Options for getting Regional Sports Networks (Cable, Satellite, Internet ?)

Nevi

Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Uxbridge, MA (01569)
Hello, I live in Uxbridge, MA (01569) and I dont really use technology at home, I do however use technology at work so i understand the concepts ... etc. I do not own a PC, tablet, have Internet access. For phone I use a very-limited minutes ($13 month) cell phone and for TV I have cable TV from Charter where for 6 months a year I pay ~$65 per month for basic which includes Regional Sports Networks (NESN, etc)) and the most popular cable networks (TNT, USA, A&E, ESPN, etc). For the other 6 months (fall/winter) I get limited basic for ~$15 per month (essentially 8-10 free air channels and local access). If it were not for wanting NESN to watch the Redsox I could
get by with free air channels, and besides NESN I'm really only interested in maybe 5 channels (I have to pay an extra $10 per month to get these). What I'm trying to find out is , is there any way I can get NESN (Satellite, Internet, Cable, ???) cheaper that is add it (regional sports networks) as a package to a cheaper base package (such as Dish's Welcome Pack) or stream it (I if get a cheap internet package) or some other way?
Also, I've heard that Intel, Apple and others are talking of adding some type of a la cart over Internet. Is this just a pipe dream? and If not how granular do they expect to get with packages (i.e. per channel, or groups of channels, etc). For myself I'd just like NESN for 6 months, and maybe Science, Biography, Cooking, and a couple more.
Also along that line if the Intenet service required would cost more than the Basic (which includes Regional Sports Networks, ~$65) per month to provide the options to get the TV channels then it doesn't become worth it.

Thank You.

Nevi

It would seem that your problem lies in wanting to watch the Red Sox. JUST KIDDING! :)
Have you looked into mlb.tv? I don't know how it would cost compared to what you are doing now, but it could be an option.

>> It would seem that your problem lies in wanting to watch the Red Sox. JUST KIDDING!
>> Have you looked into mlb.tv? I don't know how it would cost compared to what you are doing now, but it could be an option.

Thank you raoul5788 for the input but mlb.tv is not a real option. First it is not offered by Charter locally and if it was NESN would be blacked out. Second if I added high speed internet and stream mlb.com I'd have the blackout issue unless I could go grey and use a proxy saying I lived outside of the region.

For a long time 50% or more of the Redsox games were covered on free channels and when cable was installed the remaining games could be seen if you purchased NESN as a premium channel (like you would get HBO, Showtime, etc). Eventually there were no more free games and NESN was the only choice, so you paid about $10 a month for it as you would for the premium movie channels and you paid a monthly fee for a receiver. In the mid 90's they raised the price for extended basic by maybe $8 and added NESN to it along with a couple of other channels and a receiver was not required unless you purchased a premium movie channel. Currently with analog being fazed out you loose channels that are digital only and receivers are becoming more prevalent. Those with limited (local channel) basic have had their channel selected halved in the last 6 months unless they pay an extra $6 for a receiver. Premium movie channel packages cost about $15 now but you tend to get more than I channel. I'd be willing to pay ($15 - $25) for NESN or Regional Sports Networks Package as if it were a premium channel. Just trying to find out if there are undocumented options there.

You would need to go with a proxy to hide your ip address. I don't think your local cable company has anything to do with availability.

RSN's are only available with Satellite/Cable packages, much like HBO or Showtime, etc.. You are correct about MLB online and the local blackout. That is to protect the local RSN who has exclusive rights (that they paid alot of money for) to broadcast in their designated area. Problem with using a proxy to show a different IP address is that often they are slow, not a problem for general web surfing but can certainly can be for watching live sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)