Orby Terrestrial Antennas...

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Side note here.
If the antennas shipped with OrbyTV show up available on the secondary market, they're decent within reasonable range.
I was pleasantly surprised.
We installed one rather "loosely" on the south side of our radio station.
When you consider:
1) It's under nearly 5kw of AM daytime
2) not exactly aimed perfectly with a pipe leaning a bit
3) Using RG 59, not better RG-6 on a 50 foot run
4) It's near AC power lines going into the building
5) We're between markets of Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Flint..

The scanning we get with an amplifier AT the TV set is amazing and steady. Around 50 signals! (not properly using an antenna-mounted preamp, but rather a line amp at the TV)
In better weather, I'll be combining a pair of them to serve my regular Living Room TV and we'll see how that goes...but, there seems to be enough engineering in these little antennas (and more importantly enough METAL) to outperform anything mounted inside plastic of smaller size (with bigger claims) at box stores.

I enjoy using this antenna in the engineering room of our radio station, and have PLENTY of OTA reception which is solid, not pixelated. For reference, our location is Ionia, MI between the markets we mentioned in case you want to look at a map.

Look for these if you want to grab a decent semi-directional signal within say, 30-40 miles! We're picking up FLINT while aimed a bit south to Grand Rapids..and still some Lansing off the side, too!

Attachments

• 20210120_171854_HDR.jpg
    20210120_171854_HDR.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 195
The point wasn't to make anyone buy anything, but to know they're better designed with better results than much of what is "off the shelf" today. Remarkable results in average terrain. Guaranteed we'll see them show up in online offerings, separated from their dishes...and they're excellent little devices probably at much less than the junk sold by the box stores these days of comparable small size or smaller. (maybe even some larger pieces of junk today, too.)

Does anyone know who was making the Orby OTA antennas?
Do not...but similar to A Channel Master STEALTHtenna 50, except for the folded element on the OrbyTV unit and the Orby's built in coax connection vs. having a balun. Also very close to the GE unit pictured, same notation on the absent folded dipole which Orby has. The mounting arm is probably identical to the one Orby sends/sent.

Attachments

• stealthtenna.jpeg
    stealthtenna.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 172
  • GE PRO ANTENNA.jpg
    GE PRO ANTENNA.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Reactions: NYDutch
My clearstream pulls 93 channels

orbytv antenna pulls 87 channels

not bad at all
Which one would you say does better from multiple directions, or are you receiving mainly one market? I'd think multiple markets with that amount of channels! (similar to here as noted at top of thread.)
....now for a laugh, guess we'd better "control" our thread, or the Antenna Man will be using our idea as a video! (which would actually compliment this website..lol)

Which one would you say does better from multiple directions, or are you receiving mainly one market? I'd think multiple markets with that amount of channels! (similar to here as noted at top of thread.)
....now for a laugh, guess we'd better "control" our thread, or the Antenna Man will be using our idea as a video! (which would actually compliment this website..lol)
For multiple directions I would say the clearstream

Why are you so negative in so many posts, Frank? Perhaps there were other factors in your lack of confidence in the antenna the reply spoke of? You come across quite negatively here in more threads than this one. (Please) Chill! We're here to exchange ideas, not act like we're arguing. You pointed out that Orby users now "know what Voom" users went through like it's a rite of passage or a necessary thing to have something we like taken away....while in this thread about a good re-use of terrestrial Orby antennas you'd "given a choice not buy one" which is NOT what this thread is asking you to do.....and now this. I know we can block users, but I'd rather just enjoy the conversation as presented in a polite manner. There's no denying in my situation at least 30 miles or more from the nearest tower and in a difficult reception area (given we're a broadcast radio station) that the antenna in question is a good one for general use and built to WORK much better than much of what is on shelves in stores today. If you're in the business you know it's all about LOCATION AND the type of antenna being used. Calling someone's post "Garbage" is an insult to those posting here. Hope you're kinder with your clients.

Reactions: Wescopc
That’s garbage!

I just replaced one of those a client was within a few miles of a tower and it didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Start thread in OTA forum.

Maybe somebody can point you in the right direction of antenna installation?

Also, check your coax, "didn't work" is sign of not even being connected.

I’m well versed in antenna installations. That’s why I was paid to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unit was probably defective then my friend. "...within a few miles of a tower and it didn’t work..." it doesn't get much better than that in terms of distance I would imagine

Unit was probably defective then my friend. "...within a few miles of a tower and it didn’t work..." it doesn't get much better than that in terms of distance I would imagine
I agree. I've had a PAPERCLIP pick up stations from 30 miles away. If his antenna didn't work "a few miles of a tower", there's a LOT more to his story. Even a junk antenna will work a few miles away.

I agree. I've had a PAPERCLIP pick up stations from 30 miles away. If his antenna didn't work "a few miles of a tower", there's a LOT more to his story. Even a junk antenna will work a few miles away.
I once used a paperclip in conjunction with a 6 inch alligator clip jumper. Talk about channel pulling power LOL

I actually took 2 of the Orby antennas and built a Orby Long Range antenna...I did add a Winegard pre-amp I had laying around.. Surprised that it worked as well as it did.. Put it on my mom's house 35 miles from Columbus and pulled in all the channels very nicely..Most channels in the mid 90's and even a low power VHF ch8 with a signal of 67 on a dish network 211k receiver..

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_103141488.jpg
    IMG_20210303_103141488.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 180
I actually took 2 of the Orby antennas and built a Orby Long Range antenna...I did add a Winegard pre-amp I had laying around.. Surprised that it worked as well as it did.. Put it on my mom's house 35 miles from Columbus and pulled in all the channels very nicely..Most channels in the mid 90's and even a low power VHF ch8 with a signal of 67 on a dish network 211k receiver..
What's the height off the ground? I run mine at just over 25 feet. Pulls strong.