Only 5% of Dish subs get "premium" package

I'm more surprised that 43% of Charter customers sub to a premium package. I am not surprised that AT&T Uverse is 19%. The pricing on their packages is awesome.

Charter has by far has the best premium channel pricing I've ever seen, if you want multiple packages. Each Premium pack is $15 a la carte, which is expensive. Or is it? I remember when I had Dish in the late 90s, movie packages were $12 back then, with a dollar or two discount for every one you added so $15 isn't that outrageous I guess.

With Charter, the Silver package for $85 includes HBO, Cinemax and Showtime. For $20 more with TV Gold you get Starz, StarzEncore and TMC. Somewhere Epix is thrown in. I get basically every English channel on the system for $105. That's includes all east coast feeds (plus a few west cost feeds) of every HBO, Cinemax, Showtime/TMC, Starz, StarzEncore, Plex and Epix channel, with all but 4 or 5 being in HD. When was the last time Dish's AEP or DirecTV's Premier was that low? Yes, I know there are some differences, Charter does not have the 30+ RSNs available on a national level, but being in NY, at least I get all four of my RSNs.

For purposes of the study quoted in the original post, a "premium package" is a bundle that includes most of the basic cable channels plus at least one premium movie service. For Dish, that would be America's Everything Pack. Considering that, the 5% number seems plausible.
Not correct AEP is many Premiums. There are many subscribers of Top 200 and Top 250 who subscribe to at least one Premium. I question the 5% number. I would think Dish would be very similar to Directv. There is a great deal of false news out there.

Reactions: navychop
I am surprised anyone is buying premiums anymore. I got on an deal a month or two back for HBO and Cinemax for 5 dollars for 6 months. You know what I am not finding it worth that. I just checked and currently the average show on any of the HBO or CM channels is 8.4 years old and I would imagine you could check pretty much anytime and come up with a similar number. The value just does not seem to be there to me.

Personally I subscribe to all of premiums not for the the movies, but for the top notch original content. I'm not much a fan of new movies, they all basically fall into one of three categories to me.

1) Super hero movies, which I hate. (real hero's wear badges and dog tags not capes). 2) Reboots of older movies updated with terrible actors and lame looking CGI and 3) squeals of squeals. I'll take watching War Games or Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man for the millionth time over watching any Marval movie or Fast & The Furious 27.

The original content is where these channels shine, IMO. I kid you not, I've watched more programming on CINEMAX of all channels, over the last handful of years, then I have watched on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS and the rest of the worthless OTA networks combined over the past decade.

Not correct AEP is many Premiums. There are many subscribers of Top 200 and Top 250 who subscribe to at least one Premium. I question the 5% number. I would think Dish would be very similar to Directv. There is a great deal of false news out there.
Okay, amended. [Bracket] was added, bold was in original:
For purposes of the study quoted in the original post, a "premium package" is a bundle that includes most of the basic cable channels plus [HBO and] at least one [other] premium movie service. For Dish, that would be America's Everything Pack. Considering that, the 5% number seems plausible.

First of all keep in mind I sell cable and satellite for a living.

First of all, NOBODY wants or really cares for the premium channels anymore.

I get a lot of “does that include HBO” but unless HBO is included in the bundle or is free for 3 months, most customers balk at the price. $15-$17.99 usually.

Charter has the best bundles.

Dish doesn’t surprise me at 5% as they tend to attract many of the budget wise customers who are subscribing to a small low cost package to begin with.

1) Super hero movies, which I hate. (real hero's wear badges and dog tags not capes).

Going by your avatar, I hope you know the symbolism of Superman towards Jesus Christ. Google it. Example: Superman's real name is "Kal-El", and "El" is the Hebrew word for God. I could get into more depth about him, but you can Google it. And Superman is just one example out of many.

For purposes of the study quoted in the original post, a "premium package" is a bundle that includes most of the basic cable channels plus at least one premium movie service. For Dish, that would be America's Everything Pack. Considering that, the 5% number seems plausible.

Then that is a comparison that makes has no real meaning. DISH does not have a package that bundles anything but all the premiums and only with their top package. What makes it even more of a comparison that means nothing is that DISH has a package that may be just about the same as the other's top package the Top200 that may cost less. I would need to know how many like myself have it and at least one Premium (HBO for me). And does having the Movie Pack count towards that as I have that also. If being bundled is the main requirement of the study the 5% means nothing.

I had the Top250 (and whatever it was called before that) for all the years of having DISH but they put just about all the cable channels from Top250 into the Top200 now so I switched. On top of that with HBO being $10 for a long time along with deals for most of the other premiums why get the AEP?
I do think having the Fle

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
For the record, I have the 250 package, and pretty much always have.

I wonder, with all the movies in that package, how it compares to certain other’s “premiums.”

For ME, the problem with HBO is that the movies aren’t OLD ENOUGH. Bring back the Road Show movies like Road To Bali, and I might subscribe.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Going by your avatar, I hope you know the symbolism of Superman towards Jesus Christ. Google it. Example: Superman's real name is "Kal-El", and "El" is the Hebrew word for God. I could get into more depth about him, but you can Google it. And Superman is just one example out of many.

Actually I don't.

I know nothing about Superman besides Christopher Reeve portrayed him and some of the original comics are worth a ton of money.

I was actually going to say Superman's real name is Peter Parker and go on about how I saw some of the filming for one of the movies when they shot in Rochester, NY a few years ago, but remembered that was Spiderman, not Superman.:)

Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely look it up sometime.

Of course, before Crisis on Infinite Earths, the original Golden-Age Superman's real name was spelled Kal-L. The spelling was changed to Kal-El to differentiate the Silver-Age Superman from the original one. Look it up.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Of course, before Crisis on Infinite Earths, the original Golden-Age Superman's real name was spelled Kal-L. The spelling was changed to Kal-El to differentiate the Silver-Age Superman from the original one. Look it up.

I might be wrong on this, but I thought they changed it from Kal-L to Kal-El shortly into the Silver Age?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I might be wrong on this, but I thought they changed it from Kal-L to Kal-El shortly into the Silver Age?
I am not sure exactly when it changed, but that is the way I remember it from the comic books from the 1980's that I grew up reading. I didn't want to confuse anyone by saying the Earth-2 Superman was Kal-L and the Earth-1 Superman was Kal-El, since the original versions of the DC characters were actually on Earth-2, with the reboots on Earth-1. I have not kept up with the changes in the more recent comic books, so they could have changed the mythology many times since then.

First of all keep in mind I sell cable and satellite for a living.

First of all, NOBODY wants or really cares for the premium channels anymore.

I get a lot of “does that include HBO” but unless HBO is included in the bundle or is free for 3 months, most customers balk at the price. $15-$17.99 usually.

Charter has the best bundles.

I assume Charter has to have good bundles to make up for other short-comings (whole-home DVR anyone?). As for no one wanting premiums, that seems odd as HBO subscriber numbers have grown from around 40 million in 2010 to 54 million in 2017 in the US. I assume not all those increases are OTT streaming or intro packages. I can't find solid numbers on Starz and Showtime other than Starz overtook Showtime for the #2 spot in 2015, at least not on the first try.

HBO and Showtime are definitely worth it for me. Lot’s of valuable content there.

I had Starz while Counterpart was on and then canceled it after.

The Knick and Banshee were good shows on Cinemax but nothing I’m watching on there now. Only have it because it was bundled with HBO for $5.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: edisonprime
Super-Sissy-Superman--91369.jpg

I LOVED the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" series back in the 80s. I still have the entire series of comics saved in plastic in my closet. That would make a great movie for D.C. if they could ever make it.

I LOVED the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" series back in the 80s. I still have the entire series of comics saved in plastic in my closet. That would make a great movie for D.C. if they could ever make it.
I see it as more of a crossover event on the CW, if they ever get enough DC series to cover all of the characters. It would probably take at least an entire season to tell the story, if done properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts