OTA and Dish TV2 on one cable?

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So for some reason, the OTA module on my 722k decided to just die on me. Don't know how or why, but I connected my OTA directly to my TV and it still works fine. I'd figure with the hopper being released this week (with OTA support soon), there's not much of a reason for me to get another one. The only con for me is that I can't record OTA and no OTA for my TV2 upstairs. I can live without OTA recording for now but I would still like to be able to have OTA for my TV2 upstairs. The problem is that I only have room to run one coax cable to that TV and that's currently being used for connecting TV2 from my 722k to that TV. I was wondering if there was some kind of either a diplexer, combiner, or splitter that would allow me to combine my OTA and TV2 onto that one cable and connect it to my upstairs TV. I know there are some key differences between a diplexer and a splitter or whatever. Basically what I'm asking is that is it possible to do this and if it is, what do I need to buy?

All you need is a standard splitter at the DVR end where you combine TV2 out with your antenna. Be sure to move your TV2 RF channel to something that doesn't interfere. I did this for a while and it worked great. HERE's a thread about it.

So for some reason, the OTA module on my 722k decided to just die on me. Don't know how or why, but I connected my OTA directly to my TV and it still works fine. I'd figure with the hopper being released this week (with OTA support soon), there's not much of a reason for me to get another one. The only con for me is that I can't record OTA and no OTA for my TV2 upstairs. I can live without OTA recording for now but I would still like to be able to have OTA for my TV2 upstairs. The problem is that I only have room to run one coax cable to that TV and that's currently being used for connecting TV2 from my 722k to that TV. I was wondering if there was some kind of either a diplexer, combiner, or splitter that would allow me to combine my OTA and TV2 onto that one cable and connect it to my upstairs TV. I know there are some key differences between a diplexer and a splitter or whatever. Basically what I'm asking is that is it possible to do this and if it is, what do I need to buy?

So I guess you don't have the Service Plan on your account?,otherwise you would just call DISH and they would send you another one?.:confused:

So I guess you don't have the Service Plan on your account?,otherwise you would just call DISH and they would send you another one?.:confused:
Would they do that since the MT2 module is purchased? Does the service plan cover only leased equipment, or purchased items/receivers?

if your tv is digital a splitter will work but a combiner is better. u can do this at the 722 but is best to do it after the diplexer that is feeding tv 2 one line, for tv7 out from diplexer on one port and ota on the other the single side will go to your tv2 line

To have it work proper go to TVfool.com and print the actual REAL ch numbers for your location EX. CH 11 is on uhf ch #55 but mapped down to your normal ch

After use TV Channel Frequency List for HDTV / CATV / VHF / UHF to figure a spot that is open with no local ch existing for 3 spots (#55 Fox,#56 N/A,#57N/A ,#58/NA, #59ABC use #57 in this ex for tv 2) and set 722 modulator to out put on that ch in air mode

For the hopper you will need a deticated line to the hopper for OTA as moca and OTA are using same frequincys. Yes it can be done on one but it will limit how your hopper can be installed and your DNS tech or almost any other tech will say its rong and needs to come out.

Would they do that since the MT2 module is purchased? Does the service plan cover only leased equipment, or purchased items/receivers?
The protection plan covers owned receivers, wiring and the antenna assembly. Leased equipment is covered by the fact that it is leased (although you pay shipping and truck rolls if necessary).

http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/Protection-Plan.pdf

It probably comes down to whether the OTA tuner module is considered essential to the basic functionality of the DVR and I'm guessing that it isn't.

I'd figure with the hopper being released this week (with OTA support soon), there's not much of a reason for me to get another one.
Don't be fooled into thinking that Hopper OTA support is necessarily due "soon". If you need OTA recording, don't get a Hopper until such time as it is a working feature.

DIRECTV's HR20 shipped with OTA tuners but the feature wasn't turned on for nearly four months. The Hopper doesn't even come with an OTA tuner.

DIRECTV's USB connected OTA tuner module didn't arrive until ten months after the introduction of the first receivers that might need it.

Such is not so say that DISH isn't closer to delivering the OTA experience, but it surely isn't wise to blindly assume it so.

Don't be fooled into thinking that Hopper OTA support is necessarily due "soon". If you need OTA recording, don't get a Hopper until such time as it is a working feature.

DIRECTV's HR20 shipped with OTA tuners but the feature wasn't turned on for nearly four months. The Hopper doesn't even come with an OTA tuner.

DIRECTV's USB connected OTA tuner module didn't arrive until ten months after the introduction of the first receivers that might need it.

Such is not so say that DISH isn't closer to delivering the OTA experience, but it surely isn't wise to blindly assume it so.
Even if it OTA for the hopper doesn't come out for a long while, that's OK with me. I prefer to have OTA recording, but I don't necessarily have an immediate need for it. Only time I used it was for Monday nights where I need 3 tuners. Since the Hopper has 3 tuners, it'll satisfy my recording needs. Until I upgrade, I'll just watch what I want on OTA live, which is really just CBS.

if your tv is digital a splitter will work but a combiner is better. u can do this at the 722 but is best to do it after the diplexer that is feeding tv 2 one line, for tv7 out from diplexer on one port and ota on the other the single side will go to your tv2 line

To have it work proper go to TVfool.com and print the actual REAL ch numbers for your location EX. CH 11 is on uhf ch #55 but mapped down to your normal ch

After use TV Channel Frequency List for HDTV / CATV / VHF / UHF to figure a spot that is open with no local ch existing for 3 spots (#55 Fox,#56 N/A,#57N/A ,#58/NA, #59ABC use #57 in this ex for tv 2) and set 722 modulator to out put on that ch in air mode
Pretty much all Detroit stations are on UHF except for FOX (VHF ch7) and I guess you can also count CBC Windsor (VHF ch 9). Could you or anyone else on here recommend a good combiner?

All you need is a standard splitter at the DVR end where you combine TV2 out with your antenna. Be sure to move your TV2 RF channel to something that doesn't interfere. I did this for a while and it worked great. HERE's a thread about it.

That's a great idea! Especially if you like sharing your TV 2 signal with the whole neighborhood. Unless you plan on installing a frequency trap for the specific channel (for instance 745.25 MHz for channel 60) between the antenna and the diplexer, I wouldn't do it.

That's a great idea! Especially if you like sharing your TV 2 signal with the whole neighborhood. Unless you plan on installing a frequency trap for the specific channel (for instance 745.25 MHz for channel 60) between the antenna and the diplexer, I wouldn't do it.
I can see that with an outdoor antenna...with a weak indoor antenna, highly unlikely.

For the hopper you will need a deticated line to the hopper for OTA as moca and OTA are using same frequincys. Yes it can be done on one but it will limit how your hopper can be installed and your DNS tech or almost any other tech will say its rong and needs to come out.

Hope I understand what you are saying........

I now use the home distribution from my 722k running to an amplified combiner/distribution box. I also have my ota running to the same box. From the box I run a coax cable to several tv's. THose tv's
can watch the satellite or any of the local channels. Is it possible to use this same single coax to each tv if I add the hopper/joey setup? I don't want to have to run another cable to each room.

I can see that with an outdoor antenna...with a weak indoor antenna, highly unlikely.
I guess that's another issue since I'm using a rooftop antenna that's at least 20 years old (still works pretty good though.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts