Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I have a question for you all, I have a 1.2M dish that I use only For Ku band with a single universal LNB, it has a motor, i want to be able to connect it to 2 receivers and control it by either receiver. I don't want to add another coax cable and use a dual LNB at this time.
How can I set this up? I need some ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

A bandstacked LNBF will get you both polarities at the same time over a single cable through a high frequency splitter or receiver loop through. What receivers are you using?

Hello Gentlemen
I thank you for your response, this is what I have, I have a raptor receiver and a Azbox + receiver both of them have dual tuners, one for C. band, second tuner for KU band.
My KU dish I have a universal elite spitfire Lnb single output, 1.2 m motorized geosatpro dish, and like I stated on my initial comments I want to be able to connect this dish to each receiver second tuners and a control the dish from either receiver.
I am only going to be using one receiver at the time not both.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Best regards.
Chewie

Chewie1, I am sort of at a loss here on your question. By that I mean you have been a member for three years, you've posted 75 times or more, yet you are asking something that has been addressed many many MANY times before.

My first response would be to put up a second dish, problem solved. If space is a limitation, put both dishes on the same pole, difficult, but doable.

But I think the cheapest and almost best idea would be to put up a dual LNB where you can connect to two receivers, though that would leave you not quite "there" since control of the position of the dish would be limited (SHOULD BE LIMITED) to one receiver or the other.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

Photto

Hello Gents
Thanks for your replay.
Phottoman - sorry I ask - normally I look around and read and see if I can find what I need, if I find something and don't understand Than I ask.
There is lots of great members in this forum with lots of knowledge and in the past they have provided me with with very good answers to my questions and have learn from them by coming here and read their posts.
Best regards.
Chewie

Chewie1, I am sort of at a loss here on your question. By that I mean you have been a member for three years, you've posted 75 times or more, yet you are asking something that has been addressed many many MANY times before.
Photto

Phottoman, this is quite out of character for you! Did phottotette(sp) deny you some cookies lately? just asking? :D

Phottoman, this is quite out of character for you! Did phottotette(sp) deny you some cookies lately? just asking? :D
No, not at all, as I said I was thinking outside the box. I didn't see that there was a space limitation, but I still feel that a dual LNB would be a good answer. I have read many times that both receivers controlling the motor and the LNB is not a good idea.

If I sounded in any way offensive, then I deeply apologize, it was not meant that way.

Photto

Chewie1, just remember that you only want one receiver at a time to be able to control the motor. If you use the loop thru, the master receiver will control the motor unless it is in standby, then the slaved receiver could control the motor. If you use a HF splitter, be sure it is all port power passing, but diode-steered. That way, the first receiver that is powered on will control the motor, and the other will be locked out from sending power. You don't want both sending out DC at the same time.

A bandstacked LNBF eliminates the need for polarity switching by sending both polarities down the same single coax all the time. That way, both receivers, regardless of which one is powering the LNBF and motor, will see both polarities.

If you use a HF splitter, be sure it is all port power passing, but diode-steered. That way, the first receiver that is powered on will control the motor, and the other will be locked out from sending power. You don't want both sending out DC at the same time.

Diode steering does not prevent both receivers from sending voltage to the motor/LNBF. I have not observed a second receiver being locked out. A diode steered splitter does prevent voltage from receiver one from back feeding to receiver two and visa versa.

If the op uses a diode steered splitter, both receivers could potentially send both voltage and switch/motor control commands. This is why it it very important to only power one receiver at a time when using a splitter. No damage would occur as DC voltage in parallel does not increase voltage, but if one receiver is outputting vertical 13vdc) and the other horizontal (18vbc) the LNBF polarity would be set by the presence of the higher voltage (18vdc) and be horizontal..... just a lot of confusion with motor, polarity and switch control!

Last edited:
Diode steering does not prevent both receivers from sending voltage to the motor/LNBF. I have not observed a second receiver being locked out. A diode steered splitter does prevent voltage from receiver one from back feeding to receiver two and visa versa.

If the op uses a diode steered splitter, both receivers could potentially send both voltage and switch/motor control commands. This is why it it very important to only power one receiver at a time when using a splitter. No damage would occur as DC voltage in parallel does not increase voltage, but if one receiver is outputting vertical 13vdc) and the other horizontal (18vbc) the LNBF polarity would be set by the presence of the higher voltage (18vdc) and be horizontal..... just a lot of confusion with motor, polarity and switch control!

Brian I am surprised you didn't plug your own product. Chewie, take a look at this link. It's is a GREAT dual LNB that Brian sells.

LNBF - SL2 BULLET - GEOSATpro DUAL STANDARD KU

There are certainly other models that you can find cheaper, but this is the direction I was trying to explain to you.

Set up your receivers so that the one tou use 51% or more of the time is the controller for the motor, and watch whatever you want from either location.

Photto

Brian I am surprised you didn't plug your own product.

Certainly the route that I would chose as well... BUT...
The op specifically indicated that he doesn't want to buy a dual LNBF or run a second coax.

He is chooing a route that is limiting, not much cost saving, but it can be done if a user understands the limitations and no one else has to use the system and get confused.

I was unaware that a diode steered splitter would not prevent both receivers from powering the LNBF and motor. In that case, a one-port power passing splitter would be the only way to be safe. Unfortunately, that will prevent one of the receivers from powering or operating the motor or changing polarity.

Bottom line is that it is not advisable for both receivers to be able to power and control the system. Only one should be allowed to control the motor.

Hello Gents
I thank you for your comments.
Brian- I am only going to using one receiver at the time, one /off, one /on, I have both receivers connected to one TV for now and I hide one RC from the wife.
like you say the best bet is To get a dual LNB, I would like to find out if there is any universal dual PLL lnb out there.
I did order the splitter from your store last friday should be here next week.
Thanks again.
Regards.
Chewie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)