OTA after Voom shutdown ?

Dano

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
Bensonhurst: Brooklyn, NY
I've heard that the VOOM STB could still be used as an HD decoder for OTA reception, even if it's deactivated.
How would this work ? (Does using the diplexer matter ?)

I'm concerned that if Voom goes dark prior to the Super Bowl, that i won't have HD signal for it :(

Dano said:
I've heard that the VOOM STB could still be used as an HD decoder for OTA reception, even if it's deactivated.
How would this work ? (Does using the diplexer matter ?)

I'm concerned that if Voom goes dark prior to the Super Bowl, that i won't have HD signal for it :(

If it is deactivated, you will not get OTA. It will say to call voom to subscribe.

I know, my rcvr was not activated for a while, and it would not do OTA

Thanks for the reply- that dispells the Ebay STB sellers claiming that while the boxes might not (WON'T) be activated by Voom - they could still be used for OTA

If Your Worried About Voom Going Down Unplug Now And Whait Until They Go Under And Your Box Will Work Fine. For Ota. Any Other Thought's On This From The Guru's

The box will eventually stop getting ota

The sub keys have to be renewed at least every 30 days.....

Or the box goes into nonsub mode

What happens if the power goes out or the STB needs a soft reboot? When I have had power outages or had to reboot the receiver would sit there and wait for a satellite signal before it would let me go to an OTA channel.

What would be nice is if a last program gets sent removing all the satellite features and turning the STB into OTA only.

I highly doubt VOOM will be deinstalling or will pay to have the receivers sent back. It would cost to much money and the only use the receivers have is to be refurbished for StarChoice and StarChoice probably doesn't want them. Don't forget that instalations in many cases also involved a dish and an antenna. I doubt VOOM wants those either.

bryan27 said:
When I have had power outages or had to reboot the receiver would sit there and wait for a satellite signal before it would let me go to an OTA channel.
Perhaps that was the case in older versions (prior to 6.00) No longer true. You can go to any channel without waiting. Only the PG is missing.

Are you saying stb's with newer versions installed can be used as an ota receiver only with no sub? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)