optical audio probs w/811?

I too am having audio issues. I can pull the optical cable from the 811 and connect to 508. The 508 will have sound, 811 not. I have been powering on and off to get it working.
So is the thinking the 811 has intermittant problems or is just not compatible with some audio receivers?

drop out when using "dd only"

That's to be expected, unless you're watching a "DD" program, since you're telling the receiver that your audio processor can't handle anything but DD. At least that's my experience with the 501.

My problem is that I get "machine-gun"-like static from the 811 when on DD only or DD/PCM, regardless of the program. My 501 works fine on the DD/PCM setting, with my pre-amp switching to Dolby Pro Logic or DD, depending on the program.

matt.

811 toslink problem

My problem with 811 sound is the toslink (fiberoptic digital) connection. I have hooked up the analog L/R RCA outputs to my TV and my audio receiver, and they work OK, except for a few times I got a popping noise, and also a few times I had complete sound loss. On the complete sound loss, it has usually self-corrected in a few seconds to a minute, but one time a hard reset was necessary.

The main problem, though is with the toslink. It doesn't work at all, and has not from day 1 (Friday 12/12). I have tried both the digital output and the mixed output settings with the 811, w/o success. My receiver has three digital toslink inputs, and I have the identical model cable going from my DVD to the receiver with no problem, so it has to be the 811. The technician who installed it called in, and then was told that it was a software problem, which (hopefully) will be fixed by an update. I have received the 2.62 version update, and it did not fix the problem. Hopefully, a future one will.

My toslink is not work as alocher described. I ordered a PPV movie with it list with DD (Dolby Digital) and my receiver front panel displays "Dolby Digital" but no sound. I do get pro logic from PCM only. Never get any sound when set at "Dolby Digital/PCM" but OTA analog TV source not DTV.

Very odd

replacing a defective 811

My toslink audio is not working with any DD source. I have the dish set at Dolby Digital only. The only source i get sound from is OTA analog that comes in as pro-logic and only the center speaker. the RCA audio works to the TV. And I've have sound drop completely when changing channels and comes back if I switch channels again. seem to make a difference if you change using the guide or just the up and down channel change. I do have a 501 and it's DD works on the same AV receiver.

So I called dish and they are sending me a new 811. He said I should get it in 2 to 3 days.

Re: replacing a defective 811

Timothy Kramer said:
So I called dish and they are sending me a new 811. He said I should get it in 2 to 3 days.

Nice. Now why didn't they offer me a new 811? Time to call back and escalate...

Tim, please post again after you get your new 811 to let us know if it works.

matt.

Can anyone verify a signal (the red light) being emitted from the 811 through the TOSLink cable even with the receiver turned off??

Neutron said:
Can anyone verify a signal (the red light) being emitted from the 811 through the TOSLink cable even with the receiver turned off??

Yep. This is widely known. There's also a signal coming from the DVI output when the receiver is "off". Perhaps a better description is that the receiver is in "standby mode" when no lights are on the front panel...

matt.

(the red light) being emitted from the 811 through the TOSLink cable even with the receiver turned off??

Yes even off the TOSLink port on the back has a red light emitting. BTW The port has a cool little trap door. At first I wanted to pull it out thinking it was some kind of plug. My unit is defective and a replacement is coming.

I have had no issues with the 811s optical digital output set to DD/PCM on my Sony STR-DE895. Instantly recognizes the signal type from the source and adjusts perfectly. However the UHF PRO 8.0 remote w/ the 811 can't control my Sony receiver. I've e-mailed tech support about it.

Did you try the scan method to find your code? If not check the manual and give it a try. I didn't have the code for my Sony receiver either but I used this method and found it.

I received my 811 this morning and Ive messed with it off and on throughout the day and Im happy to report there has been no problems using it with my Onkyo receiver...remote codes work as well.

osxguy:
I have both a 6000 and an 811 optical outputs connected to my Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver. I was watching a movie on HBO that was in Dolby Digital. The 6000 works fine. With the 811, I only get sound when set to PCM. With the 811 set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital/PCM I don't get any sound at all - no "machine-gun"-like static .

I do not get any "audio glitches when I hit the info button while on local DTV channels".

I loose sound with my 811 connected to a JVC RX-DV3SL. Appears to be a random thing. It looks like the JVC switches to DD fine, but no sound. Weird. My settings in the 811 are DD/PCM. roll

lack of audio == static

rjbu said:
With the 811, I only get sound when set to PCM. With the 811 set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital/PCM I don't get any sound at all - no "machine-gun"-like static.

I'm sure that some audio processors "output" silence rather than static when they get an input they can't handle. I'd bet that our 811's have the same problem, but with different symptoms...

matt.

I'm also losing sound when my 811 is set to Dolby Digital/PCM using the optical connector. Never had a problem with the 6000. My receiver is a Denon 3501. Earlier today some channels has sound and some didn't. Tonight I can't get sound on any channel unless I set to PCM. This and the S-Video display being so dark are really annoying me (and my wife).

Any reply from Dish on either of these topics?

RJS

I tried the scan for codes routine several times to no avail. Tech support says they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)