Orion Cooker

I am re-posting this question. It was the last post of the last page so I think it is getting overlooked. The weekend is near and I feel some cooking coming on!

I just received my Orion cooker and I have some questions. If any of you guys can help I would appreciate it.

Would it be a good idea to clean the inside of the cooker and then coat it and the accessories with Pam or some other cooking oil to help keep the grease from sticking to it?

I see that the cooking times for six racks of baby back ribs is 1 1/2 hours but what if I just want to do two racks? Is it still 1 1/2 hours?

I am re-posting this question. It was the last post of the last page so I think it is getting overlooked. The weekend is near and I feel some cooking coming on!

I just received my Orion cooker and I have some questions. If any of you guys can help I would appreciate it.

Would it be a good idea to clean the inside of the cooker and then coat it and the accessories with Pam or some other cooking oil to help keep the grease from sticking to it?

I see that the cooking times for six racks of baby back ribs is 1 1/2 hours but what if I just want to do two racks? Is it still 1 1/2 hours?

I wouldn't do anything to it. No need for cooking oil. Grease is not a problem with it.

And yes 1:20 - 1:30 regardless. We did 4 the last time I think. Took just about 1:30.

BTW -- babyback spare ribs done in the Orion freeze really well. We have had "leftovers" from the last cook several times, and it tastes like its just out of the smoker. Just reheat in the microwave.

Thank you for the help.
I am looking forward to cooking some ribs and pork butt.
I want to try a beef shoulder clod. You don't find much about the shoulder clod but they really cook up good on my off set smoker. It will be interesting to see how the Orion handles one.

The Clod; whole beef shoulder (sometimes called a chuck roast or mock brisket) is simply not a tender piece but a a basic value cut. It doesn't get much "play" because it is way down there in the rankings of beef cuts and most smoking legions prefer pork; especially when it comes to the shoulder portion. BUT many like the taste/experience for the cheap value. Here are a few reads:

http://www.scooterscookbook.com/images/beef cuts.jpg

How to prepare and smoke a Beef Clod « Big Iron Barbecue

BBQ Lodge - Beef Shoulder or Clod

Barbecue University®

Barbecue Bible

I read every page and all of the people wrote very good articles. The Orion was well represented and the ideas on cooking time , rubs and etc were great. Now I need to ge the lady to buy one so we can fix food for larger groups. thanks.

The Plan:2 Racks of Beef Ribs

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
1 Tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
1-7 oz. pkg of brown gravy mix

Brown Sugar Kraft's BBQ Sauce
French's Yellow Mustard
Mesquite Chips
Water in drip pan

Sprinkled rub on ribs, applied BBQ Sauce and Mustard and blend add more rub and put back in fridge for 2 hours removing for last hour before cook...

Ignition 6:30 pm, windy added more coals at 7:25 pm ...

Pulled at 8:00 pm then let set for 30 minutes... pretty good...

Last edited:
The Plan:4 Racks of Beef Ribs

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning

Honey Kraft's BBQ Sauce
French's Spicy Yellow Mustard
Mesquite Chips
1 Budweiser & 4 oz of Coca-Cola in drip pan

Sprinkled rub on ribs let set for 2 hours then applied BBQ Sauce and Mustard and blend add more rub and let set for 30 minutes before cook...

Ignition 3:55 pm ... Pulled at 5:25 very good!

(Also have a package of chicken wings that I applied the above ingredients to and going to grill...)

Last edited:
The Plan:4 Racks of Beef Ribs

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning

Honey Kraft's BBQ Sauce
French's Spicy Yellow Mustard
Mesquite Chips
1 Budweiser & 4 oz of Coca-Cola in drip pan

Sprinkled rub on ribs let set for 2 hours then applied BBQ Sauce and Mustard and blend add more rub and let set for 30 minutes before cook...

Ignition 3:55 pm ...

(Also have a package of chicken wings that I applied the above ingredients to and going to grill...)

sage, oregano, parsley and Italian seasoning on a rib rub? Interesting.

Yup:)... added Oregano to the rub mix yesterday...the ribs and chicken wings were a hit although next time I will cook the wings in the cooker also... 7 adults and 4 teenagers and there was Beans, Squash and a Salad also... all that was left was a half a rack which will be taken to school for lunch by a couple of the teenagers...

The Plan:
2.5 Pounds Chicken Wings
5 Skinless Chicken Breasts
Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning

In a 14 ounce squeeze mustard bottle I mixed a half and half mixture of French's Mustard and Kraft's Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce along with a small cup of apple sauce and 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Applied rub on wings a couple of hours ago, applied rub to breasts about 30 minutes ago... then added the mix of Mustard and BBQ sauce and shook well (in plastic bags)added more rub.

Placed Breasts on bottom rack, wings on middle and top racks.

Used Mesquite chips and water/ diet pepsi mix in drip pan

Ignition 3:10 pm...
Pulled at 4:00 pm...

Excellent hot and spicy chicken...

Last edited:
My Home Depot had the Orion on clearance this weekend for $99 for anyone looking to get one.

I picked one up yesterday on clearance for $99....time to start playing aroiund with it :)

The Plan:
2.5 Pounds Chicken Wings

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning

In a 14 ounce squeeze mustard bottle I mixed a half and half mixture of French's Mustard and Kraft's Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce along with a small cup of apple sauce and 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar then added a little maple syrup.
Applied rub on wings Yesterday afternoon then added the mix of Mustard and BBQ sauce and shook well (in plastic bags)added more rub. Cook coming up for lunch...

Quick and Easy

Pet Food

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)