Opinions on Meters

Turbo2003

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Would like to know if anyone wants to offer opinions on meters being used out there. I am currently working with a Digisat II and an OPI from Blonder Tounge Labs for DirecWay.

Considering going for something like a Channel Master 10081FD or a BirDog.

Majority (95%+) of installs/service calls are still DBS. Would like to do more DWay eventually to go along with a lot of network jobs that I have been doing.

Like to know what you are using and if you like it, why?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I LOVE my Channel Master 1009IFD, I would not show up for an installation without it, its the best tool I have and has paid for its self over and over! I also use a Digisat II as I still like the audio tone for peaking with both hands on DBS installs.

www.satmeter.com

For most DWay installations we have had better luck with the BirdDog and an OPI over the CM. We have had to return to many CMs and have lost faith in them. My understanding is that they have fixed the bugs with them now - buyer beware. If you will be doing a lot of VSAT (or MDU L-Band) work and want the best without buying a full spectrum analyzer, take a look at the Applied Instruments SAT9520. It will be the last meter you will buy since it nearly does it all.

As a matter of fact, when peaking a DWay using the normal signal strength method and then switching to the SAT9520's C/N scale for final adjustment, 90% of the time we don't have to use the OPI at all.

It does come with a cost however, so not every tech has one. Last one we purchased was from PTL Test Equipment in Florida for just under a grand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)