Ooma Offered By Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
I noticed that Ooma (http://www.ooma.com/dish) is being offered by Dish. However, for some reason, upfront through Dish it seems cheaper, but it is more expensive monthly through Dish. On Ooma's site (http://www.ooma.com/legal/rates), Ooma Premier is $9.99/month plus the applicable taxes and fees. The applicable taxes and fees for me according to the Ooma site is $3.76. That would be $13.75 altogether. If I did not want Ooma Premier, I could opt out and pay $3.76.

Ooma by Dish even has its own price calculator ( https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator?service=dish ) It quotes me a higher price of $4.88/month. The Federal Universal Service Charge is higher as all the other fees are the same. So, that would be $19.99 + $4.88 which would be $24.87 altogether. That is an $11.12/month difference.

The pros:
1)Free Ooma Telo device ($199.99 value--equipment must be returned if canceled within year)
2)Free Shipping (probably could get this through Ooma if paid for device)
3)First month free
4)Free transfer of phone number (a $40 value--can be done through Ooma if selecting the $9.99 Ooma Premier)

The cons:
1) $19.99/month + taxes, sub charges, and fees

Of course, I should mention high speed Internet is needed for Ooma.

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Dumb, as you would be paying more in the long run if you do it this way.

I bought a refurbished Ooma Telo and paid I want to say $139 for it plus free shipping and I got to transfer our number for free with their premier service. I pay about $3 a month for the taxes.

Neutron said:
Dumb, as you would be paying more in the long run if you do it this way.

I bought a refurbished Ooma Telo and paid I want to say $139 for it plus free shipping and I got to transfer our number for free with their premier service. I pay about $3 a month for the taxes.

How do you like Ooma? I suppose this (the Dish offer) is good for someone paying phone service but cannot pay or feels like he/she cannot pay the upfront cost for the Ooma Telo. He/she will definitely pay more in the long run, though. Good advice about the $139 refurb for someone looking to save some upfront money.

Last edited:
We have had Ooma since April 2011 and so far it has been good. I can think of one instance that it gave me a problem like six months after adding their service but that was resolved timely and it has been reliable ever since. I like the features especially the one if your internet goes down the calls will automatically forward to your cell phone. They also have a feature that you can set the calls to go to your cell phone if wanted plus call blocking and full online schedules of all your incoming and outgoing calls.

So far everything is going well so I would recommend this to anyone that wants to save some money - it is nice to not pay Verizon $30 per month for land line service.

My wife and I have had Ooma for over two years and it's always been reliable and crystal clear. It was one of the best investments we ever made. You can buy the Ooma Telo device at Costco for $149. Ooma.com has tons of info including a video which may be helpful. I recommend buying it which is cheaper in the long run.

Might as well get Magic Jack or NetTalk. It's only $29.99 per year. Most do not know about these cheap VoIP services or do have any knowledge of them so when a big company like Dish Network starts advertising this and its cheaper than the provider that they have, they will be tempted to go to it. They will not know that Ooma offers it cheaper directly on their site unless they do some research.

I never quite got the allure of OOMA over other VOIP services. I pay $15 a month with VoicePulse, unlimited calling in my State, and 300 minutes long distance, includes Canada. Especially if you have a cell phone, that should be enough minutes for many. You can up the minutes for I think $6 more.

But I also get more features than most any other provider for that same $15. To even get the feature of calling another phone if the internet is down with OOMA you have to pay. I understand if you only want bare bones in the long run you will save money, but you'll have no features unless you pay. No computer generated calls, unknown number calls, or even particular phone numbers get through with VoicePulse features. I can block an area code, or even a state.

YMMV. I read reports of problems with these VOIP providers, reliability wise and 911 wise. I pay Verizon FiOS for land line and Internet. If I drop the land line, I think my bill goes up $5, and less whatever the land line portion is. We must maintain a land line per my wife's employer. E911 is REAL high on my list of valuable features, considering my in-laws especially, but also for my wife's and my health. I'm not interested in these providers, especially the Magic, whom I expect has very few years remaining in their business plan.

Don't pay high lease fees when you can buy

I think paying a $19.99 monthly charge to lease an Ooma system is much too high. Buying an Ooma system does save money in the long run.

I have been using an older Ooma system for over 2 years. I had tried Magic Jack, but it required a computer at that time to work. Ooma only required a broadband connection, and offered caller id (which I didn't have before), plus free long distance service in the US. I decided to get a new phone # which is unlisted, and no longer get junk phone calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The older Ooma system I'm using has no monthly or annual fees at all, but did cost over $200 at the time I bought it. I also have a prepaid cell phone I use when traveling and as a backup in case my internet service is down. I am happy with the call quality and reliability of the Ooma system so far.

I've found on forums AND people I've met and know some very well who have tried Magic Jack (the latest no PC required version), and all have had problems sufficient to be very annoying and even had them stop using MJ, and they found the upsell buttons on set-up and subsequent support to be abysmal, never really fixing issues even after hours and days. On the other hand, the nearly identical (Magic Jack technology) NetTalk Duo seems to have more happy customers, so it seems MJ is NOT doing it right, but NetTalk is, for those I've spoken with. MJ and NetTalk seem fine for single or smaller households or for those not interested in many features that others offer, so I would say one service is not necessarily better than another. It depends upon what you want from the phone service.

After much research, we found Ooma to be the easiest to set-up and had a plethora of "premium" services that our household needed/wanted, as it seems the superior for larger households. The stinker is the upfront cost, but for what we were paying the phone company (for two lines) we got the money back by the 2nd month. Then it was using the phone as the family always had, but with a feature rich system for only $9.99 extra a month. The basic service provides call waiting a second telephone number and other "premium" features that cost a lot from the phone company but included at the basic level. However, the Premiere ($9.99) level offers features such as 2nd line, meaning that if one is on the phone, another person in your household can make a call. Completely separate accounts for each telephone number meaning that other phones don't have to ring and those people get their own answering services. Additional numbers beyond the third are $5 per month and if we do have to take in one more person who may need to move in with us, they can pay the $5 per month for their service (they don't want the job shops to call the cell number) and all supported by the current equipment. Ooma is the most sophisticated of the VoIP's I've researched and meets all our needs and wants while still not paying an extra penny for your call volume including Canada. I think the call limit is 5,000 minutes OUTBOUND per month (I don't think they have an inbound limit), a figure we have never come close to exceeding. There is a business rate for businesses that easily require more than the residential limit. 911 is set-up by the owner and once done all info is transmitted to dispatchers just as a line line should you call 911, so that really isn't an issue (had to call 911 once and the dispatch had our address, etc.) which is NOT the case with cell phones. Both the Telo and the handsets have easy, intuitive buttons to easily access voice messages (along with voice prompts) and other features and services. Our elderly mother easily access her voice messages by pressing one button on the hand unit and listening to the prompts pre-set to use the handset speaker so she never has to put the phone to her ears to navigate and hear messages.

Overall, Ooma was the only system capable of meeting our demanding feature rich needs at extremely low cost and very good reliability. Also, the call logs are always immediate and accurate with a variety of options to prevent unwanted calls (such as solicitors). I love being able to blacklist numbers. I would say that the Ooma hand unit batteries don't seem to last as long as it should, but that is the only complaint. The hand units have an Intercom system that we use extensively to contact one another in the house and it is easy joining a current call from any hand unit, even one that has been personalized (for that user only) not to be associated with a specific number, as well as receiving and making calls when others are using the phone (line 1). I do recommend it. I haven't even described other features we use and even more. We do have on standard line phone connected to the Ooma for convenience and it works well with our home network and we never notice a degradation of surfing internet experience when call are in progress, etc.

However, if I were living alone, and didn't want a feature rich experience, the NetTalk Duo (Magic Jack technology done right) seems to be the best choice. But if you have a household and want to keep your experience separate from others in the home and have all the "expensive" phone company features, with several phones as part of the system, then Ooma is easily the best for such situations.

Yes, best to get Ooma Telo at Costco, and the numbers seem to be too high associated with Dish, but I guess that is because you are provided the expensive Telo for free.

My two cents for what very little they are worth.

Last edited:
barco13 said:
I use NetTalk Duo. Been very happy so far.

29.99 a year is it think better. Net talk now has a wifi unit as well. I'm planning on adding NetTalk so I can have a dedicated fax line. Now that they have a wifi unit I can put it anywhere besides by my router and modem.

Last edited:
Ooma is rated #1 in Consumer Reports (June 2012 edition) over all other VOIP, Landline & Fiber-optic Phone companies period. 25 phone services were rated.

My wife and I love the Ooma service. The only issues we've had have been due to the wireless router we have it connected to which acts as a wireless bridge. The couple of times it has lost connection was due to the wireless bridge losing connection.

Love the blacklist feature!

I used to have Vonage and wasn't using it at all. I took a look at OOMA and Magic jack. The big "minus" to OOMA seemed their box, if it fails, I'd have to buy a new (or refurbished) box, no type of support for it. Magic jack looked ok and their new box doesn't need the computer, but their whole service felt like a 'bait and switch' with very little information as to what you get and how much you pay. It wanted to send me the box, get me set up and then tell me how much it would cost.

In the end I bought a box that lets me use my wife's google voice service on my landline. Since google voice is still free, the cost was $50 for the box, and about 45 minutes getting it all setup.

When I went to cancel the Vonage service, they talked me into their $5 a month service that is free incoming and $.05 per minute outgoing. I ended up cancelling it after 2-3 months, but as a standby phone service, it would have been a decent deal.

Miner

Never could get Ooma to work well, tried a year or two ago when Costco had that great sale. Voice quality was hideous--when a call could (rarely) be completed. It was bad enough to render the service itself, not to mention the extra features, useless. Tried everything-- had sufficient bandwidth. Just one of those things. We ended up dropping our landline anyway(have unlimited minutes on our mobiles).

How do you like Ooma? I suppose this (the Dish offer) is good for someone paying phone service but cannot pay or feels like he/she cannot pay the upfront cost for the Ooma Telo. He/she will definitely pay more in the long run, though. Good advice about the $139 refurb for someone looking to save some upfront money.
I love it. It is the only reason why I even have a home phone. For $3/month (taxes only) I get more features than I would with phone through my phone company or cable company.

I am tempted but I do not have phone jacks nearmy router. i question itwould work well witha wireless bridge

I never quite got the allure of OOMA over other VOIP services. I pay $15 a month with VoicePulse, unlimited calling in my State, and 300 minutes long distance, includes Canada. Especially if you have a cell phone, that should be enough minutes for many. You can up the minutes for I think $6 more.
Because with Ooma you can do all of that and more for even less a month. Even their free service does all of what you listed and more.

Isn't not better to be able to have more for less?

My wife and I love the Ooma service. The only issues we've had have been due to the wireless router we have it connected to which acts as a wireless bridge. The couple of times it has lost connection was due to the wireless bridge losing connection.

Love the blacklist feature!
I had mine connected between the modem/router and our extended router, directly to our modem/router, and directly to one of the ports on our extended router. had an issue with either of the three ways of connecting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)