optical audio probs w/811?

osxguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
I just got my 811 installed today, joining a 501. I'm using the DD/PCM setting for the optical out on the 501 to my DD receiver just fine, but when I try the same thing on the 811 (even with a program that indicates DD), I just get pulsing static instead of audio.

Also, I noticed that the audio glitches when I hit the info button while on local DTV channels.

Any one else using optical out on the 811?

The installer "forgot" the remote when he set my system up -- they're supposed to bring another by tomorrow. Should I have them bring a new 811?

matt.

Forgot to mention: PCM only works fine, but that's not really what I want...

matt.

osxguy said:
I'm using the DD/PCM setting for the optical out on the 501 to my DD receiver just fine, but when I try the same thing on the 811 (even with a program that indicates DD), I just get pulsing static instead of audio.

Also, I noticed that the audio glitches when I hit the info button while on local DTV channels.

Matt,
That seems to be a common problem with 811s. It's mentioned here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4052

Not sure if that's a hardware issue or something they can address with software. I wonder if anyone's optical DD output is working alright on their 811.

Mine seems to be working on both modes ok also. It's connected to an Onkyo AVR.

But the question is which A/V recievers is the 811 working correctly with and which A/V receivers are having the problems. From two earlier threads there is some evidence that RCA receivers are not compatible with the 811.

Stacy

I have had no issues with the 811s digital output set to DD/PCM. I'm using a Meridian 861v4, which is a slight upgrade to an RCA receiver.

I've run my 811 for > 2 hours nonstop with nary a problem that wasn't attributable to the feed itself (OTA or Sat).

Cheers,

Mine is a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 preamp (firmware 2.10a). Like I said, it works fine with the optical out on the 501, but not the 811.

(Too bad they didn't offer coax digital out on the 811...)

matt.

You could always pick up an optical to coaxial adpater from a Pro Music store to see if that's the issue.

I doubt it though. I suspect it's a lock issue and that there's some issues with some components having less robust digital inputs than others.

osxguy said:
I just got my 811 installed today, joining a 501. I'm using the DD/PCM setting for the optical out on the 501 to my DD receiver just fine, but when I try the same thing on the 811 (even with a program that indicates DD), I just get pulsing static instead of audio.

The installer "forgot" the remote when he set my system up -- they're supposed to bring another by tomorrow. Should I have them bring a new 811?

matt.
I am not familiar with the DD setup options but is there a DD/bitstream setting? Because to get DD 5.1 through a optical digital cable it mus be sent out of the satellite receiver as a bitstream adn NOT PCM.

got the converter, but no better

I hooked up the optical->coax converter, but the behavior is the same. Called Dish and they said it was a known problem that the engineers are working on. I asked them to send me a new receiver but they said any replacements would have the same problem.

matt.

I wonder if all 811's really do have the problem. My DD is just fine and has been since I hooked the 811 up. I'm using a Sony 777Es receiver.

RJS said:
I wonder if all 811's really do have the problem. My DD is just fine and has been since I hooked the 811 up. I'm using a Sony 777Es receiver.

My $ would be on RCA amps. I've seen similar complaints from CVC customers regarding problems with DD decoding.

And no, I'm not anti-RCA - I'm quite happy with my year old Scenium.

I have the old RCA home theater in a box receiver and those devices can't take straight DD, they can only take PCM.

However, now I mainly use a Yamaha 2400 which is working fine with the 811 except I did have the complete audio drop-out problem when I had it on DD only. I switched it to DD/PCM and it has been fine so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)