OTA antenna and a Hopper or Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mopardude01

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
missouri
I was wondering if I need a coax for OTA and one for Sat., or can they be combined to one coax coming in to the house? Thanks for your help in advance.

If you have a Hopper (Moca) system, you need one each. With the old VIP series you could use diplexors to combine.
Another reason (for me) to not go to the Hopper/Joey system. I have the lines coming into the house, but just single lines from the basement to the TV locations.

Reactions: pattykay
The OTA just needs to run to the Hopper’s OTA dongle. From there, you can watch an OTA on your Joey, no antenna run needed.
So the hopper is the only one that needs a extra coax from the antenna, and the joey doesn't correct? Thank you for your help.

So the hopper is the only one that needs a extra coax from the antenna, and the joey doesn't correct? Thank you for your help.
That is correct. The Joeys have no way to add the antenna coax anyway. It is important to understand that you can only watch or record 2 OTA channels at a time. So, if you had 3 receivers and wanted to watch a different OTA channel on each you can't do that.

Reactions: Foxbat and HipKat
That is correct. The Joeys have no way to add the antenna coax anyway. It is important to understand that you can only watch or record 2 OTA channels at a time. So, if you had 3 receivers and wanted to watch a different OTA channel on each you can't do that.
Thank you, for your help

Reactions: Bobby
Be aware that each two-way split cuts signal in half.
um yea. I'm aware. I've had antenna feeds to the TVs since we moved in almost 19 years ago. This isn't something new I'm doing.

Antenna -> amplifier -> Four way split -> Diplexer -> Diplexer -> Two way split -> TV/Dish.

Still plenty of signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts