Orion Cooker

Trying something... started a 11.12 lb. Brisket (cut in 1/3rd's) in my old Brinkman with Royal Oak Charcoal/Kingsford Mesquite Brickets... going to cook in it for a couple of hours then finish off in the Orion... Marinated over night with an Apple Cider/Apple Juice mix plus some of my rub...
Swapped to Orion 2 hours into cook,
Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
1 Tsp. ground sage
2 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. brown sugar
2 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Oregano
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning

Middle & Lower Rack

Chips: Apple /Mesquite/Hickory Mix

Drip Pan: 12oz Bud Ice / 12 oz Apple Juice

Royal Oak Charcoal & Kingsford Briquettes mix...

Ignition in Orion 5:50 pm

(mopped with Coors Beer / Great Value Spicy Mustard / French's Yellow Mustard/ minced garlic/ rub mix)

Temp 90 with gusty winds. (T-Storms in distance_ :rant:_)
Pulled: 8:45 pm 192 degrees

Last edited:
The Plan:
4 lbs Chicken Drumettes

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. Onion Flakes
2 Tsp. ground sage
1 Tsp. ground red pepper
1 Tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
3 Tsp. brown sugar
3 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
3 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tsp. Cumin
3 Tsp. Oregeno
1 Tsp. Lemon & Pepper
1 Tsp. Lime Salt

Added mix of Kraft's Honey Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce, French's Yellow Mustard, Apple Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar around noon along with about a cup of rub & crumbled up potato chips then rotated frequently in plastic bag.

Mix of Kingsford Briquettes & Royal Oak Charcoal

Mix of Apple, Hickory, Mesquite & Cherry Chips

About 4 oz. Coors Beer & the above mix from the bag in drip pan

Ignition: 5:18 pm...

Pulled at 6:33

Good!

Last edited:
The Plan:
4 lbs Chicken Drumettes

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. Onion Flakes
2 Tsp. ground sage
1 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
3 Tsp. brown sugar
3 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
3 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tsp. Cumin
3 Tsp. Cinnamon
3 Tsp. Oregano
1 Tsp. Lemon & Pepper
1 Tsp. Lime Salt

Added mix of Kraft's Honey Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce, French's Yellow Mustard, Great Value Spicy Brown Mustard & Apple Cider Vinegar around 10:30 am along with about a cup of rub & crumbled up potato chips then will rotate frequently in plastic bag.
Shooting for early afternoon cook...

I had to grill the above the other day... my Orion rusted out at the bottom where the fire ring meets the cooker, I took the top off and picked it up and it broke... went to Sutherlands yesterday with a stock code to order another one, and they ordered 8...

orion rusted out????

Hi! its been a while since I hung out here. Originally it was to gather info on the Orion cooker. And gather info I did. You had the best and most user friendly suggestions for dealing with the cooker. I appreciated your willingness to exchange ideas. I have been using the cooker for the last 3 years. Other that the first couple of cooks, everything has been the best. We moved to Waco from San Antonio (job relocation), the orion made the move with us. Several people have eaten our bounty from the Orion and have been amazed.

I guess I didn't even think that the Orion would rust out. But, why not. I will be keeping it cleaner and drier from now on. ( I can remember the day I brought the thing home from HD, it was so beautiful. And I also remember the first time it was cooked in, and the horror I felt as I watched my shinny bullet become a dripping mess. I got over it after taking steel wool to it and cleaning it. I decided it didn't look all that bad with the drips, sort of like a badge of honor.)

I have yet to do a turkey or chicken in it, but that is only because I am the only one that likes it. Mostly we do pork roasts, briskets, sausage, some stuffed jalapenos, tried a smoked mac and cheese ( that didn't work at all), tried a smoked meatloaf, it didn't work either but I think I will try again). Thought it might be interesting to smoke some nuts......maybe pistachios or almonds. Haven't decided.

Glad to see that you are still gungho on the Orion, I know that I still am.

Have a wonderful week!

orion

are you going to accept all 8 of them?

I am always amazed at your recipes......you are so precise.....I am (as my husband says, lightly tethered to items that require precision......) a little of this, a little of that, my recipes are never quite the same at each cooking session. My guess is that I like the surprise of it. There are recipes that I follow thru without deviation, but they are few and far between.

Well, I hope that you have your Orion by the weekend and that you can make your self happy!

Got one! will probably be a day or so before I get to put it together and season...

Attachments

• Orion 2.JPG
    Orion 2.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 251
The Plan:
4 lbs Chicken Wing Parts + 2 skinless Chicken Breasts

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. Onion Flakes
2 Tsp. ground sage
1 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
3 Tsp. brown sugar
3 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
3 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Cumin
3 Tsp. Oregeno
1 Tsp. Lemon & Pepper
3 Tsp. Lime Salt

Let Chicken thaw & added rub, Kraft's Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce, a dash of Maple Syrup, 6 oz. Great Value Southwestern Spicy Mustard and a handful of crushed Potato chips.

Royal Oak Charcoal, used a mix of Apple, Cherry, Mesquite & Hickory Chips... Temp. 80 degrees.

Fired up new cooker at 3:15 with about 2 cups of water in drip pan, added Chicken at 4 pm with about a 8 oz. mix of Apple Cider, Apple Cider Vinegar & Apple juice plus 8 oz. Coors Beer.

Pulled at 5 pm

Last edited:
Hey guys I am new here let's pump up this thread and get to cookin again! I love the Orion Cooker. Anyone smoked fish on theirs? I am trying to figure out how without overcooking.

Thanks!

The Plan:
Venison Neck Roast & Pork Rib Tips

Rub:
2 Tsp. garlic powder
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. Onion Flakes
2 Tsp. ground sage
1 Tsp. ground red pepper
2 Tsp. black pepper
4 Tsp. brown sugar
3 Tsp. cane sugar
2 Tsp. seasoning salt
1 Tsp. sea salt
3 Tsp. Parsley flakes
2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
3 Tsp. Cumin
4 Tsp. Oregeno
1 Tsp. Lemon & Pepper
3 Tsp. Lime Salt

Applied rub liberally patted then added 1 cup Apple Cider/ Apple Juice mix, 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar to the roast in a 1 gallon ziploc bag about noon Saturday... added a dash of Claudes today along with a little more rub...

Applied rub liberally to the rib tips this morning & placed in a 1 Gallon ziploc.

Made several slices to the roast & inserted garlic cloves quartered then put on bottom rack,
poured the marinate in the drip pan along with 3/4's of a Coors beer then put a little Krafts' hickory smoke bbq sauce & French's yellow mustard on top....

Placed the Pork rib tips on the middle & upper rack with more rub & a little of the bbq sauce & mustard.
Sliced a Apple and placed on the top rack...

Ignition: 4:55 pm (sundown)
Chips: mix of apple, hickory, cherry & mesquite

81 °F
Clear
Humidity: 13% Dew Point: 25 °F Wind: 8 mph from the SSW

Pulled pork at 6:15

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)