Orion Cooker

I have read the last several posts referring to liquid in the drip pan. There are two things to think about here. 1. The only time we recommend starting out with liquid in the drip pan is when you do beef brisket or seafood.
2. Another idea is to cook the ribs and the chicken at the same time. Here is a recipe that was passed along. Get three racks of ribs and cut them in half and hang them on the rib hangers, two half racks on each rib hanger. Then place two whole chickens on the middle cooking grate (depending on how long the ribs are) or the lower cooking grate. Let them cook for two hours. When doing something like this, just make sure that the chicken is always below the other meats.

I know Thanksgiving is three+ months away, but here is an awesome turkey recipe that was passed along. Get the biggest fresh turkey you can find this time of year, probably will be around 12-16lbs. Wash the turkey and pat dry. Chop up parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (enough to cover the inside and outside of the bird). Place the ingredients in a bowl and add olive oil (again, add enough to cover the bird). Rub the ingredients on the inside and outside of the bird. For wood chips, use 1/2 Alder chips and 1/2 cherry/apple chips between the drip pan and the cooking cylinder. Cook at 7 minutes per pound. The smoke is nice, not over powering. It tastes fantastic!

Not big on turkey, but that sounds excellent. Will pass it along to my wife. Thanks!

I tried BB ribs again. Shortened the cook time for two racks from 1:10 to an hour. I also added about 12 ounces of apple juice in the drip pan along with apple wood chips. Put the rub on two hours prior to cooking and used Matchlight coals. Have to say the ribs were perfect! Moist, tender and full of flavor.

I also found the vinegar marinade for brisket too overpowering and am going to do it differently next time.

Thanks for all the info here.

Todays Cook
Chicken brined in Potash and Rubbed
Short Ribs, Rub applied 24 hours ago
Summer Sausage cut into 1/4's and on the grill over the chicken
1 Homebrew in drip pan...
Ignition 2:55 pm Mdt

Help me out here. Potash is something I put on my lawn. I guessing that's not the same thing as what you're talking about.

What was your cooking time?

Did the chicken taste like it was steamed?

Potash found in its natural state is mixed in with salt and other minerals, I work in a Potash Mine and brought a small chunk of High Grade out and disolved in a cup... cooked for 1:20... not really as I only put 1 beer in the drip pan, I forgot to add used Mesquite chips lining the drip pan to smoke.

Labor Day Weekend Cook

Plan on cooking 2 Boston Butts 13lbs total. No liquid in the drip pan, hickory chips cook for 4 1/2-5 hours. Football, pulled pork and a cold beverage----what more could you ask for? What is on the agenda for everyone else this weekend?

Family Reunion Saturday, so I am starting a cook about 7am or so of the above Briskets... I know my cousins will be cooking Brisket the conventional way, so I want to show them the light ;) One of them works for a Gas company and last year had a company trailer that has a roof, a cooker big enough for 4 briskets set up with lights, propane and burners... nice rig :)

Plan on cooking 2 Boston Butts 13lbs total. No liquid in the drip pan, hickory chips cook for 4 1/2-5 hours. Football, pulled pork and a cold beverage----what more could you ask for? What is on the agenda for everyone else this weekend?

Camping north of Steamboat Springs. If I had a bigger truck, I would have brought the Orion, but with just a small suv, no space. But the smells would have driven all the other people camping crazy :D

Saturday-Beer and football.
Sunday-Beer
Monday-Beer, ribs, and a pork shoulder.

Question. How long for the pork roast (5 lb.)? Instructions say 1:15 for pork roast but I'm guessing thats not for a shoulder.

Doing a 11.5 lb brisket tomorrow, how long you all think I should plan to cook? Cutting it in half and putting half on the bottom rack, the other on the middle rack.

I am not using the apple cider vinegar this time, gonna soak in apple juice, then rub with a basic rub an hour or so before I put it on the cooker. Plan to put some apple juice in the drip pan.

Doing a 11.5 lb brisket tomorrow, how long you all think I should plan to cook? Cutting it in half and putting half on the bottom rack, the other on the middle rack.

I am not using the apple cider vinegar this time, gonna soak in apple juice, then rub with a basic rub an hour or so before I put it on the cooker. Plan to put some apple juice in the drip pan.

How did the apple juice marinade work out?

The ribs were good; but not quite as good as the last time. I don't think my wife used the same rub, and you could tell.

Also weren't certain about the cook time. It seemed to take a long time for the briquets to really heat up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)