Oops, E* problems in St. Paul, MN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Quoting Bill Murray from "MEATBALLS",
"IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER"

A direct lightning hit on your house or dish is gonna cook most of your electronics and wiring anyway - grounded or NOT.
Obviously, Minnesotan government is slowly migrating to the far West - ala CA.

fred

Fredinva said:
...A direct lightning hit on your house or dish is gonna cook most of your electronics and wiring anyway - grounded or NOT....
Agreed, however a grounded system protects from static, induced spikes, and various ground fault conditions...

Regardless, a story like this will just generate a bevy of lawsuits in the area, which was my main point. Frivolous or legitiimate, stories like this inspire the ambulance chasers in the area to slap a bulls eye on E*.

I looked at my manual regarding the grounding of the system. My dish was already installed by the previous home owners so I wanted to verify the grounding. All the manual says is to follow "grounding according to NEC National Electrical Code” I don't see any ground wire on the dish itself but the splitter that is in the house is grounded. Is this correct??

dcorazal said:
I looked at my manual regarding the grounding of the system. My dish was already installed by the previous home owners so I wanted to verify the grounding. All the manual says is to follow "grounding according to NEC National Electrical Code” I don't see any ground wire on the dish itself but the splitter that is in the house is grounded. Is this correct??
No, the idea is for an electrical discharge outside in the hopes of not going inside. Grounding inside is mostly for other reasons.

BobMurdoch said:

Scuzballs like this are taking the food out the mouths of real LICENSED installers in the state!

Disgusting! Having been asked to give the State of MN. advice on grounding satellite installs I am GLAD to see at last they are taking it seriously.

ALWAYS ask to see your installers LICENSE and ID. before letting him step in your home! (Here in MN.)

Frank Jr. said:
No, the idea is for an electrical discharge outside in the hopes of not going inside. Grounding inside is mostly for other reasons.

What are the other reasons for grounding inside? I have had several problems recently after the install of the dish 1000 system. The only ground wires coming from the roof (which as a dish 1000, dish 500 @ 6.15, and a OTA Antenna) are 2 copper wires included in the coax (the coax has 2 lines per casing, plus a copper ground wire). Both Ground wires go to a screw on the bottom left of the DPP44 switch. The switch itself isn't grounded (unless you count the fact that the power inserter' power supply has a ground plug on it? sounds sketchy though) The company the article is about didn't do my install, but there has been a annoyingly large amount of problems since the dish1000 install (the thing is, the only difference I think would be that one of my dish 500s got swaped for a dish1000. One extra single coax was run and that was it)

Problems since the install -

- Shocks, Lots of em! Dorm-sized fridge in my room.......goin for a pop...ZING! (small shock almost every time), I get shociked when I touch some of my computers, one of my home theatre recievers, dish recievers, almost anything that is metal (but not everything which I find odd)

- I had 3 Hard Drives go bad in the same day suddenly in 2 seperate computers. luckily 2 of them were under a month old so Western Digital sent replacments without any hastle. The 3rd drive was about 1 1/2 years old so it was just a gonner.

- One of my home theatre recievers started to put out a weird bass signal.....not sure how else to describe it but the sub now sounds very odd on a particular reciever, works fine on other ones.

- Shocks!

In one of my rooms I have a Monster Home Theatre Power Center which I run everything through, and the equipment in that room doesn't shock me at all, nor has it had any abnormalities. - I'm actually going to get another one of those for the room I have most of my computers in, I don't want to have anymore mis-haps with hard drives, cpus, motherboards, etc.

Does this in anyway have a possibility of being a grounding issue with the dish?
The only other thing that changed was that we had a electrician come and change a 3-gang box to a 4-gang box (added a extra switch) but I would think he knew what he was doing...

I dunno, its all quite weird. Either way, from my limited knowledge of electricity/grounding, the groundwires shouldnt go to the switch, which is screwed to a piece of plywood.....Maybe everything else is a coincidence? who knows lol

Codee, you're seeing signs of a ground loop. Two or more ground points of a different potential creating electrical current in the wire.

Hard drives are powered off the switching power supply in the computer and they are usually quite well isolated. Though current through the ground could cause an issue if the drive grounds itself to the case and not just through the cable.

There no requirement that a direct strike of lightning on your dish has to damage anything in your house. Proper grounding can dramatically reduce damage due to lightning strike.

Devices are grounded in the home so that if the device fails, the electricy has a better route to ground rather than through your body.

To prevent ground loops, all points must be grounded to a common point. (Common, electrically) I.e. stick a steel spike in the ground on one side of your house. Then stick a steel spike in the ground on the other side. You'll find that the ground is sufficiently different between these two points to cause current to flow in a circuit between them. Thus you hear of whole house ground points. The dish and coax must be grounded to the same ground point as your electrical service.

Last edited:
BobMurdoch said:
Regardless, a story like this will just generate a bevy of lawsuits in the area, which was my main point. Frivolous or legitiimate, stories like this inspire the ambulance chasers in the area to slap a bulls eye on E*.
i wanna sue dish:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)