the difference. It's just not enough to really bother me. I'm more bothered by compression issues. If downrezzing can reduce the compression, I don't really have a problem with it.

Eventually, things will settle out and different channels will broadcast in different resolutions. A channel that shows mostly movies or in-studio programming should probably be broadcasting in full 1920 x 1080i. Sports channels will probably do better in 1280 x 720p. BUT, for a channel like Rush, which is probably mostly produced with small cameras, you might as well go to 1440x1080i or lower, because that's what most everything is produced in. There just aren't that many 1920 x 1080 capable cameras out in the field.

But I do agree with you...people who don't have 1920 capable displays should be bothered.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I myself would be VERY happy if they moved VOOM up from 1280 x 1080i to 1440 x 1080i. Maybe this will happen when they make the fake MPEG4 channels into real MPEG4 channels.

I personally think 1440 x 1080i is going to become the norm for most channels. More and more programming will be produced in 1440 x 1080i now that quality, affordable HD cameras are here in full force. (Although personally, I have my eye on the JVC HD100 which only does 1280 x 720p.)

bhelms said:
It's not too hard to see the difference, especially from "up close" (3-4'), but as others have said - don't let that stop you from enjoying everything HD and HD-Lite currently have to offer. Far superior to SD or ED.

That said, I still support the effort to stop HD-Lite...

:clap

Watch out...most SatelliteGuys members don't take kindly to people with logical, reasonable viewpoints!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)