OTA Adapter Questions

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I recently went back to DISH with the Duo and 120 package without locals. I have an outdoor antenna and get strong reception of the El Paso channels.
I am sure the answer to some of my concerns is here but the search terms are so common that I can not find them.

1. Does one have to subscribe to locals from satellite to get OTA guide information? I am only concerned with the "Big 4 Networks".
2. dish-tv-antenna-dual-tuner-usb-adapter-for-hopper-and-wally-es212553. Is this the correct adapter?
3. nas-satellite-and-ota-tv-antenna-diplexer-power-passing-std-9501. Do these diplexers still work with modern equipment? I know that a set of two are needed (one outside and one behind the TV). I had a set 20 years ago but that was with a simple 18 inch dish.
Thanks to all!

In addition to Zippyfrog's answer, please be aware that sub station (extra channels offered by networks such as 18-1, 18-2, etc.) programming information may not be included in Dish Guide. it will show the name of the sub channel. You can get this information at web sites such as

If you decide to record from a subchannel and there is no information available there won't be a title for the recording but a bunch of letters and numbers. You cannot edit the title. If you have a lot of recordings under this condition it becomes cumbersome.

In addition to Zippyfrog's answer, please be aware that sub station (extra channels offered by networks such as 18-1, 18-2, etc.) programming information may not be included in Dish Guide. it will show the name of the sub channel. You can get this information at web sites such as

If you decide to record from a subchannel and there is no information available there won't be a title for the recording but a bunch of letters and numbers. You cannot edit the title. If you have a lot of recordings under this condition it becomes cumbersome.
Interesting, I have 70+ locals scanned in to my Wallys and the guide info is there for all of them including the subs. In fact the guide info for the OTA channels is more accurate than for the Dish channels.

Correct - here in Chicago, there is subchannel data as well for over half of the subchannels. But the other half have the infamous "digital service" and isn't helpful.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Interesting, I have 70+ locals scanned in to my Wallys and the guide info is there for all of them including the subs. In fact the guide info for the OTA channels is more accurate than for the Dish channels.
Note that the post you quoted said the subchannel guide info MAY not be included. When I was with Dish, we got guide data for some subs, but not others.

I recently went back to DISH with the Duo and 120 package without locals. I have an outdoor antenna and get strong reception of the El Paso channels.
I am sure the answer to some of my concerns is here but the search terms are so common that I can not find them.

1. Does one have to subscribe to locals from satellite to get OTA guide information? I am only concerned with the "Big 4 Networks".
2. dish-tv-antenna-dual-tuner-usb-adapter-for-hopper-and-wally-es212553. Is this the correct adapter?
3. nas-satellite-and-ota-tv-antenna-diplexer-power-passing-std-9501. Do these diplexers still work with modern equipment? I know that a set of two are needed (one outside and one behind the TV). I had a set 20 years ago but that was with a simple 18 inch dish.
Thanks to all!

The answer to question #2 is Yes, #3 is No.

If you diplex after the solo hub it will work. (Technically it will work without the hub, but the hub keeps moca out of the lnb).
You can also connect the antenna to a client port on the hub and then use what's called a hybrid tap inside. And honestly a diplexor would probably work but I've never tried it. All of this is unapproved and not recommended by dish, but I've installed many antennas on client port with a tap inside and my own house is setup this way with zero issues.

Thank you, I see the two unused client ports on the splitter outside. I think the installer just used it to connect two cables together as there is nothing else connected to the splitter.
Could a member point me to a link for a "hybrid tap"? I am not seeing one at Solid Signal and Google just brings up all kinds of things.

Thank you, I see the two unused client ports on the splitter outside. I think the installer just used it to connect two cables together as there is nothing else connected to the splitter.
Could a member point me to a link for a "hybrid tap"? I am not seeing one at Solid Signal and Google just brings up all kinds of things.
It's called a hub and it's required. It does more than just combine the two cables together. It blocks power going to clients, prevents moca going to lnb, and provides a grounding point.

If you diplex after the solo hub it will work. (Technically it will work without the hub, but the hub keeps moca out of the lnb).
You can also connect the antenna to a client port on the hub and then use what's called a hybrid tap inside. And honestly a diplexor would probably work but I've never tried it. All of this is unapproved and not recommended by dish, but I've installed many antennas on client port with a tap inside and my own house is setup this way with zero issues

I live in Las Vegas, NV and I use 3 dipexters with no solo node. 1 connected to the ota antenna and dish quad lnb, 1 connected to the Hopper3 ota usb tuner, 1 connected to a joey and I have no signal problems with the setup. I get all ota and Dish channels. I get guide data on NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, MyNet, LVTV, PBS and 2 other sub networks. Attached is diplexer technical info and Dish installation setups from Sonora Design Associates and a tv channel frequency chart. Sonora still makes diplexers for Directv that do not work on there swim system and they no longer make the diplexers for Dish for some reason. But other brands make diplexers for Dish with the same basic Sonora diplexer specs. Dish moca runs on a different moca system and starts on a higher frequency than Directvs moca. Directv moca uses the E band 475 to 700 mhz and Dish uses F band 675 to 875 mhz with an option on some revicers to only use the 800 to 875 mhz for moca. Since the end of tv channels 38 to 60 (614 to 746 mhz) there is no longer any tv interference and few cell companies are using the 600 (Dish/T-Mbl) and 700 (At&T, T-Mbl, Verizon) mhz bands much yet. The bands are mostly meant for rural areas for better coverage. But you can get inline filters that cover the 600 to 900 bands if you are close to a cell tower(s). You can use Antennasearch.com to find out were cell and radio towers are located in your area with company names, transmitter wattage and the frequencies they are using on each tower.

Attachments

• MoCA_F_Diplexers Dish.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 59
  • FCC Frequency-Charts.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 62