One Cable Two Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ironace

Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I would like to run a 811 and a 508 off of the same cable. Can this be done? If yes what hardware do I need?

I currently have an sw-64 and I am not sure what LNBF's as they are on the roof.

I am getting a second dish installed on the 18th and dishnetwork said that any hardware that the installer needs to upgrade will be free.

PS I know that a second cable would be Ideal but it would involve lots of drywall repair due to the placement of the TV.

There's a slight chance that 2 lines from the switch into a diplexer, cable goes to your room, then a diplexer to split to the 2 receivers might, MIGHT just do it.

Dish Pro Plus LNBs or a DP44 would only help if you had a 942 (in this case) -- shoot that'd be the perfect receiver for you! The 2nd receiver fee would be waived where you'd be paying the DVR fee. 1 output is HD, 1 output's SD [but both have HD tuners]...

Unfortunately upgrading to such is $250 (plus $5 a month) to lease or $639 to buy O_O Selling the 508 and the 811 might help ya eat that cost (if you own them) a little :)

I would love to get a 942 but dishnetwork says no to leasing for me...... the wife would say no to the $250 fee anyway, and she would make me live with the dogs if I bought it out right. I was lucky the wife is letting me get the 811 (should be here monday)

won't work off one line, not really,
sometimes you may get one of the satellites, but its not even worth the hassle, cause most likely you are just going to end up not being able to use either reciever that way,
unfortunately my only option besides running another line would be too put in a push button switch that is usually used to switch between cable of antenna, or whatever, unfortunately that option may be trial and error to find one that will pass the voltage on both sides, i have done it once for a guy that wanted to have his directv receiver and his dish network receiver hooked up so he could switch between the two, but couldnt run another line.
we put a two way push button switch inside and outside, and for some reason it worked...

If I put the 508 near the SW-64 (it is in the house... inside my network box) could I run a sat feed from the switch to the 508 and then use a diplexer to combine the output from the 508 and the sat feed for the 811 then diplexer to tv and 811? Sort of like back feeding???

Before I forget to say it..... Thanks for everyones input!!

SimpleSimon said:
No there isn't. That's NOT what diplexers are for.

Diplexers are for combining a satellite input signal with an RF-out signal. One diplexer at one end of the line combines the two, the 2nd at the other end separates them.

In all honesty, you really need to find a way to get a second line into the house. Dish sat lines just cannot be split unless you are using dual tuners w/ DP Plus technology.

Ironace said:
If I put the 508 near the SW-64 (it is in the house... inside my network box) could I run a sat feed from the switch to the 508 and then use a diplexer to combine the output from the 508 and the sat feed for the 811 then diplexer to tv and 811? Sort of like back feeding???

Before I forget to say it..... Thanks for everyones input!!

You can definitely do that, provided that your current dish config is giving you all the programming you need from all the orbital locations required. If that's in place, then yes. I use diplexers to distribute my 510's all through the house. Yeah I know, a dual tuner that costs $10 more a month, but I'm not real big on upgrading receivers until I know what is going on w/ MPEG4

BlueBoar's got it. Should work fine. I do that type of thing all the time.

In fact, I'll be doing almost exactly that at an install I did Friday. I'm going to split the TV2 output of a 625 at the main junction box, using one side to the original location, and diplex the other onto the 811 sat feed so that the big TV can view recorded programs.

With the $250 ripoff for a 942, that's a pretty common install for me.

what i would do is get UHF frequency agile modulator and than do what you posted with sending the 508 backfeed along with your 811 sat feed. this way you can scan for local channels and it should pick up your assigned channel you pick and you could actually watch your 508 through your 811. it won't come in anything but standard def, but you wouldn't have to turn your 811 off and switch to antenna on your TV. also you could split your 508 signal before you go into the diplexor for extra TV'S in the house, pick up a couple of remotes and your there

more is better

This doesn't exactly answer the original question but applies to feeding lots of signals through the house.

This similar thread discusses UHF modulators and back-feeding.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=103170&highlight=Radio+Shack
I'll just add that my buddy used three modulators, and had to get a $20 filter to isolate them from the cable system.
But his distribution system had cable channels up through about 80, folllowed by modulators about 82, 85, and 88 carrying his three sat receivers.

SimpleSimon said:
With the $250 ripoff for a 942, that's a pretty common install for me.

Yeah, our sales partners out how here have figured that one out... they are really getting good at their wording over the phone to would be customers.... things like "HD DVR"... when said the right way is all the customer needs to hear, AND, when said the right way, the sales partner is free from retribution from Dish. Of course, what they REALLY mean is 1 510 and 1 811. The customer gets upset when you tell them what this combination REALLY does when doing the site survey, and you end up feeling bad, and don't want to lose the job, and end up diplexing the 510 into their 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)