OTA Antanna

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Hello I am looking to purchase A OTA for my direct TV service, anyone have recommendations that can be purchased at stores like Best buy and such??....Thanks

If you are looking for OTA HD/Digital television, check out antennaweb.org, enter your street and postal zip code, and it will show you what is available and how far the stations are from your home and their direction, (which may require a rotor for you to get maximum reception).

Next find the correct roof mounted antenna that meets the recommendations from antennaweb.

I am looking at the Winegard HD7000 & HD8000 series, a local TV shop has them for $120/$150. Currently I have a Radio Shack :mad: antenna that VOOM installed. I will connect it to the SONY and see what I can pick up. If the results are good, I may spring for the Winegard and also connect it to my H-K receiver to improve my FM reception.

Forget BestBuy & Radio Shack, BB has only have indoor antennas that work if you live REAL close to the transmitting towers, RS has very poor OTA antennas and they do not have DB charts/graphs available for your viewing, (check out Winegard for DB charts).

OTA antenna (indoor)?

I went to antennaweb.org to find proximity of stations for OTA HD. My question is, I am looking for an indoor antenna. I am a novice with this so bear with me. Are the numbers below according to my zip code close enough for an indoor antenna? Thanks in advance.

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* yellow - uhf WOFL-DT 35.1 FOX ORLANDO FL 45° 24.9 22
* yellow - uhf WRBW-DT 65.1 UPN ORLANDO FL 47° 26.3 41
* yellow - uhf WRDQ-DT 14 IND ORLANDO FL 52° 24.5 14
* yellow - uhf WOPX-DT 56.1 PAX MELBOURN FL 144° 21.4 48
* yellow - uhf WKCF-DT 18.1 WB CLERMONT FL 47° 24.2 17
* yellow - uhf WKMG-DT 6.1 CBS ORLANDO FL 47° 26.3 58
* yellow - uhf WMFE-DT 24.1 PBS ORLANDO FL 45° 24.6 23
* yellow - uhf WFTV-DT 9.1 ABC ORLANDO FL 52° 24.5 39

I just got DISH HD Receiver setup this past month and using the same Antenna site that you did I found that I am aproximately 5 miles from the CH towers. I live in an old metal mobile home and was sceptical of getting good reception from an indoor antenna [from past experience with analog signals] BUT going on RAVE reviews I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor for $19.99 from Buy.com - - - I too can now RAVE for that little stinker. IT pulls in ALL the locals I wanted and then some. It is GREAT!

Good Luck - - - Michael

pokerguru said:
I went to antennaweb.org to find proximity of stations for OTA HD. My question is, I am looking for an indoor antenna. I am a novice with this so bear with me. Are the numbers below according to my zip code close enough for an indoor antenna? Thanks in advance.

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* yellow - uhf WOFL-DT 35.1 FOX ORLANDO FL 45° 24.9 22
* yellow - uhf WRBW-DT 65.1 UPN ORLANDO FL 47° 26.3 41
* yellow - uhf WRDQ-DT 14 IND ORLANDO FL 52° 24.5 14
* yellow - uhf WOPX-DT 56.1 PAX MELBOURN FL 144° 21.4 48
* yellow - uhf WKCF-DT 18.1 WB CLERMONT FL 47° 24.2 17
* yellow - uhf WKMG-DT 6.1 CBS ORLANDO FL 47° 26.3 58
* yellow - uhf WMFE-DT 24.1 PBS ORLANDO FL 45° 24.6 23
* yellow - uhf WFTV-DT 9.1 ABC ORLANDO FL 52° 24.5 39
The good news is: all your locals are UHF, so you don't need a VHF antenna.
The bad news is: Being indoors, and not a very elevated location, you might be on the outside edge for UHF reception.

pokerguru said:
thanks mdonnelly..........so what would my options be?
An attic mounted antenna, possibly with an RF amplifier should do it. There aren't many hills in Orlando, if I remember correctly. :)

mdonnelly said:
An attic mounted antenna, possibly with an RF amplifier should do it. There aren't many hills in Orlando, if I remember correctly. :)

True about the hills, none.........Any specific antenna suitable for this you can recommend? In addition, what would the difference be if I had an indoor antenna vs an attic mounted ant.? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I don't understand the difference b/tw a room in my house vs a few feet up in the attic, unless it's mainly based on elevation.

pokerguru said:
True about the hills, none.........Any specific antenna suitable for this you can recommend? In addition, what would the difference be if I had an indoor antenna vs an attic mounted ant.? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I don't understand the difference b/tw a room in my house vs a few feet up in the attic, unless it's mainly based on elevation.
Elevation, mainly. At 26 miles, your towers are likely to be below the horizon at ground level. I'm not saying that you won't get good reception with an indoor antenna, but higher is better at that distance.

Radio Shack has some UHF antennas, and a good return policy if the antenna doesn't work out. Also, the Winegard Square Shooter has a good reputation.

I think you can get a SilverSensor at BB or CC. If so, buy one and try it. If it doesn't work, return it.

In the attic you can usually use a big ugly antenna with greater gain, than you would ever have in your living room or family room.

BTW, stay away from the Winegard SquareShooter. I lost the link, but some technical test site tested it w/ and w/o the pre-amp and it didn't do well considering its cost. The SilverSensor did better and I think the Antenna's direct DB-2 did the best. The scope of the competition was basically antennas that could be used in-doors.

some help in OTA antanna plz

I really want to get the CW/44 in HD..I do have 722 box
Now 2 questions
Do u guys thinks I wait might in FEB/09,things getting all digital might dish getting that CW/44 in HD, without buying the antenna now and wasting money for only a few months?
2-if is NOT. Looking for strong and real good indoor HD antenna then. Because not into those big ones on roof stuffs! If u know any brand and real good HD antenna let me know plz :)
Thanks

I really want to get the CW/44 in HD..I do have 722 box
Now 2 questions
Do u guys thinks I wait might in FEB/09,things getting all digital might dish getting that CW/44 in HD, without buying the antenna now and wasting money for only a few months?
2-if is NOT. Looking for strong and real good indoor HD antenna then. Because not into those big ones on roof stuffs! If u know any brand and real good HD antenna let me know plz :)
Thanks

I live in Castro Valley, Ca too and wanted to know if you got an antenna that works for you and if so what channels do you get and how strong of a signal and of course what antenna did you buy?

Elevation, mainly. At 26 miles, your towers are likely to be below the horizon at ground level. I'm not saying that you won't get good reception with an indoor antenna, but higher is better at that distance.

Radio Shack has some UHF antennas, and a good return policy if the antenna doesn't work out. Also, the Winegard Square Shooter has a good reputation.

The Square Shooter is over priced, the Eagle Aspen works better and is only $15, look on line for DTV-2 BUHF a double bowtie same as DB-2 The only good R/S UHF is U-75

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts