One Dish Service - Two Contracts

grafur

Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Wisconsin
Due to all the trouble we've had with the VIP612, replaced 3 of them, and my cnostant calling Dish they let us out of the two year contract early (1yr). and waived the earily termination fee. Great.
That was two days ago.
Today we got a bill showing that our Credit Card has been charged $800 by Caddot Cellular, the people we went to to sign up for the Dish Satellite service. They had made us sign Their seperate contract before we could get the service. We thought it was all the same deal.
Is it legal for the second contract to be forced on us in order to receive Dish servece? Does any other Authorized Retailer do this? Dish says they don't allow that, yet--
Any ideas, help?
Tom

The only advice I could give you is to look at the contract that you signed and read all of the provisions. If they were in fact acting as an agent for Dish, then any action by Dish should take precedent. It may be a case for small claims court to get your money back. I don't see where they would lose that kind of money by Dish releasing you from the contract. Can't believe their commission would amount to that much.

A word of advice for the future (and for others that may read this):

1. Read anything you sign thoroughly. I trust no one and never rely on verbal utterances by sales people.

2. Don't give ANYONE an autopay on your bank account, and if you want to do it with a credit card, use a virtual number which can be limited by both time and dollar amount. That's what I do and they can only use that number once for the amount I specify. I have Citi card that provides virtual account numbers - not sure who else may offer the service. Best financial tool I've seen for this day and age.

I realize some may diss my methods, but I never have problems like this.

Good luck, hope you get your money back - that's a tough hit.

Call your cc company immediatly and protest the charge, don't even pretend you know what or who Caddot Cellular, is. When will people ever learn with these lease contracts?????????????????

Sounds like you signed a third party contract - if you read the fine print you will probably see somewhere where it states they will charge you if they get a chargeback from dish.

The satellite companies charge back retailers when a customer cancels before their contract is up. So to cover their buts they have their customer sign an agreement to be charged if they cancel early.

Sorry that it happened to you - I learned a while ago to try to read and understand the fine print.

Since the cancel was Es fault they should waive the chrgeback to the dealer to be fair.

You don't know Dish very well..... When you buy from a local retailer (something I encourage) they are on the hook for your 24 month contract as well. Everything they get paid for the install and sometimes the equipment, is pulled back by Dish if you cancel early, even if Dish waives their fees to you. We used to have a second contract until laws changed recently and now we can't.

Regardless if Dish lets you out of your contract early, the retailer you bought it through would have been better off to have never met you if you cancel early. They will be in the hole $100's of dollars.

It may seem unfair (I believe that it is) but it is the price of doing business with Dish, or Direct for that matter.

When we do a "Dish-Mover" for a customer they have no contract extension at all, but if they cancel within a year Dish pulls all the money they paid us for the mover back, explain how that is fair?

Now if the retailer you bought it through wasn't there for you when you were having problems, then you pick a poor retailer and IMO they should loose money. If they had been there for you, maybe your problem would have never gotten that bad.

Brad

I WAS a E retailer and quit largely over the chargeback issues,,,,,,,

there are lots of legit reasons subs cancel that arent the dealers fault.

people die, get divorced, move to locations with no LOS get il, get foreclosed on etc etc etc.

these are all totally out of the dealers control but yet they are penalized

We used to have a second contract until laws changed recently and now we can't.

Now if the retailer you bought it through wasn't there for you when you were having problems, then you pick a poor retailer and IMO they should loose money. If they had been there for you, maybe your problem would have never gotten that bad.

Brad
A couple questions if you please: What does E stand for?
Can you tell me in what states or is it a federal law and when was this law inacted that prohibits the dual contracts?
What does Dish charge the retailers for charge back? Is it a flat fee or prorated as they do with the customer? That is $12.50/month up to $300.00.
How could I find out if in fact Cadott Cellular DID receive a charge back?

I totally agree that it is unfair and very bad business to charge back when Dish agreed it was their problem and canceled the contract with no early termination fee.

The original installer, Cadott Cellular was notified by Dish that there was a problem and was dispatched to check it out. He did not come at the appointed time and no one was home. He wouldn't return my calls for him to return at an approiate time to finish his service call so I called Dish again and they sent a different tech out. He had to completely reinstall the system from dish to DVR because it wasn't up to Dish code. The original installer didn't do it correctly in the first place.
During that time on the phone with Dish the DVR acted up again after the reinstall (the tech was still here) so I asked that the contract be terminated at no penalty instead of going with the 4th replaced DVR. It was agreed upon.
I will look into the "Virtual Number" for future Credit Card usage.
Thanks to everyone.
Tom

there are lots of legit reasons subs cancel that arent the dealers fault.

people die, get divorced, move to locations with no LOS get il, get foreclosed on etc etc etc.

these are all totally out of the dealers control but yet they are penalized

and amazingly, none of those are Dish's or Directs fault either.

A couple questions if you please: What does E stand for?
Can you tell me in what states or is it a federal law and when was this law inacted that prohibits the dual contracts?
What does Dish charge the retailers for charge back? Is it a flat fee or prorated as they do with the customer? That is $12.50/month up to $300.00.
How could I find out if in fact Cadott Cellular DID receive a charge back?

I totally agree that it is unfair and very bad business to charge back when Dish agreed it was their problem and canceled the contract with no early termination fee.

The original installer, Cadott Cellular was notified by Dish that there was a problem and was dispatched to check it out. He did not come at the appointed time and no one was home. He wouldn't return my calls for him to return at an approiate time to finish his service call so I called Dish again and they sent a different tech out. He had to completely reinstall the system from dish to DVR because it wasn't up to Dish code. The original installer didn't do it correctly in the first place.
During that time on the phone with Dish the DVR acted up again after the reinstall (the tech was still here) so I asked that the contract be terminated at no penalty instead of going with the 4th replaced DVR. It was agreed upon.
I will look into the "Virtual Number" for future Credit Card usage.
Thanks to everyone.
Tom

E stands for Echostar or "Dish". I believe it is a Washington State law. They take back all the money the retailer was paid for the original job, and depending on how soon you cancel, maybe the reimbursement for the equipment they supplied. It sounds like you unfortunately ended up dealing with a very poor retailer. I would dispute the charges, although I don't think you'll win in the end, you most likely signed the contract.

Bob Haller said:

I didn't sense any sarcasm in you original post and was pointing out what you seem to already know. E doesn't waive charge-backs to any dealer for any reason.

there are lots of legit reasons subs cancel that arent the dealers fault. people die, get divorced, move to locations with no LOS get il, get foreclosed on etc etc etc.

Since when are any of those, other than dying, legitimate reasons to get out of a contract?

Brad

Last edited:
Wouldn't finishing out your term and reducing to one receiver only with a minimum service level for another year been much cheaper then a $800 penalty?

Something for all you lease victims/gamers to think about!

I would go through with a CC protest, the burden of proof will be on the company to prove you owe them that much money and that you authoized them to get it automatically through a CC.

E stands for Echostar or "Dish". I believe it is a Washington State law. They take back all the money the retailer was paid for the original job, and depending on how soon you cancel, maybe the reimbursement for the equipment they supplied. It sounds like you unfortunately ended up dealing with a very poor retailer. I would dispute the charges, although I don't think you'll win in the end, you most likely signed the contract.

I didn't sense any sarcasm in you original post and was pointing out what you seem to already know. E doesn't waive charge-backs to any dealer for any reason.

Since when are any of those, other than dying, legitimate reasons to get out of a contract?

Brad

Well I sold a box to Jeff a admin of the old DBSFORUMS at cost.

He liked changing premiums frequently. This somehow flagged him as a thief and he was turned off..... I was chargebacked as a voluntary disconnect. jeff wasnt a thief, he didnt mind paying the 5 bucks each time, he just changed often.

well I was friends with mike lehto who appeared on E chats, he got jeff turned back on, but I never got my chargeback back.

Last I heard jeff still must go thru the nazi group to make any account changes. I wonder how jeff is doing last I taked to him he had lost 70 pounds after weight loss surgery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts