One person, 2 HD tvs

saucerman

Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
NJ
I have a Dish 622 and a 508. 508 is left over from when I upgraded to 622 for HD. 508 is in bedroom for a non-HD TV. I am only 1 person so I am either watching TV on one room or another. I would like to get an HD TV for the bedroom and run both HD tvs from the 622. I would then put the 508 aside and not use it.

I'm not looking to watch 2 different HD channels at the same time. If I am not watching HD in the Rec room I would like to be able to have the same signal/channel/output sent to the bedroom TV. There should be a way to set this up- and I would not be violating any Dish rules since I am watching the same one HD signal on either one TV or the other. Running a cable/wire to the bedroom would be the hardest part. A 48 foot HDMI cable is an option- that's about the max distance without a booster needed.

Has anyone else done this and/or been in the same situation? Any ideas, suggestions, etc. welcome.

you can go over 80' with very little signal loss. also, you can adjust the HD in the distant room to compensate. as long as it's all under the same roof there is no need to even think about the Dish Nazis

You can use Cat5 ethernet cable to extend either HDMI or Component video, but you're talking about a significant cost ($100+ for a pair of HDMI transformers). A 50' HDMI cable is also costly, unless you go to Monoprice.com for it. I'd rather use component for the close TV and HDMI for the remote one, anyway.

How far are we talking about, anyway?

[edit] Nevermind, Monoprice.com has transformers for cheap, too.

Run the hdmi cable and get a 21.0 ir/uhf remote and be done with it. No reason to get another box with your situation. It is not against the Dish rules to do this. Many have done this including me.:)

You can use Cat5 ethernet cable to extend either HDMI or Component video, but you're talking about a significant cost ($100+ for a pair of HDMI transformers). A 50' HDMI cable is also costly, unless you go to Monoprice.com for it. I'd rather use component for the close TV and HDMI for the remote one, anyway.

How far are we talking about, anyway?

[edit] Nevermind, Monoprice.com has transformers for cheap, too.

Yep, monoprice part # is 6177.:)

Ed

I guess it comes down to whether you want to route a long, expensive HDMI cable or a pair of cheap Cat5 ethernet cables, and still have to buy two short, cheap HDMI cables. Using the transformer is probably going to be 2-3x as expensive, but if something goes wrong with a 50' HDMI cable, any problem is going to cost at least $50 to fix.

Yep, monoprice part # is 6177.:)

Ed

I second this. I have the HDMI to Cat5/6 wall plates and I purchased a pair of 20ft Cat6 cables to run my main 722k down into my sports "man cave" in my basement. Since my wife and I rarely watch TV in our main living room and the basement at the same time, the main 722k powers a second TV in the man cave. It's a lot easier to run the cat6 through the walls too. All in all an excellent solution that works very well.

Yes, since only one HDMI output on back of 622, as someone else mentioned, might have to use component cable to main HDTV where the 622 is and the HDMI output to the bedroom HDTV (either via long HDMI cable or the Cat 6 cabling with the HDMI adapter plates for walls)

Quality on the main TV will still be great with the component cables? I've never tried those.

Yes, since only one HDMI output on back of 622, as someone else mentioned, might have to use component cable to main HDTV where the 622 is and the HDMI output to the bedroom HDTV (either via long HDMI cable or the Cat 6 cabling with the HDMI adapter plates for walls)

Quality on the main TV will still be great with the component cables? I've never tried those.

You will not be able to tell the difference between the 2, I have A/Bed component to HDMI and I see no diff..:)

As long as you keep the component cable runs short, PQ shouldn't be an issue. You may want something nicer than the chrome-plated cables that came in the 622 box, but don't buy Monster...just some nice gold-plated cables with a reasonably heavy jacket will be fine.

When you get your long HDMI cable from monoprice, also buy a nice set of component cables to feed your "close" HDTV.

I have my lone 722 connected to 5 televisions -- 3 HDTVs (one via component and two via HDMI using a switcher/splitter) and 2 SDTVs (via coax). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)