Orion Cooker

Same thing happened to me with the cooker. I had stuff running down the side like RobertJ but my meat was on the second level, not the top.

Did a boston butt, very nice, almost fell apart trying to get it out.

I
Doing the same thing... steam maybe?

Attachments

• orion.JPG
    orion.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 308
The racks are still in the meat, I usually cut just below the first rib to hang them on the rack, looks like he has them in the 2nd or third rib... :)
Between the 2nd and 3rd bone per the instructions. Next time I'll put the hanger between the 1st and 2nd bone.

I had no "leaking" problem with my chicken parts and they were on all 3 racks. My guess is that some bubbling juices from the ribs was hitting the cover and flowing down. Not a problem if this is normal. It just means a few more minutes of clean-up. That's a small price to pay for the results.

-Robert

Dripping

Yes, it is condensation that builds up on the inside of the cooker. This is normal. The lid is not completly "true" with the cylinder, this is done to allow the wood chips to burn. Cooking a 15-20lb fresh ham tomorrow. Will post the results after the cook.

Yes, it is condensation that builds up on the inside of the cooker. This is normal. The lid is not completly "true" with the cylinder, this is done to allow the wood chips to burn. Cooking a 15-20lb fresh ham tomorrow. Will post the results after the cook.

Ooh... that sounds good. I look forward to the report.

Modified Stuffed Brisket
2 strips Bacon

5-7 lbs brisket,

1/2 Yellow Onion,

1 Bell Pepper

Mesquite Chips

Dice 1 onion, and 1 Bell pepper, Butterfly brisket and stuff inside, alternating onion, bell pepper, Pin together with a toothpick. Season inside and out with your favorite rub, top with remaining bell pepper, onion and bacon. Place stuffed brisket fat side down on lower cooking grate. Cook 2 1/2 -3 hours.

I did the above adding beer and apple cider vinegar in the drip pan, put it on at 12:10pm (brisket was marinated in applecider vinegar)...Btw the X on the drip pan works! Now to shovel up coals from last cook ;)
Rub used:
2 Teaspoons Lite Salt,
2 " " sugar
1 " " Black Pepper
1 " " Seasoning salt
2 '' " garlic powder
2 " " onion powder
2 " " Curry powder
1 " " Sage
1 " " ground red pepper
1 " " crushed red pepper
1 " " onion flakes
1 " " Italian seasoning
all mixed in a 5.1 oz bottle then mixed with my previous rub...

Attachments

• brisketsa.JPG
    brisketsa.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 304
  • orion x.JPG
    orion x.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 306
Modified Stuffed Brisket
2 strips Bacon

5-7 lbs brisket,

1/2 Yellow Onion,

1 Bell Pepper

Mesquite Chips

Dice 1 onion, and 1 Bell pepper. Butterfly brisket and stuff inside, alternating onion, bell pepper,Pin togather with a toothpick Season inside and out with your favorite rub, top with remaining bell pepper and onion. Place stuffed brisket fat side down on lower cooking grate. Cook 2-3 hours.

This sounds really good.

Why do you cook it for just 2 - 3 hours, when th enormal brisket takes 4 1/2 hours?

Even better idea -- replace bell pepper with anaheim chili...

Yeah temp was 200... the big cook I did was spot on, but the wind probably played a factor in that...

I never actually checked; I just knew it was over-cooked. :)

The problem is I have about 4 or 5 meals of this meat still to eat. Got find some way to improve it. :)

I am thinking that Friday will be a good day to cook up some baby-back ribs again.

Ham

I cooked a 16.16lb ham earlier in the week. Put on the Orion Cooker Dry rub and put it on the lower cooking grate---- the shank rested on the wall of the cooking cylinder, right where the lid fits on the cylinder. Used hickory chips and left the drip pan dry. Cooked it for 5 hours. It was very, very good. The only change that I would make would be that I would have let the ham get closer to room temperature prior to starting the cook(the ham I bought was previously frozen and though the meat was not frozen, it was pretty cold). Other than that it was awesome.

That ham sounded good :) I had more of the brisket for lunch and sliced the rest for work, very good... One discovery doing the big cook Monday, the turkey rack from my deep fryer will fit in the orion and vice versa... I deep fryed 2 chicken's on it so might try cooking a couple on it as well...

Just pulled the brisket the apple cider vinegar way. Gotta say it's too much for me. I might go with some apple cider but I think I will stay away for the vinegar...

or just rub it and cook it.

New guy here

I've been following this thread since I purchased my Orion a month or so ago. I had a friend who bought one and told me it was the greatest thing in the world. I think I agree. Great product. Also, really good information here. I've done brisket, chicken, ribs, and pork roast on this thing and they've all been great. It's also really nice to be able to call Christian and get his opinion on things.

I'm sort of at the point of tweaking and experimenting things with this and I want to keep this going so that we can all compare notes. My experiment today is with the coals. Dropping $8 for a bag of Matchlight is OK if necessary but if something else can be used it would be better. I went to the opposite extreme today. I'm trying cheap WalMart generic coals. About $4.50 for an 18 lb. bag I gave them about a 1/2 hour lead before putting on ribs. I have a pork roast going on after the ribs. I only used about half the bag so I'll probably have to re-stoke periodically.

Anyway, I've used and appreciated the information I've gotten here look forward to future guidance.