OT Microwave interference with WiFi

I tried this out last nite and my wife thought I was nuts and laughed her ass off at me. I had to go to my man cave. I wished the dam bulb had lite up! Anyway, I guess our microwave is not leaking. I know when I am in my man cave (garage) and the microwave is on my wireless headset and remote control that operates the great room TV become sluggish. Always has done that, thank goodness usually the microwave is not on that long.
Did you go "boop boop boop" while slowly moving the bulb? That helps. (...make your wife laugh harder.)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Silly me. Our first Panasonic lasted over 20 years. In the past 15 we have had 8 microwaves including about 5 years overlap where the wife used the original countertop Panasonic side by side with the new built ins in our new home.
The wife won't let me move it because she doesn't want to stand near it when she is in the kitchen, so the MW is at my end of the room.
I'll try the light bulb tonight with the kitchen light out so I can see even a small reaction.

Silly me. Our first Panasonic lasted over 20 years. In the past 15 we have had 8 microwaves including about 5 years overlap where the wife used the original countertop Panasonic side by side with the new built ins in our new home.
The wife won't let me move it because she doesn't want to stand near it when she is in the kitchen, so the MW is at my end of the room.
I'll try the light bulb tonight with the kitchen light out so I can see even a small reaction.

I have never tried this with a compact florescent lightbulb, though I'd think it should work. I have always used a regular "tube" florescent bulb.

It (tube version for sure) will light up in the presence of microwaves. Make sure something is in the oven when turned on, such as a coffee cup full of water. Never turn on a microwave oven without something in it.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
I have never tried this with a compact florescent lightbulb, though I'd think it should work. I have always used a regular "tube" florescent bulb.

It (tube version for sure) will light up in the presence of microwaves.
I googled it and the illustration showed a compact bulb so I guess you can. It said to also go around the door edges with the bulb.

That's not the head I'd worry about most.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'd personally be more worried about my "boys."

OT but it seems like all microwave ovens are built to planned obsolescence quality these days. Any objective evidence that inverter technology is harder on the magnetron than continually turning it on and off? Intuitively it seems like the latter would cause more wear.

It is more likely result of the inverter electronics utilizing cheap parts than magnetron failure. Bad solder joints, cheap electrolytic capacitors, etc. . Much like the multitude of issues that newer fluorescent ballasts have when compared to the older, "obsolete/banned" magnetic ballasts. I only use magnetic ballasts whenever possible.

Much like the newer "lo-flo" toilets, "hi-efficiency" washing machines, etc. . Everything is being modified in the name of being "green" at the expense of quality and reliability. Thus, in my opinion, doing the exact opposite of what they claim to do, by filling up landfills faster. But I digress.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
My old Panasonic Inverter would regularly knock out my wifi; got a new one and problem solved.
A very good way to test if your microwave is leaking is to put your cell phone inside, close the door and call it; if it rings it is definitely leaking.
Just don't turn on the microwave with the phone inside.

It is more likely result of the inverter electronics utilizing cheap parts than magnetron failure. Bad solder joints, cheap electrolytic capacitors, etc. . Much like the multitude of issues that newer fluorescent ballasts have when compared to the older, "obsolete/banned" magnetic ballasts. I only use magnetic ballasts whenever possible.

Much like the newer "lo-flo" toilets, "hi-efficiency" washing machines, etc. . Everything is being modified in the name of being "green" at the expense of quality and reliability. Thus, in my opinion, doing the exact opposite of what they claim to do, by filling up landfills faster. But I digress.

You're probably right. The google search results trend was lots of people upset that their inverter unit stopped working after the warranty period was up. A lot of the specific complaints were either about the door not opening once closed or closing and not engaging the multiple interlocks properly. Looks like the general consensus to get around the planned obsolescence is to buy an extended warranty or buy at Costco where you can return a non-working unit for exchange without a box or receipt if you're dissatisfied.

Reactions: navychop

QFT.

My wife and I have noticed that the florescent tubes we use in the laundry room seem to be burning out after only a few months. New fixtures. I've started dating them. It might actually be cheaper to replace the units with LEDs.

We have extended warranties on our appliances, something I normally avoid. But a trusted repairman clued us in on how unreliable our stove was going to be, so we bought in on it. After the first appliance, adding the others is almost cheap. We've come out ahead, financially, on this deal. Scary bad reliability. I'm tempted to visit Bob and buy some good, old, reliable appliances that will outlive me. Right now, we're awaiting a visit to repair our "Calypso" washer. AGAIN!

Wow. Just noticed, I passed 30,000 without noticing. Must be because I post more from the iPhone these days.

QFT.

My wife and I have noticed that the florescent tubes we use in the laundry room seem to be burning out after only a few months. New fixtures. I've started dating them. It might actually be cheaper to replace the units with LEDs.
When we bought our current house we had SolaTubes installed in all the internal rooms, bathrooms, laundry room and hallway. They do go out at night but amazing free light during the day. One of the best investments made.

I hope they don't leak on you. The one guy I know that put them in, years ago, had leaks after, oh I don't know, 2-3 years.

Over 12 years now and no leaks.

I was worried about leaks after the installation of 16 solar panels, lots of posts attached to roof so monitored it a few times during heavy rain storms and so far no leaks there either.

When I am using my WiFi iPad to access this forum or others, like right now, if my wife turns on the microwave oven I almost always lose my connection.
My router is a Cradlepoint MBR 95 802.11 N.

Any thoughts on the easiest and cheapest solution to stay connected.
What channel is your router on? I move mine from time to time both to avoid neighbors and to see if something I cannot see is interfering with wifi. I'm on channel 2, but often on channel 11 (playing tag with a neighbor). Channel 1 is said to be prone to this sort of interference (and is often the default channel for new routers).

...In retrospect, if it was such a good idea, why isn't anyone else doing it?

Because Panasonic has a patent on the inverter technology. They used to license it to other manufacturers, but they stopped doing that a couple of years ago.

navychop:

With the CFL bulbs, if they are turned on and off frequently they have shorter lifespans.

So if that's the case you might just do better with the LED bulbs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

navychop:

With the CFL bulbs, if they are turned on and off frequently they have shorter lifespans.

So if that's the case you might just do better with the LED bulbs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
The ones I'm referring to are tube types, T12s, not CFLs. And now, 34 W vs 40W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts