Orion Cooker

I have only cooked Chicken breast's as an after the main cook after thought so I had no time to marinate or leave a rub on for awhile... I just put some seasoning salt on along with BBQ sauce and they came out just fine. Used coals but they were still going good, cooked for 1:15...

:up Thanks for the Welcome dFergie! I appreciate your assistance. Hope to be a major contributor to the forum.

:hungry:ALOHA!;)

Your Welcome! I Just put 2-9# briskets and 1 chicken in fridge... briskets cut into 6 portions, 5 marinating in Apple Cider Vineger and 1 in brine as is the whole chicken... will likely rain so will have to plan accordingly for the cook tomorrow afternoon ;)

I just signed up so I could ask a few Orion questions. I've read the entire thread but a few things weren't addressed. Today was my first time to use my new cooker. Three racks of ribs followed by 7 pounds of chicken parts. I have to work on the rub for the ribs. They were good but they don't come close to the BBQ joints in this area. The chicken is great.

1. There was some fat dripping down the rib holder and outside of the cooker. Is that normal?
2. Drip pan - pull it out while it is still hot or wait until it cools?
3. Clean up - I tried to pull out the pan and splilled some in the bottom. It looks to be a mess to clean up. Tips and suggestions are welcome.

-Robert

I just signed up so I could ask a few Orion questions. I've read the entire thread but a few things weren't addressed. Today was my first time to use my new cooker. Three racks of ribs followed by 7 pounds of chicken parts. I have to work on the rub for the ribs. They were good but they don't come close to the BBQ joints in this area. The chicken is great.

1. There was some fat dripping down the rib holder and outside of the cooker. Is that normal?
3. Clean up - I tried to pull out the pan and splilled some in the bottom. It looks to be a mess to clean up. Tips and suggestions are welcome.

-Robert
:welcometo SatelliteGuys!
The Rub is an ongoing thing for me also...:) Try the ribs soaked in Apple Cider Vinegar, last batch I made I did that way and they came out very good!
1. never seen that on mine outside of the cooker
2. I wait till it cools
3. Been there done that, I hose, then wipe out with a rag. The only thing I worry about being squeeky detergent clean are the rib racks and the grill's...
Again welcome to the site and stick around, we are about much more than Satellites;)

Last edited:

-Robert

:welcome Robert.

Like dfergie, I am surprised by the fat dripping outside the cooker. Doesn't make sense. How could it get outside of the cooker?

Definitely wait until it cools on the cleanup. Once its cool, empty the coals first, then flip the cooker over a trash barrell. Then we use super-clean degreaser on the inside and clean with a hose.

Just try to get most of the grease into the trash; don't want to leave it outside and attract smelly animals. :)

We usually clean it the next day.

I did my first brisket and I was very happy with the results. I used a dry rub only that i threw together. It consisted of:

Mccormick Montreal steak seasoning
Lawrys seasoned salt
onion powder
garlic powder
chili powder
ground cumin

I didnt measure anything, but I wish that I would have because I would like to repeat this recipe. I used Hickory chips filled to the top of the drip pan, and I put water only in the drip pan. The smoke flavor was more in line with what i expected on my first attempt. Everyone at my daughters birthday party really enjoyed it.

Then I shredded the leftovers and mixed it up with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and stuck it in my crockpot. I took the crockpot and a bag of kaiser rolls in to work to share with my coworkers and it was a huge hit. I actually liked the leftover sandwiches better than the original main course.

Robert J
"I just signed up so I could ask a few Orion questions. I've read the entire thread but a few things weren't addressed. Today was my first time to use my new cooker. Three racks of ribs followed by 7 pounds of chicken parts. I have to work on the rub for the ribs. They were good but they don't come close to the BBQ joints in this area. The chicken is great.

3. Clean up - I tried to pull out the pan and splilled some in the bottom. It looks to be a mess to clean up. Tips and suggestions are welcome."

My Answer.

1. What you see coming out of the side of the cooker is not fat drippings. It is just moisture. The Orion cooker cooks with convection, smoke, and steam. The steam is escaping between the lid and the cooking chamber, condensing and then running down the side of it. If it was air tight you would have a pressure cooker.

2. I pull my drip pan the next day. Why risk getting burned? That and after a day of cooking and eating until im fat, im usually too lazy to clean up anyway.

3. The drip pan is very unstable when lifting it by the handles. I think this is one of the cons of the orion cooker. Whenever I handle the drip pan full, whether it be water or fat drippings, I spill at least a small portion of the contents. Im also open to suggestions on this one. Maybe I shouldnt drink so much :D

1. What you see coming out of the side of the cooker is not fat drippings. It is just moisture. The Orion cooker cooks with convection, smoke, and steam. The steam is escaping between the lid and the cooking chamber, condensing and then running down the side of it. If it was air tight you would have a pressure cooker.
Below is a picture of the drip. I thought it was fat dripping down the rib holder and leaking out of the edge of the cooker.

The 2nd pic are my ribs. Durkee Dry Rub on the 1st rack. Grillmaster Pork Rub on the 2nd rack. And Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous dry rub on the 3rd. The Rendezvous rub was the best but they didn't tast like the Rendezvous restaurant in Memphis.

Thanks for the cleaning tips. I'll use them later today to clean up the cooker.

Thanks for the welcome. I was a member of DBS Forums back in the Dishplayer days but switched to the Tivo Community when I changed to the DirecTivo. I'll stop by the different sections and see if I can help.

-Robert

100_1048.jpg

100_1049.jpg

We have ignition at 12:05 pm...
4 Briskets (saving 2 for tomarrow as going to Deep Fry 2 Chickens)
Homemade Rub put on 1.5 hours before cook...
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Seasoning Salt
Paprika
Italian seasoning
Black Pepper
Lite Salt
Sage
Ground Red Chile
1.5 Tea Spoons of Sugar
Mixed in 5.1 oz. Bottles...
Put Apple Cider Vineger and a Homebrew along with a stick of Butter in drip pan.
Mesquite with a few hickory chips around edge to top of drip pan.
Meat on bottom and center racks with 1 strip of low sodium bacon on each one...

Drip Pan

Hello all. Try doing the following with your drip pan. Remove the wire handles. Then rotate the drip pan so two holes are on your left and two holes are on your right. Take one of the wire handles and put it in the top hole on the left hand side then, take the other end and put it in the bottom right hole. Do the same thing with the other handle. It forms an X. Let me know how this works out for you guys. Below are some recipes that have been passed along from customers.

Pork Tenderloin 1 bottle of MasterPice Herb & Garlic Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb Blend Masterpice, Poor this through screen to get out bigger pices. Inject pork with Masterpice place in zip lock, let set over night. When ready to cook rub on Mrs Dash. Use what ever chips you want.Cook according to cooking table, 4lb/1 Hr. then check.

Beef Brisket 2 tbs salt 2 tbs sugar 2 tbs brown sugar 2 tbs cumin 2 tbs black pepper 1 tbs cayane pepper 1/4 cup parika 3-6 lb beef brisket 1/4 cup whorchestersire sauce Marinate the brisket in the worchetersire sauce for 6 hours. Mix the dry ingredients into a dry rub. Coat the marinated brisket with the dry rub. Cook in the Orion Cooker for 3 hours. Serve with barbecue sauce on the side

Sirloin Tip Roast

1 (9 to 9 1/2 lb. Sirloin Tip Roast).

Dry Rub:

1 T. chili powder 2 T. light brown sugar
1 t. ground cumin 1 T. onion powder
2 Tsps. garlic powder 2 Tsps. seasoned salt
1 T. dried oregano 1 T. ground red pepper
2 Tsps. black pepper Pinch celery seeds
3 Tbls. paprika 1 T. dry mustard

Marinade:

1 C. vegetable oil 1 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. Worcestershire Sauce 1 bay leaf, well crumbled.
Combine and mix well, makes 1/2 C.

Texas Style Barbecue sauce:
11/2 C. cider vinegar 2 C. ketchup
1/2 C. packed light brown sugar 1/4 C. Worcestershire Sauce
2 T. butter 11/2 T. onion powder
11/2 t. garlic powder 11/2 T. ground cumin
1 T. salt 1/2 T. ground black pepper
1/2 T. ground red pepper 11/2 T. Hot sauce Stir all ingredients together in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5-7 minutes, stir occasionally, check that sugar has melted.

Rub the roast with dry rub and put roast in two gallon plastic storage bag. Place extra dry rub in sealed plastic bag and store for next cook. Pour the marinade over the Roast, seal the bag and chill for 3 hrs. Turn bag every 1/2 hr. At the end of 3 hours prepare the Orion Cooker. Pour a can of beer in the drip pan, add hickory or mesquite wood chips between drip pan and cooking cylinder on the side. Put roast on middle cooking grate. Put on the lid. Add 13.5lbs. of Match Light Charcoal in the upper and lower charcoal rings. Light charcoal. Let the Roast cook for 3 1/2 hrs. Check with a meat thermometer. Medium 160 Degrees, Well Done 170 Degrees.. Slice and serve the roast with barbecue sauce. Keep left over sauce covered in refrigerator. Roast will serve 8 to 10.

Stuffed Brisket

5-7 lbs brisket,
3 link sausage
1 Onion,
Romano cheese (medium package)
1 Pepper
Mesquite Chips

Slice three link sausages, 1 onion, 1 medium package of Romano cheese and 1 pepper. Butterfly brisket and stuff inside, alternating onion, sausage, pepper, Romano cheese slices. Season outside with your favorite rub. Place stuffed brisket in a throw away foil pan, fat side up on middle cooking grate. Cook 2-3 hours.

Take Care,

Chris

Getting set up... I approved your post Robert, our spam program catches attachments for folks with less than 5 posts... :)
I understand. I'm a 1,000+ poster at Home Theater Forum, AVS and Tivo Community. You have to be tough on the spammers.

Strange... Those Ribs look good :D
Very good. But I ate here on Saturday night. They have been in business since 1922. I've been in the rib business since yesterday. I have some catching up to do.:D

-Robert

Re: Robert's photos.

I am thinking he had the meat on the top level - and somehow some of the juices boiled over and into the cover.

Thats all I can think of.

Same thing happened to me with the cooker. I had stuff running down the side like RobertJ but my meat was on the second level, not the top.

Did a boston butt, very nice, almost fell apart trying to get it out.

I