Orion Cooker

Orion Cooker Recipes

Good Morning! This is my first post ... so be gentle. Just found this web thread and think it is very helpful for cooking suggestions.

I, like most of you, find the Orion cooker one of the best things I have tried in years. Plus, I have never had better customer service than Christian and Orion offer. So in the spirit of sharing, I am attempting to "upload" a MS Word document that I have compiled. It is hopefully a useful cookbook that I can use and make reference to whenever I want to try something new on the cooker!

I'm sure that you have seen a lot of the recipes from the Owners Manual, other posted messages here, etc. What I did was also include "User Comments and Suggestions" from several other sites such as the user review sections of Home Depot, BassPro Shops, roadfood.com, etc. I have found it helpful to me.

If you don't have access to MS Word, or another compatible program that will open it, please let me know and I can forward it as just a text document.

Have a great day everyone!

Steve Mack
Albuquerque, NM

Attachments

• OrionCooker.doc
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,299
How did the apple juice marinade work out?

Pretty good. I enjoyed it much more than the vinegar one. I cut the brisket, which was a packer packaged brisket, into two pieces. The one we cut up and ate had a lot of veins and gristle in the middle, but was still very good. I wrapped the other half and it is in the freezer, ready to be warmed and eaten.

I used a rub I saw on a PBS BBQ program, equal parts salt, pepper, brown sugar, and paprika. I also added some dried mustard and cayenne.

LOL... bagging fresh roasted Hatch green chiles right now... and thinking about cooking a couple of chickens next week with no chips, then shredding the meat and combining with green chiles to make green chile chicken enchiladas... ;)

Dang, that sounds good. I probably should have you put some of those famous roasted NM chilis on dry ice and ship north :)

I'm hungry and the fridge is empty. One of you's want to come out to Hamtramck and cook me something? It's to the point, that just looking at the title of this thread makes me hungry without looking at the latest posts.:D

Pork Ribs

OK, I admit it. I'm stupid. How does on "hang" ribs from the rib hangers? The chicken I did was great, and I;m looking forward to trying a turkey for thanksgiving. But everyone raves about the ribs, so I'm aching to try them.

Thanks
Ken

First off thanks to all of you for the excellent information about the Orion cooker. I had been thinking about purchasing one for a while and found this site the most helpful in helping me make that decision.

I took the leap this past weekend and finally bought one. I decided to jump in with both feet and the maiden voyage was a fully loaded cooker. I marinaded pork ribs, beef ribs and a chicken and it all went into the Orion at the same time. No liquid in the drip pan, hickory chips added for smoke. I followed the recommended cooking time and eventhough I was anxious about the fire and forget part I let it do its thing.

The results were very good. All of the meat was slightly smokey, browned, moist and flavorful. The chicken split and slid down the poultry rack so I will adjust the cooking time for that item. It didn't matter other than presentation since it was delicious. My beef ribs were better cooked in the Orion than any other method I had used in the past.

My family ate it up and the only comment was the outide texture. They prefered the crispy outside that grilling gives the meat. I think I can resolve that by pulling the product a little early and throwing it on the grill.

I intend to use my cooker for the Thanksgiving Turkey so I can free up my oven for the rest of the goodies. I am thinking of cooking it in the Orion, pulling it a little early and finishing it in the oven. Any thoughts on this plan? Any special tips or technique from you experienced Orion cooks who have tackled preparing a turkey? I'd hate to mess up the big meal.

Thanks again for creating this forum. I look forward to visiting it frequently. :hungry:

Last edited:
:welcomeTo SatelliteGuys:wave... I haven't tried a Turkey yet... next chickens I do will be no smoke chips and will be for green chile chicken enchiladas...btw... I tried my afore mentioned Rub on beef stew meat in the crock pot a couple of weeks ago... came out tasty :)

Thanksgiving Report:

I decided to go all the way in the Orion with the Thanksgiving bird instead of pulling it early and finishing it in the oven. To two sticks of softened butter I added fresh parsley, sage, rosemary, tyme, 2 slices of finely minced applewood smoked platter bacon and added a few pinches of Bay Seasoning. I made a pocket under the skin at the neck of the bird; stuffed the butter in on both sides of the breast and above the thigh. More of the fresh herbs in the cavity and then I put it on the poultry rack that I treated with non stick spray. I rubbed olive oil and the outside and seasoned with paprika and dry poultry seasoning.

It was an 18 lb bird so I followed the cookbook suggestion of 7 minutes a pound. Nothing in the drip pan, cherry and pecan wood chips (I couldn't find apple or I would have used it) half way up the outside of the drip pan for a little smoke. I pulled the bird after 2 hours and 6 minutes and let it rest while we put everything else on the table. The skin split in a few places but it was a beautiful brown color and burst with juice when I sliced it. I had 22 guests and everyone was anxious to test the results since they never heard of the Orion Cooker before. The juice in the drip pan made an excellent base for the gravy and everyone thought it was one of the best turkeys they ever had. I'm sure I helped sell a few more.

Give it a try.:hungry:

Last edited:
Has anyone given any thought to adjusting cooking times for cold weather.... Just offhand I'd not think that'd make a dif... But want to throw it out. Need more of the best turkey I've ever had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)