OTA 49% is not a problem with 811!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Has anyone here received a signal strength under 49% other than 0%? I do not think so. It amazes me because most of you who post a problem are so quick to blame the 811 without understanding how the 811 works!

If you see 49% reading on the signal strength meter it means that either you have to realing your antenna or the signal from the OTA station is not strong enough to lock-on to. Open up your 811 manuel and read. When you get a signal strength over 49% than you have enough signal strength to get a lock but sometimes that is not enough to maintain the lock.

The receiver can lock-on to the station but can not hold it if the signal strength is above 50% but under 60%. the 60% strength reading is the magic number with the 811. You have lock and the picture if the signal is constant above 60%. Below 60% you have loss of picture and/or sound. Hit 49% and you will not get anything. Between 0% and 49% you have a carrier but not enough signal strength for the 811 to do anything with.

That is how the 811 works. Different HD receivers report different signal strengths. Some start at 70% in order to maintain a lock and some do the same at 50%. The way that the 811 works does not mean that it is defective or has a software problem. That is how it is designed to work. If you can not get over the 49% reading it is a signal strength problem not an 811 problem. :rolleyes:

JoeSp said:
Has anyone here received a signal strength under 49% other than 0%? I do not think so. It amazes me because most of you who post a problem are so quick to blame the 811 without understanding how the 811 works!

If you see 49% reading on the signal strength meter it means that either you have to realing your antenna or the signal from the OTA station is not strong enough to lock-on to. Open up your 811 manuel and read. When you get a signal strength over 49% than you have enough signal strength to get a lock but sometimes that is not enough to maintain the lock.

The receiver can lock-on to the station but can not hold it if the signal strength is above 50% but under 60%. the 60% strength reading is the magic number with the 811. You have lock and the picture if the signal is constant above 60%. Below 60% you have loss of picture and/or sound. Hit 49% and you will not get anything. Between 0% and 49% you have a carrier but not enough signal strength for the 811 to do anything with.

That is how the 811 works. Different HD receivers report different signal strengths. Some start at 70% in order to maintain a lock and some do the same at 50%. The way that the 811 works does not mean that it is defective or has a software problem. That is how it is designed to work. If you can not get over the 49% reading it is a signal strength problem not an 811 problem. :rolleyes:

It isn't that simple. There is another so-called 49% problem. Here's my post from yesterday:

(Quote)
The 49% OTA problem is with the 811 receiver. It's really baffling. I get the majority of digital St Louis stations (about 25 miles) no problem using a Winegard GS2000 with integral 19.5 db preamp installed in the attic. All DTV around here are UHF. The following stations lock on no problem: ABC(31), CBS(56), NBC(35), WB(26). I've never locked up with UPN(47) but their signal is weak and consistently stays at 49%. Now the weird thing is with FO:mad:43) and PBS(39). They usually take a long time to lock on (1-15 mins). The signal strength tends to stay at 49% with brief excursions into the 80s and 90s with the error message popping in and out sometimes and occasional frozen picture frames. However once the 811 FINALLY locks on, the signal strength hovers consistently around 83% for the PBS and 92% FOX with no further problems (unless I switch channels and return and go through the wait again). Why 83% and 92% relative signal strength does no lock up immediately is perplexing especially when I can lock up on Carbondale PBS(40) (about 70 miles) with 74% signal with no problems and the GS2000 isn't even aimed toward it. I've seen other threads also complain about the 49% 811 problem so it's rather common and just plain don't make sense.
(Unquote)
I fully concur that the 49% reading on the UPN is due to a weak signal. But your statement does not account for the other problems I am having with PBS(39) and FO:mad:43) which when FINALLY locked on, have signal strenghts of 83% and 92%. Others have reported identical symptoms and I read on one thread that dish is presumably going to fix it with a software update. Multipath is not an issue either because there is nothing around here (St Louis Metro East) to cause it. I'm convinced there is a problem with the 811 but maybe calling it a 49% problem is misleading though that number is displayed most of the time when I go through a lengthy lock on sequence on St Louis PBS and FOX.

JoeSp said:

WRONG!! I have had 10% on my abc then I put a large mast up and it jumped to 49% I have 2 other local channels the stay arround the 30's. I brought home a directv HD receiver and boom my ABC comes in at 84%. So again it goes back to my orginal theory. The 811 has software issue's

:yes

JoeSp said:

Hate to burst your bubble there, but it is NOT a signal strength problem. If I unplug the antenna from my 811 & plug it into my 6000, I receive the channel with no problem. If I them plug in my Samsung 151 OTA receiver, I get the station with no problem. But, on the 811, shows a signal strength of 85% or so for a second, then goes to 49% & won't lock in. Ironically, one of the stations that has very marginal signal strength will only come in on the 811. The other 2 will not pull in the weaker signal. It's been a consistent problem with the 811, I & other posters have had the same problem for more than 2 months. There are definately software bugs in the 811, this is just one of them. If you have an hour of so, read this thread so you can see for yourself the problems we're having.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=21228

Ditto for what SparkMan said. I have the "49% problem" on two stations. On my 6000, they come in just fine. My friend brought over his Zenith receiver, and all the channels come in just fine as well.

Obviously, there is a problem with the 811!

All the local towers are 30 miles from my house and within 3 degrees of each other. My 6000 receives the station just fine, but my 811 reads 49% and does not get the station. All the stations, but ABC come in fine on both receivers. It is an 811 problem. The signal strength on the 6000 is 78% for ABC.

JoeSp said:
If you can not get over the 49% reading it is a signal strength problem not an 811 problem. :rolleyes:

You're new here aren't you?

Read around a bit. Don't be so sure of yourself for you know not of what you speak.

DaveO said:
You're new here aren't you?

Read around a bit. Don't be so sure of yourself for you know not of what you speak.

No, I am not new to the HD market. I live in the most progressive digital market in the USA. I have talked to engineers at CBS and ABC locally and from what I have found out is that a 2% deviation in your antenna can cause some receivers to lose the signal. Where I live all the digital stations (8 are on two broacast towers 50 yards apart from each other) and the signals are are not necessarily the same. How much power they expend and how they handle the PSIP is different from station to station.

As I stated, the 811 requires a constant signal above 60% to maintain a lock. Other receivers might do that at a constant above 50%. Argue all you want but this is not a software problem with the way the 811 receives and locks on to a signal. Now if you want to talk about how it handles the PSIP signal and wheather that is the problem with the locking than you might be heading in the right direction. Once again, in most of these errors it is entirely possible that the OTA station is having problems with their PSIP and since Dish has decided not to use the OTA PSIP it could be causing a problem with the lock on the 811.

However, different receivers do not work the same. The FCC has not set any standard for digital receivers nor have they set a standard for the PSIP that digital OTA stations use. While a software fix could help the 811 with the OTA PSIP it will not change how it handles the digital signal or how much of that signal it needs in order to maintain a lock. That gentlemen is in the chips. And as I am sure most of you have read, some receivers are more sensitive than others. I will stick with my earlier post---and we can agree to disagree.

You may be correct here, but when I hook my 6000 to the same coax I get a good lock and I don't on the 811. That tells me that I am doing just fine with the signal, which may be between 50 and 60. The 811 needs to handle the signal just like the 6000 or it isn't as efficient and useful. I guess we disagree.

JoeSp said:
No, I am not new to the HD market. I live in the most progressive digital market in the USA. I have talked to engineers at CBS and ABC locally and from what I have found out is that a 2% deviation in your antenna can cause some receivers to lose the signal. Where I live all the digital stations (8 are on two broacast towers 50 yards apart from each other) and the signals are are not necessarily the same. How much power they expend and how they handle the PSIP is different from station to station.

As I stated, the 811 requires a constant signal above 60% to maintain a lock. Other receivers might do that at a constant above 50%. Argue all you want but this is not a software problem with the way the 811 receives and locks on to a signal. Now if you want to talk about how it handles the PSIP signal and wheather that is the problem with the locking than you might be heading in the right direction. Once again, in most of these errors it is entirely possible that the OTA station is having problems with their PSIP and since Dish has decided not to use the OTA PSIP it could be causing a problem with the lock on the 811.

However, different receivers do not work the same. The FCC has not set any standard for digital receivers nor have they set a standard for the PSIP that digital OTA stations use. While a software fix could help the 811 with the OTA PSIP it will not change how it handles the digital signal or how much of that signal it needs in order to maintain a lock. That gentlemen is in the chips. And as I am sure most of you have read, some receivers are more sensitive than others. I will stick with my earlier post---and we can agree to disagree.

That explanation just doesn't hold water. The problem many of us are having is the lengthy lock on sequence the 811 goes through on some stations. Yet once the 811 finally achieves lock up, (if it ever does on a particular day), there are no further problems and signal strength is strong and fairly steady. However, while the 811 is trying to acquire signal lock, the signal jumps all over the place etc etc. That definitely is an 811 problem. Also in my case multipath is not an issue. Regarding the 6000 not having problems when the 811 does, one needs to keep in mind that the 811 is a newer generation and should perform better not worse.

red hazard said:
That explanation just doesn't hold water. The problem many of us are having is the lengthy lock on sequence the 811 goes through on some stations. Yet once the 811 finally achieves lock up, (if it ever does on a particular day), there are no further problems and signal strength is strong and fairly steady. However, while the 811 is trying to acquire signal lock, the signal jumps all over the place etc etc. That definitely is an 811 problem. Also in my case multipath is not an issue. Regarding the 6000 not having problems when the 811 does, one needs to keep in mind that the 811 is a newer generation and should perform better not worse.

Red, The 6000 and the 811 do not use the same chips for reception of OTA digital signals. If you include the fact that the 811 does not use the PSIP of the broadcasting station and the 6000 does you might be able to deduce that the 811 might have initial lock-on weaknesses. I think that the 811 is alot more suceptable to antenna alingment than the 6000 is.

I would agree that the newer product should work better but in this instance, working with OTA digital signals it seems that it does not work as well. Whether a software fix can do the job remains to be seen as the ability to find and hold a signal is still in the chips and not the software.

Charlie meantioned back about 3 to four months that they were having problems with locking onto the OTA digital signal using the PSIP and that the 811 and 921 would initially not be using the PSIP. Perhaps Dish knew then that there were lock-on problems with the 811. I think that it is the chip they are using for the lock-on and not a software problem. There is a positive note here though--once the 811 locks-on and has a constant signal it does not lose the signal.

I have experianced loss of picture with a 70 to 75 % signal with integrated Sony's and Mitsubishi HDTVs. No of those customers' complained about it being a softwarebug but rather a hardware problem. I believe that the 811's way of handeling OTA digital signals is the result of chip selection not software bugs. Perhaps if Dish decides to implement the PSIP it will help the 811 in locking-on to the digital signal. Maybe not. I just do not see how you can change chip design with software.

red hazard said:

From what I have read, understand, and have experienced there are two things here that may be leading to some confusion.

1) The aquiring Signal bug that is also currently on the 6000.
2) 811 not being able to lock on to the signal.

I do agree that the 811s tuner should perform better than the 6000. From my perspective it is, but that is my installation and obviously some people feel it is the other way around.

When I first had my 811 installed, my signal was jumping all over the place and I could only get about 4 channels to come in. I swore it was the 811 and related to all the posts I have read. However, after I plugged my 6000 back in I saw the same problems. Turns out that during the installation problem something happened to the cabeling and removing my Power Conditionar from the loop resolved the problem. I am not saying this is what other people are seeing but I mention this because sometimes the root cause is something non related.

I also feel that the 811 is a bit picker on what it considers is an acceptablel signal. This may explain why some channels work with the 6000 and not the 811. One of the things I have installed on my OTA antenna is a amplifier and a rectifier which provides some adjustment. This helped with getting a better signal level on my 811. I know have very consistent OTA with the 811 in SoCal so it is possible. Also, I was told that the signal strength is actually a ratio of error to strength and not actually a strength measurement. At least this was the case with the 6000. I live about 40 miles from Mt Wilson. Also, my experience with indoor antennas was not very positive and I would personally go with an outdoor antenna.

I also feel, based on the posts here, that there are some conditions the 811 is not handeling well. Not sure what they are but based on the posts I am sure there are some but that does not mean that other people are not having a better experience with 811 OTA than 6000 OTA. The acquiring signal bug just add some confusion to the equation and to me really needs to be fixed.

I am curious how you know that your issues is not related to Multi-pathing?

PSIP Data

JoeSp said:
Charlie meantioned back about 3 to four months that they were having problems with locking onto the OTA digital signal using the PSIP and that the 811 and 921 would initially not be using the PSIP. Perhaps Dish knew then that there were lock-on problems with the 811. I think that it is the chip they are using for the lock-on and not a software problem. There is a positive note here though--once the 811 locks-on and has a constant signal it does not lose the signal.

Well that's the best theory I've heard so far. I'll be real curious what effect on 811 reception occurs (if any) after I install a CM 4248 antenna, rotor and CM 7775 preamp once the weather warms up. I actually bought the equipment for out of market signal reception (north and south) and wasn't intending to use it for STL stations (slightly south of west) due to possible preamp overload. I'm also debating putting the Winegard GS2000 on the roof vice attic which should give me roughly (according to the "experts") about 3 db gain at the antenna. If it's a PSIP data issue, then I would think a stronger signal wouldn't help.

Red

I too live in the St. Louis Area. I am in Wentzville, so I am further out than you are. I have a CM4228 8 bay large directional that runs into my 811 and my Mitsu WS-55613 w/ built in HD tuner. There is no pre-amp for my antenna.

signals for me are

Fox-89%
CBS-91%
NBC-85%
ABC-84%
WB-84%
PBS-84%
UPN-49%

On my Mitsu WS-55613, I get UPN perfectly, but on the 811 I get a signal strength of only 49%. This baffles me for 2 reasons.

1- the antenna is in the same position for both the Mitsu and the 811, so why can I get it for the Mitsu, but not the 811

2- I am able to get the analog upn (channel 46), but not the digital (46.1) on the 811. But the analog station is a bit snowy, but watchable

I have read all that has been written here and the chip theory sounds likely, but if so, why am I able to get the analog version of the channel and not the digital.

I live between Troy and O'Fallon, IL probably a little further than you from the transmitters which are south of St Louis. I get UPN exactly the same way you do. STL UPN uses comparitively low power on both analog and digital. Pls send me a PM when you get your 921 as I am curious how well it does with digital OTA signals. If it isn't better than the flakey 811, then I won't buy it. Regarding UPN reception, with digital it's more less an all or nothing scenario. If you cannot get a perfect signal, you generally get nothing or in the case of the 811 a steady 49% reading. With analog, the signal "gracefully" degrades; that's why you see the snow.

red hazard said:
Well that's the best theory I've heard so far. I'll be real curious what effect on 811 reception occurs (if any) after I install a CM 4248 antenna, rotor and CM 7775 preamp once the weather warms up. I actually bought the equipment for out of market signal reception (north and south) and wasn't intending to use it for STL stations (slightly south of west) due to possible preamp overload. I'm also debating putting the Winegard GS2000 on the roof vice attic which should give me roughly (according to the "experts") about 3 db gain at the antenna. If it's a PSIP data issue, then I would think a stronger signal wouldn't help.

Red, I have the CM4248 in my atic. I do not need a rotor because all of the digital stations here are on two towers at 181 and 182 degrees from my house. There are 9 digital stations broadcasting (3 are local stations not currently broadcasting) from those two towers. I intend to put the antenna on my roof when it gets a little warmer around here. I do use a preamp and when all of my signals that I receive are in the 84 - 87 signal strengh with the preamp. I am 40 miles from the towers.

As for Charlie's statement it was in response to a tech question about the HD receivers and if they would be using the station's PSIP or if Dish would be providing the info. At the time the statement was no on the PSIP and that Dish would be providing the info from their national feeds. Seems like they are not doing that either. Don't you just love being the guinea pig! Could explain the great ($149) deal on their 811 !!

Problem with 811, if it doesn't see 70 percent, it won't even try. IT is a problem, if it is by design, the designer was an idiot.

JoeSp said:

Well, I got my antenna rotor installed this week so now I geel I can comment on the 40% issue. I have a Radio Shack 160" 57 element antenna (probably not the best but should be sufficient). I also have the Radio Shack 15-1109 antenna mounted pre amp and the rotor is the channel master model # 9521A. My son-in-law has virtually the same setup as I do and lives about two miles from me. The major difference in our system is the receiver. He uses the internal HD receiver in hid 65" Mitsubishi. I am using the Dish 811. Below is a list of all the stations in our area. He receives all the digitals on the list. I only receive the ones marked "ok" in the list.

Analog Digital Station Antenna
City Channel Channel Network ID PositionSignal
Bowling Green, KY 13 33 ABC WBKO 99 ok
Bowling Green, KY 24 18 PBS WKYU 112 ok
Bowling Green, KY 40 16 NBC WNKY 90 40%
Bowling Green, KY 53 48 PBS WKGB 89 ok
Madisonville, KY 35 42 PBS WKMA 247 40%

Nashville, KY 2 27 ABC WKRN 241 40%
Nashville, KY 4 10 NBC WSMV 224 ok
Nashville, KY 5 56 CBS WTVF 224 40%
Nashville, KY 5+ 56 CBS WTVF 224 40%
Nashville, KY 9 12 PBS HD WNIN 40%
Nashville, KY 17 15 FOX W2TV 202 40%
Nashville, KY 30 21 UPN WUXP 247 40%
Nashville, KY 58 23 WB WNAB 241 40%
Nashville, KY 36 28 PAX WNPX 0%

Evansville, IL 19 20 WB WA2E 0%
Evansville, IL 9 54 HALLMARK WHMK 0%

JoeSp said:

Well, I got my antenna rotor installed this week so now I feel I can comment on the 40% issue. I have a Radio Shack 160" 57 element antenna (probably not the best but should be sufficient). I also have the Radio Shack 15-1109 antenna mounted pre amp and the rotor is the channel master model # 9521A. My son-in-law has virtually the same setup as I do and lives about two miles from me. The major difference in our system is the receiver. He uses the internal HD receiver in hid 65" Mitsubishi. I am using the Dish 811. Below is a list of all the stations in our area . He receives all the digitals on the list (without anything dropping out). I only receive the ones marked "ok" in the list. I live in Morgantown, KY. Draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is that there is a problem with the Dish receiver. And yes I don't know anything about how the 811 works bu I do know that it doesn't seem to work for me. If the S/W that is "forthcoming" doesn't fix all the probl;ems I will be forced to do something. I see my only option as buying an OTA receiver to see if the 811 is the real problem. I just don't like the run around Dish gives when you present them with a problem.

Bowling Green is ~20 miles away
Nashville is ~60 Miles
Evansville is 87 Miles
Madisonville is ~63 Miles

Bowling Green, KY 33 ABC WBKO ok
Bowling Green, KY 18 PBS WKYU ok
Bowling Green, KY 16 NBC WNKY 40%
Bowling Green, KY 48 PBS WKGB ok

Madisonville, KY 42 PBS WKMA 40%

Nashville, TN 27 ABC WKRN 40%
Nashville, TN 10 NBC WSMV ok
Nashville, TN 56 CBS WTVF 40%
Nashville, TN 12 PBS HD WNIN 40%
Nashville, TN 15 FOX W2TV 40%
Nashville, TN 21 UPN WUXP 40%
Nashville, TN 23 WB WNAB 40%
Nashville, TN 28 PAX WNPX 0%

Evansville, IL 20 WB WA2E 0%
Evansville, IL 54 HALLMARK WHMK 0%

Gordon Small said:
Well, I got my antenna rotor installed this week so now I feel I can comment on the 40% issue. I have a Radio Shack 160" 57 element antenna (probably not the best but should be sufficient). I also have the Radio Shack 15-1109 antenna mounted pre amp and the rotor is the channel master model # 9521A. My son-in-law has virtually the same setup as I do and lives about two miles from me. The major difference in our system is the receiver. He uses the internal HD receiver in hid 65" Mitsubishi. I am using the Dish 811. Below is a list of all the stations in our area . He receives all the digitals on the list (without anything dropping out). I only receive the ones marked "ok" in the list. I live in Morgantown, KY. Draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is that there is a problem with the Dish receiver. And yes I don't know anything about how the 811 works bu I do know that it doesn't seem to work for me. If the S/W that is "forthcoming" doesn't fix all the probl;ems I will be forced to do something. I see my only option as buying an OTA receiver to see if the 811 is the real problem. I just don't like the run around Dish gives when you present them with a problem.

Bowling Green is ~20 miles away
Nashville is ~60 Miles
Evansville is 87 Miles
Madisonville is ~63 Miles

Bowling Green, KY 33 ABC WBKO ok
Bowling Green, KY 18 PBS WKYU ok
Bowling Green, KY 16 NBC WNKY 40%
Bowling Green, KY 48 PBS WKGB ok

Madisonville, KY 42 PBS WKMA 40%

Nashville, TN 27 ABC WKRN 40%
Nashville, TN 10 NBC WSMV ok
Nashville, TN 12 PBS HD WNIN 40%
Nashville, TN 15 FOX W2TV 40%
Nashville, TN 21 UPN WUXP 40%
Nashville, TN 23 WB WNAB 40%
Nashville, TN 28 PAX WNPX 0%

Evansville, IL 20 WB WA2E 0%
Evansville, IL 54 HALLMARK WHMK 0%

Well the receive is not the only variable in this situation. One it could be the location of the houses, building and land obsticles, and cabeling. I would suggest taking your 811 over to your friends house and try it there if possible. You only need to run it a little while and check signal strength. Also, I would suggest adding a rectifier so that you can adjust the preamp. What I preamp can do is overdrive your signal and cause more harm than good. I believe the signal strength meter is a ratio of strength to errors so if you are getting a lot of errors coming over the signal strength with drop. At least this is the case with the 6000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts