Ortiz says he should still be considered for MVP

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
But Ortiz told reporters after the Red Sox's 9-3 win over the Royals on Sunday that he thinks that's what's going to happen.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz said. "If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBI [which would give him 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have."

"But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about [Derek] Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games.
"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Ortiz said if he had a vote, he might cast it for Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox, or Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins.
"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

"Morneau, he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is."

Ortiz also noted that Alex Rodriguez won the MVP in 2003, despite the fact his Texas Rangers finished last in the AL West. That season, A-Rod hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI.
"I'm right there," he said, "but I'm not going to win it. They give it to [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2582790

Ortiz sounds like he is crying.... I say play first base and you would have a better chance to get it. There are too many good players who played both defensively and offensively and they are not to be ignored.

Ortiz the MVDH, that is most valuable designated hitter. MVP is most valuable player. If Ortiz wants to be the MVP, he needs to learn to play first base. Ortiz is a great DH but a terrible first basemen.

To me the simple fact that Jeter was so consistent this year, and stepped up big time when the Yanks were decimated by injuries - and was so vital in keeping them in the race until Boston folded their tent - isn't that what a most VALUABLE player is supposed to do?

Papi is by far the MOST CLUTCH HITTER (IMO) but when they had their injuries to Varitek and Nixon, he was NOT able to carry (or LEAD) the team no where near as well as Jeter did for almost the ENTIRE season. In fact I would argue that Varitek is the most valuable RedSox - didn't the team fold when he got hurt? If your presence (such as Teks) is crucial to winning, to me thats what makes someone a MVP candidate. Not a guy that hits home runs in the 9th inning. In fact, if he hit them in the 2nd or the 5th, maybe the starting pitchers would be doing better. ALL the baseball people I listen to would MUCH RATHER play from the lead as oposed to having to have 9th inning heroics - makes for the team to be much better for the long haul.

Also, he talks about Jeter hitting in the yankee lineup - well if Ramirez (one of the games best hitters) didn't hit behind Ortiz, he wouldn't get so many fastballs, and he would be walked much more.

Sounds to me like Ortiz is whining really.

Sean Mota said:
Ortiz sounds like he is crying.... I say play first base and you would have a better chance to get it. There are too many good players who played both defensively and offensively and they are not to be ignored.

I agree. But even if he did play 1st, then he should only be considered. Comparatively, Ortiz is great because he hits homers and get's RBI's. That is it. Jeter get's on base more, has more doubles, triples, stolen bases (by far), higher batting average, (by about .50), and he is only a few RBI's away from Ortiz.

So just comparing the two offensively Jeter is more valuable of an all around player. And then he also plays the games most important position in the feild.

There were similar debates last year with the NBA MVP. Kobe was the NBA's David Ortiz, and Dwayne Wade the Derek Jeter.

Most Valuable Player does not mean you are the best in the league at just two stats. It should mean you are better than anyone else on more than just a couple aspects of the game. If David Ortiz and Derek Jeter were traded to each others opposing teams the Yankees would lose out big time, and the Red Sox would gain huge. Now if it was Derek Jeter, and Jermain Dye that were traded, it would be more of a "fair" trade.

That is only my opinion.

Ortiz' reasoning is that Jeter doesn't hit for power, and won't have as many RBI's.

My response is Ortiz has no defensive skills at all, can't take an extra base, can't steal a base, and only plays maybe 10 minutes in an entire game. In the early part of the season, he gets to sit in the clubhouse keeping his tootsies warm while ALL of the others players have to stand out in the sometimes snow, freezing cold for a couple of hours and THEN PRODUCE offensive numbers.

In the middle of the summer while his teammates on the field are sweating their rocks off, he is in the clubhouse (air conditioned) eating subs.

In other words - position players get their uniforms DIRTY - and usually EVERY DAY!
They have to PRODUCE on BOTH D and O.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts