Ordering DirecTV - not for the faint of heart

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JJinVista

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'm a couple of months into my new DirecTV subscription, just got my $100 VISA gift card, and everything's running smoothly, but not after much anguish.

At the onset, I had decided on a two DVR system for several reasons:
- So I'd have a backup recording unit in case one went out.
- To be able to watch at least two different shows without the expense of mini-genie boxes
- and to have a box to take in my RV on road trips.
I have five TVs in my house, but only two warm bodies who watch at any given time. So I planned on whole-home DVR, installing a few splitters from Monoprice, some cabling, UHF remotes at each TV, and presto! Problem solved without extra ongoing monthly fees for mini-Genies.

Starting with a local DirecTV installer / rep, I had my order lined up until they started the paperwork. They wanted a SSN from me. I told them they had no business knowing my SSN. They said they couldn't open an account without it. I told them they just lost a customer.

So next I called DirecTV / AT&T directly who agreed that they didn't need no stinkin' SSN to set up an order. I got a high-pressure sales person type who kept trying to steer me into bundles of other AT&T products. I finally convinced him what I wanted, but he stated that he couldn't order the two boxes (HR44 - I wanted the multiple output jacks, Component and HDMI, to reduce the signals I was splitting, plus I like the old school land line caller ID on this box, and... an HR24 - my 2nd DVR). Apparently, the AT&T order dialog doesn't allow for ordering more than one DVR, or for specifying model numbers. "No problem", he said, we'll just put together a bogus order, then in the "Notes" section, we'll spell out your real order. "Then when the installer contacts you, just verify that he's bringing the boxes that you want." I was skeptical, but went with it. Then the rep hangs up before I gave him my friend's info to get the referral credit.

I call back and get forwarded a few times, then give the referral info to another rep who assures me she'll take care of it.

From reading this forum, I anticipated there would be a $200 charge for my extra DVR. Nobody at AT&T could quote me a price on this - my "real" order - as their order entry system doesn't allow for ordering such configurations.

Next I get multiple emails, confirming an order for equipment I didn't order, and I play along.

Next come the robo-calls about my installation appointment. I wanted to contact the installer to confirm that he would have my equipment on the truck when he arrived, but apparently contact info for installers is top secret. AT&T won't give you any direct contact info (phone or email) for your installer. Ridiculous.

Of course when the installer arrives, he hadn't read the "Notes" section of my order, and doesn't have my equipment. But luckily, he's able to chase it down locally, and then returns. Next I have to get on the phone with an AT&T rep and verbally give them my credit card info so they can charge me for the extra DVR, but I expected that.

I had pre-wired the coax cabling to the dish antenna location, and between the two boxes in my house, so the installation went quick. The installer didn't know a whole lot, saying my HR24 wouldn't work with a UHF remote, but I finished doing my own setup after he left and switched it from IR to UHF mode. Installed my splitters and was pleasantly surprised that everything worked as planned. One run I was skeptical of consisted of a 15 foot HDMI run up the wall, to a powered splitter in the attic, then out 50' in two directions to two other TVs. But with RedMere HDMI cables on the 50' runs, it works perfectly.

The last bit of drama was calling AT&T today to complain that my $10 monthly referral credit wasn't appearing on my bill. Apparently I have some other promotion that doesn't allow for the referral promotion. Of course they didn't tell me that when I was placing my order.

Overall I'm happy with the DirecTV technology, but I've left my Dish antenna up and plan to switch back after my 2 year contract is up. Regularly switching providers seems like the only way to get a good price.

Ok ...
Alot of stuff you got gong on here.

First, you made a good choice, wanting a Genie and a HR24 .... you have a back up if something should happen to one or the other recvr, also you can move the HR24 to your RV.
When doing the RV thing, what type of dish are you using when traveling ?
There are many out there, you can set up your dish each time you stop, buy a SL3 dish or a SWM SL3 dish.
If you have the Genie and it sounds like thats the way you went, I would recommend using the same type dish for the RV, this way when changing locations, you don't have to deal with Re Running the Sat set up each time.

Now, generally speaking, you can't specify what recvr you want and be assured to get it ... according to D*, a DVR is a DVR and a Genie is a Genie ....
Us here know better.

And NO, YOU CANNOT have the installers phone or email ahead of time ... you may find this odd, but we do not know who gets what job ahead of time, as in days like your thinking.

As a Tech, the order is pulled for you and you put on your truck what is expected to be needed each day.

Yes, you can ask the installer if he has the correct recvrs for your install, when he does his Pre Call .... every one does a pre call.

As for reading notes, there are MANY times where I don't see the same notes the person taking the order does.

Many times the Credits you get for the Referral in this case don't show up until the second month.

Not everyone does a pre call

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Its required where I'm at .... also every and any time I've had D* out to my home, they have always pre called.

As per your post, every one should do a pre call.

He'll were even harped on about making post calls.

Also, I was talking to one of my customers that I was installing the other day and he said that the system emailed him or called him 2 days before and right after I picked up my job ... now this is the first time I've heard of this, but if thats the case, then I guess I don't really have to do a pre call if the system tells them anyways.

I'll see how that goes over with the boss.

Most local offices require techs to do a personal pre-call. I was recently reviewing the SPIG for another project and it specifically states either a personal pre-call OR automated call must be made to the customer when a technician is enroute.

So technically company policy is either personal or automated call even though most places (at least that I have been to or seen) do

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I stopped doing pre calls 2 months into the job. A lot of customers hated the pre call because when I put myself in route they got the robo call. AS for the Tech not reading the notes that's on him. I always read the notes plus I always confirmed the work order with the CX when I got to the CX house

I always do a pre call before I leave, just to avoid getting there with nobody home.

If I get voicemail I leave a message that I'm not coming out until I speak to them and say something like as if I don't hear from them I'll reschedule the job.

Usually get a call back a few minutes later.

I might call again an tell them not giving my ss number also I have been with dish 12 years an I don't want to pay any upfront fees!! I want Directv it's time for a change

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Problem we often have up here is the CBR often times is someone that is not there, or across town or even, doesn't know who were talking about.

Why potential and existing customer refuse to leave a number to reach them is beyond me.

I might call again an tell them not giving my ss number also I have been with dish 12 years an I don't want to pay any upfront fees!! I want Directv it's time for a change

they need the ssn to pull a credit report

There won't be any Up front fees as long as you don't change the order from what they are offering.

Last edited:
They want 100 bucks from me which I will not pay that's crazy I have not missed a payment in 12 years with Dish guess I will stay with them guess I don't need a referral after all

They want 100 bucks from me which I will not pay that's crazy I have not missed a payment in 12 years with Dish guess I will stay with them guess I don't need a referral after all

HR24 is non standard, therefore a fee
no ssn, therefore a fee

HR24 is non standard, therefore a fee
no ssn, therefore a fee

See post # 11

So how do I go about doing that call them order online??

You can call them, or do it online or you can also do the Costco thing if you want, they have a $200 gift card (Costco) at the moment.

Another thing you might be able to do is tell them you don't want the 4 clients or whatever the current deal is and take the Genie and a HR24 (don't remember how many TV's your dealing with.)
Say you need 3 TV's and the deal is a Genie and up to 4 clients, tell them you don't need that many clients and see if they will go for a Genie a HR24 and 1 client ... if you have 3 TV's.
Basically your swapping out a client for a HR24, they may go for that.
Call in and inqure ... if you don't like the answer they give you, call back again, you will never get the same CSR and try again.

Called twice struck out both times still want 149 upfront I know my credit is a little shaky due to a divorce a few years ago but dam lol

Well was at my local Walmart yesterday an what do I see??? Directv booth went over signed up for free no credit check just a address check all signed up no payment genie with 4 rooms an a 225 Walmart gift card

Reactions: Jimbo
Well was at my local Walmart yesterday an what do I see??? Directv booth went over signed up for free no credit check just a address check all signed up no payment genie with 4 rooms an a 225 Walmart gift card

Hope it works out. Its most likely a 3rd party reseller. some are great, some not so much

they need the ssn to pull a credit report

SSNs are not required to pull a credit report - it's been this way since the 80's. I worked at TRW (now Experian) for 17 years and supported the software systems which did searches from inquiries, and I can tell you credit history can be retrieved just fine without an SSN.

There are some 3rd party order entry systems which may require a SSN, your dentist or landlord may ask for it, but unless you're applying for a job with an employer, or have a specific tax situation which requires you to give someone your SSN, don't do it!

Reactions: harshness
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)