One Hopper and Three Joeys wiring

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Would it actually be a "tap" coming off the Host port that would feed the Hopper and one Joey and then a splitter coming of the Node port going to the other two Joeys?

Would it actually be a "tap" coming off the Host port that would feed the Hopper and one Joey and then a splitter coming of the Node port going to the other two Joeys?

Not unless you need a Hopper and a Joey fed off of one coax line, like say you only have one coax line going into the basement and need a Hopper and Joey down there.

mfoster711 said:

Depends obviously on your set up.

There are multiple ways to set up a 1h 3 j set up.

Single node , 2 cables from node, 1 on host, one on client:

Cable to tap from host line, 1 cable to H from tap and one from tap to j, then 1 cable from client port on node to splitter, 1 cable from each port on the splitter to each j.

Or...

One line straight to h from client port on node, and one line to 3 way splitter to the 3 j's after the spltter.

Just remember one of the rules of install is no more than 2 components between the node and hopper/joey's.

Looks like you could even put a three way splitter after the tap on a solo node.

That's a lot of flexibility for wiring.

Thinking about 1 Hopper 3 Joey setup with the 3rd Joey hooked up in my shed just 20 steps from my back door...installer I talked to said it could be done but I wanted to hear the sat guys experts thought on this...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
i'm assuming ashutto20 means third joey. It should work as long as you follow the distance limitations. (Although i don't know how much it will cost you to get a wire run from your home to a shed.)

Week 3 training pdf has a listing of the following:
  • Maximum 200-foot cable length from LNBF to farthest Hopper
  • Maximum 200-foot cable length between any Hopper and Joey

pulled from their training site (click weekly uptraining and 2012): https://rweb.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/rtp.shtml

sparc said:
Looks like you could even put a three way splitter after the tap on a solo node.

That's a lot of flexibility for wiring.

I just confirmed from my manager that yes that is possible.

But two 2 way splitters is not possible after the tap since that makes a total of 3 components between the node and reciever&clients ( hopper&joeys).

Could I have the installer get wires and whats needed to put in the shed and then just get one of my Joeys out of the house and use the tv in the shed as needed???

So I would get 1Hopper 2 Joeys as opposed to getting that extra Joey and fee...

Could I have the installer get wires and whats needed to put in the shed and then just get one of my Joeys out of the house and use the tv in the shed as needed???

the advertising makes it sound like the joeys could move around rooms easily, but we don't exactly know how well that works in the real world. Especially the pairing once a joey is disconnected and reconnected to a different client port of the node.

I would guess probably, but I would wait till someone tests it out before committing.

There is no technical reason why it wouldn't work. However, I wouldn't expect the installer to run the additional shed cable for free.

Ziptied said:
There is no technical reason why it wouldn't work. However, I wouldn't expect the installer to run the additional shed cable for free.

Fyi: Open ports on any part of the system needs to be terminated with a 75 ohm terminator. Or you'll get leakage, and subpar operating of the system.

I also plan to move a Joey around as needed. From the kitchen to spare bedroom for when someone comes to visit. In your case, have the installer put in the shed cable and then run the other line that's easier yourself. That's what I intend to do.

Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)