Orion Cooker

ahh, a fellow homebrewer. Sucking on an IPA right now.

Chris from Orion called me today. His service is great. I have nothing bad to say about him, the company or their service. Again, my preference of food doesn't match what the orion produces. That doesn't mean it's a bad product. The flavor of the food was great. The texture it produces doesn't meet my expectations.

Enjoy the brisket ribs or chicken. *burp*
I will :) too bad you don't like the meat...

Chicken, very good but a little too salty, I'll back off on the salt content in the brine next time.
Ribs, meat falling off the ribs and very good... I need to buy more Apple cider vinegar...
Btw everytime I go to town I'm getting more chips as Wal-Mart will be getting ready for Halloween soon and Chips will be hard to find... need to do same for charcoal...

I would leave the salt content of the brine and back off or eliminate the salt content in the rub. I would also allow the rub to set on the meat at least 4 - 6 minimum (perfer a 12hr - overnight if you could) IMHO

dfergie said:
Homemade Rub mixed together:
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Seasoning Salt (I would surely remove)
Paprika
Italian seasoning
Black Pepper
Lemon Salt and Pepper (I would surely remove)
Lite Salt (If you leave any added salt, post brine, this is the one to keep)
Sage
all sprinkled with rub before cook...

I would also add some brown sugar and some sort of chili powder; maybe ancho (not much though). I can't give out my secret, but lessen the salt.

New Cook started at 4pm
Ingredients: 1 rack of ribs cut in half and soaked in apple cider vinegar for 24 Hours.
1 whole chicken soaked in a brine solution with rub sprinkled on chicken before immersion(1 cup salt) for 24 hours.
Homemade Rub mixed together:
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Seasoning Salt
Paprika
Italian seasoning
Black Pepper
Lemon Salt and Pepper
Lite Salt
Sage
all sprinkled with rub before cook...
1 bottle of Home Brew made with dark malt sacrificed along with the apple cider vinegar in the drip pan...
Used Mesquite chips up to the top of drip pan
1 Hour till pull time :)

Sounds great. But if I give Julie that rub ingredients list, she will want to know how much of each. ;)

Greetings. I was doing research on the Orion Cooker and found this thread. It was great information and was the thing that put me over-the-top on my purchase. A week and a half has passed and I have cooked three things: Chicken, baby back ribs and brisket.

The chicken fell apart when we tried to get it out of the cooker. It had a great smokey taste but was a little dry.

The ribs were some of the best I have ever had. Simply fantastic. The only complaint was they too were slightly over cooked.

The brisket (around 3 lbs) was also fantastic. We had company over for dinner and they raved about the meat. Again, my only complaint is slightly over cooked.

I followed the instructions to the tee and, at least for the brisket, tried to compenstate the time for the smaller cut of meat. Cooking time for the brisket was 2:15. I believe 2 hours would have been perfect.

The ribs (two racks) were on for 1 hour and ten minutes. I think an hour would have been better.

I am at an elevation of around 3k feet and perhaps that has something to do with it.

All in all I am very pleased with the results and have never turned out such great smoked meats.

Thanks to all for this forum as it provided me with some great information.

Greetings. I was doing research on the Orion Cooker and found this thread. It was great information and was the thing that put me over-the-top on my purchase. A week and a half has passed and I have cooked three things: Chicken, baby back ribs and brisket.

The chicken fell apart when we tried to get it out of the cooker. It had a great smokey taste but was a little dry.

The ribs were some of the best I have ever had. Simply fantastic. The only complaint was they too were slightly over cooked.

The brisket (around 3 lbs) was also fantastic. We had company over for dinner and they raved about the meat. Again, my only complaint is slightly over cooked.

I followed the instructions to the tee and, at least for the brisket, tried to compenstate the time for the smaller cut of meat. Cooking time for the brisket was 2:15. I believe 2 hours would have been perfect.

The ribs (two racks) were on for 1 hour and ten minutes. I think an hour would have been better.

I am at an elevation of around 3k feet and perhaps that has something to do with it.

All in all I am very pleased with the results and have never turned out such great smoked meats.

Thanks to all for this forum as it provided me with some great information.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

I am at 4600 ft and had no problems with cooking times, but just cut the times down a bit and I am sure you will get what you want.

The brisket and ribs were just amazing.

Also, Welcome to SatelliteGuys, I am around 3,200' here and the times have pretty much been right on... cut up back a little or slightly reduce your charcoal amount maybe... Eating the chicken I thought was too salty at work for lunch and it is just right ;) I probably salted it without thinking before eating it... gonna do a big cook Monday for a gathering, Brisket main item but have been thinking of deep frying 2 chickens also for variety...

I cooked that turkey a few weeks back and forgot to post my results on here. It was good,..but not great. I used mesquite instead of hickory like i had planned and i think i just over did it with the chips. The smoke flavor was really over powering.

I figured out a way to get some potatos done at the same time though. Using heavy duty aluminum foil I wrapped them once, then with a second piece of foil I attached them to the underside of the rib hangers. Downside is that you can only do 3 potatos this way, upside is they were tasty :D

Today I am cooking up a beef brisket for my daughters birthday party. I'll definitely be using hickory this time. Im not doing the apple cidar vinegar recipe. I think Im just going to invent a dry rub out of whatever I can find in my cupboard and go from there. I'll post my results,......eventually. ;)

I cooked that turkey a few weeks back and forgot to post my results on here. It was good,..but not great. I used mesquite instead of hickory like i had planned and i think i just over did it with the chips. The smoke flavor was really over powering.

I figured out a way to get some potatos done at the same time though. Using heavy duty aluminum foil I wrapped them once, then with a second piece of foil I attached them to the underside of the rib hangers. Downside is that you can only do 3 potatos this way, upside is they were tasty :D

Today I am cooking up a beef brisket for my daughters birthday party. I'll definitely be using hickory this time. Im not doing the apple cidar vinegar recipe. I think Im just going to invent a dry rub out of whatever I can find in my cupboard and go from there. I'll post my results,......eventually. ;)

We have 14 pounds of brisket marinating in apple cider vineagar right now, preparing for a cook tomorrow afternoon.

Gonna have to go on a long bike ride tomorrow in anticipation of the BBQ feast :)

Alas, when you buy cheap meat, you get cheap meat. :(

The brisket was ok, but not like the last one. I don't think we put enough wood chips in this time; and more importantly, it wasn't a good cut of meat. Then again, the last one was something like $5.99/lb.

I just buy brisket from Wally World and look at size and the look of the meat, and make sure I'm not buying all fat ;) not the price... will do that in the morning so I can Marinate for the 24 hours... along with 2 chickens to brine and either deep fry or cook...

I just buy brisket from Wally World and look at size and the look of the meat, and make sure I'm not buying all fat ;) not the price... will do that in the morning so I can Marinate for the 24 hours... along with 2 chickens to brine and either deep fry or cook...

The meat had a lot of fat in the middle, which we ended up cutting off; it meant part of the meat did not have a good rub on it.

Oh well... always next time.

Hey Gang,

I got some chicken breast I would like to cook today and was wondering if any of you have any recipes for rubs or tips on how long the breast need to cook in the Orion cooker for? Any advice?

Aloha,
Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts