OTA and Diplexer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I'm not sure what ota antenna voom installed. Theres talk about several antennas around here. Mine looks like a birds wings, or like the hat sally fields wore in the flying nun. So, its now using the diplexer that voom installed. Can I remove the diplexer and the diplexer from the receiver, and run two wires (one for sat, one for antenna)? There are several antenna connectors on the receiver. One by the sat connector and two others in the middle back area of the receiver. Can the ota antenna just direct connect to the antenna hookup next to the sat connector?

Moderator Note: Thread moved to consolidate all OTA topics in the "In Your Area" forum.

randym431 said:
I'm not sure what ota antenna voom installed. Theres talk about several antennas around here. Mine looks like a birds wings, or like the hat sally fields wore in the flying nun. So, its now using the diplexer that voom installed. Can I remove the diplexer and the diplexer from the receiver, and run two wires (one for sat, one for antenna)? There are several antenna connectors on the receiver. One by the sat connector and two others in the middle back area of the receiver. Can the ota antenna just direct connect to the antenna hookup next to the sat connector?
is it all working ok?
If it is, leave it alone!
You have the new Sensar antenna. It REQUIRES power for it to work. Either from the diplexers that allow voltage from the receiver, or you can purchase a separate power supply from Wingard.

I'm trying to see if I can get a better ota sig by not diplexer-ing. Where does the diplexer get its power. The diplexer just connects to the sat and ota jacks. Does it tap power from the sat jack?

randym431 said:
I'm trying to see if I can get a better ota sig by not diplexer-ing. Where does the diplexer get its power. The diplexer just connects to the sat and ota jacks. Does it tap power from the sat jack?
Yes, the STB produces 12-18 volts to power the LNB. The power passive Winegard diplexer/combiner is designed to allow "sharing" of the voltage to pass to the antenna's amplifier to power it.

If you remove the diplexers, that antenna will not work by itself. It requires power, either from the receiver and diplexers or a separate Winegard power supply designed for it.

Not sure what you need to achive in better signal?
Either you have signal or you don't with digital. It's on or off as far as the HD tuner is concerned.
What specifically is the problem?
Why do you suspect the diplexers? Do you have low signal to start with? If you do, then diplexers or not you may need a bigger antenna with higher gain, although I must say the Sensar is pretty darn good from what I've seen, compared to most OTA's out that aren't some HUGE monster, ugly truck-grill looking thing.
If you're missing certain channels, that may be for several reasons and may have nothing to do with the diplexers.

I want to do the same but to improve PQ for both OTA and SAT.. I have unexplained "twinkling" in my HD and some SD channels I think could be caused by 1) old wiring and 2) diplexing.

Dvlos said:
I want to do the same but to improve PQ for both OTA and SAT.. I have unexplained "twinkling" in my HD and some SD channels I think could be caused by 1) old wiring and 2) diplexing.
Your "twinkling" probably has nothing to do with old cables or any diplexer. There are several threads that address that problem and I'm understanding that problem is partly software and certain TV brands. Follow those threads for that.
Old cabling can cause real problems if it's nicked or cut, has poor quality fittings, extreme bends or kinks. If yours does, replace it, if not "old cables" work fine, as long as it's RG6.

The diplexers do have a certain LOW insertion loss and MAY cause some issues when the OTA signal is very LOW to begin with. Diplexers are not designed to actually make any improvements, but allow shared voltage from the STB to power the amplifier that does have a improvement quality to signal, as long as there is good signal to amplify.

So if you have LOW signal to start, then you will most always have LOW signal in the end, unless you increase the GAIN of the antenna. Removing diplexers will not increase an antennas GAIN. Removing will only allow whatever low insertion loss increase of db to pass through the cable to the tuner, and that is very minimal overall.

OTA in my area is poor. I get nbc but cbs breaks up or isnt there at all. And the others, abc & pbs, never come in. From what i've read here, not using a diplexer and going straight from sat to sat-in and ota to ota-in is best. But I have no power source for the antenna if the diplexer is not used, looks like.
Next, i'm first going to try to adjust the ota direction to see if cbs can come in without then messing up nbc coming in. Seems I get either one or the other, not both. I've even wondered if a second antenna would get better coverage. Dont know if you can use two? And it doesnt help that many stations transmit at less than their 100% power ability. 2006 cant come too soon for me.

if your that low on a clear day then removing the diplexer MAY help on perfect days, but you'll probably crap out in any kind of atmospheric disturbance. It would help to let us know what direction your transmitters are from your home, how far away from your home, and if they are UHF/VHF. Then you could get some answers from the board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts