Oops! I made a mistake and watched real HD!

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I get all of the networks via OTA but almost never watch them because I don't like network programming. In fact, I don't watch any network programs.

However this being college football bowl week, I'm watched a lot of football games, and even commercials, for several days now.

After doing this and switching back to watching DishHD, nearly all of the Dish channels look soft again.

It's kinda like getting a big box of high quality chocolate, and then after you finish it, you eat a Hershey bar. When you eat Hershey bars regularly, you accept them as being a decent chocolate bar. But after several days of eating good chocolate, a Hershey bar tastes like slightly-chocolate flavored wax.

I'm going to have to go back on a DishHD diet in order to reacclimate myself to the lower quality.

well dont ever watch a hddvd or blueray, cause dish hd will look really bad to you

I get all of the networks via OTA but almost never watch them because I don't like network programming. In fact, I don't watch any network programs.

However this being college football bowl week, I'm watched a lot of football games, and even commercials, for several days now.

After doing this and switching back to watching DishHD, nearly all of the Dish channels look soft again.

It's kinda like getting a big box of high quality chocolate, and then after you finish it, you eat a Hershey bar. When you eat Hershey bars regularly, you accept them as being a decent chocolate bar. But after several days of eating good chocolate, a Hershey bar tastes like slightly-chocolate flavored wax.

I'm going to have to go back on a DishHD diet in order to reacclimate myself to the lower quality.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly but.....I watch a great deal of OTA HD broadcasts (record Conan everynight on NBC OTA) and, of course, plenty of Dish HD broadcasts through my 622. I don't see a bit of difference (taking into account that some HD recordings are better than others). Sometimes I flip back and forth and it's no difference. Maybe you're more sensitive to these things.

Ironic that you mention Conan. The facial detail on the Conan O'Brian show is very good. Far better than most E* HD channels. I've caught that show 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months and that detail always jumps off the screen at me as striking. You can see the texture of the cloth in his suits.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly but.....I watch a great deal of OTA HD broadcasts (record Conan everynight on NBC OTA) and, of course, plenty of Dish HD broadcasts through my 622. I don't see a bit of difference (taking into account that some HD recordings are better than others). Sometimes I flip back and forth and it's no difference. Maybe you're more sensitive to these things.

what size TV are you watching & how far away are you sitting from it?

Boy this sure is the TRUTH!! I finally found a good blu ray movie and Hd dvd have been way better then OTA!

Which titles would those be? Ever since getting into HD i've become a PQ whore and will watch anything that has a great transfer.

Which titles would those be? Ever since getting into HD i've become a PQ whore and will watch anything that has a great transfer.

Blu Ray
1. Black hawk down. (i just don't care for the movie)
2. Little man
3. Underworld evolution

HD DVD
The list is sooo big even "Enter the Dragon" looked good! This will be easier 12 monkeys looked bad to me but i have been told thats the way the director wanted it? Field of dreams was disappointing to me.

Yeah, 12 monkeys is a weird movie PQ wise. Not sure on the director part, but I gotta believe they did something to make it funky like they did.

Sad but true and people want them to add more HD! Thats all we need is for them to water it down more!

Everyone that is tired of a lot of watered down channels and would rather have fewer HD channels should send DISH a message and move to cable or fios.

DISH does not change their business plan after reading these forums, but they would change their business plan after reading the reasons given to CSRs for why customers are cancelling their service.

Dish is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have the most HD channels and certainly want to keep it that way but they have limited capacity for what they already have, not to mention for add'l channels ! People (here) scream "more HD !! get rid of HD-Lite !!" but Dish can't do both (at the moment).

What is the stream on the demo channel? Is there any mesurable proof that it has a better picture?

Hight bit rate?
Resolution?

It would be good to know if the facts match your eyes?

So if a picture looks fantastic to your eyes, but the numbers suggest that it's "low", what do you do ??

In my case, my eyes are the judge, final. At times it's appropriate, but in many cases, people put too much value or emphasis on some arbitrary numbers.