OTA antenna question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Don_S

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I have two antennae in the attic (VHF and UHF) combined and feeding the OTA signal to a 622 DVR. Probably because the antennae are not properly aligned, I am not getting a couple of the local digital stations. I was planning on buying a new HDTV antenna or building a coat-hanger antenna (which, incidentally has gotten rave reviews by people who have built them). Before doing this, just for the heck of it I hooked up a pair of rabbit-ears VHF antenna I had lying around directly to the antenna input of the digital TV (which has an ATSC tuner built-in). I was fully expecting not to get any stations because all except one of the local TV stations are UHF. However, I was shocked to see the rabbit-ear antenna pulling in ALL of the local digital stations :eek: with no drop-outs, pixellation or any other artifacts. The picture quality was fabulous on all the stations. So what is the deal here? how can a simple rabbit-ear VHF antenna pull in all those UHF stations? I have now dropped the idea of buying or building a new antenna :D

Well a really good antenna will provide overall better results. things like airplane flutter will be less likely.

I picked up at a flea market a 4 foot boom UHF corner reflector, for 10 bucks almst brand newe currently its on a piece of pipe ty wrapped to my chain link fence.

but i have a tv here with a hunk of coax partially stripped. for experimental purposes.

it works pretty well but drops out occasionally.

have you checked tv fool? with a really good outdoor antenna and rotor you might be able to pick up many more channels

Rabbit ears

I am using a set of amplified rabbits ears on my HDTV. Not only am I able to pull in all of the stations that TV FOOL states that I should, but several more that are supposed to be out of range of an outdoor antenna. Go figure. :)

have you checked tv fool? with a really good outdoor antenna and rotor you might be able to pick up many more channels

Yes, I did check TV fool and I am getting ALL the channels mentioned there.. and it is not even an amplified rabbit-ears antenna!

It works, JUST USE IT AND BE HAPPY. Yelling intentional, who cares why it works.

I think a lot of people who are contemplating shelling out hard-earned money for an "HDTV" antenna would care... there is so much hype surrounding these things that I wanted to share my experience and hopefully save a few bucks for some people. Thanks for taking the time to post..:rolleyes:

True VHF & UHF combiner?

I have two antennae in the attic (VHF and UHF) combined and feeding the OTA signal to a 622 DVR. Probably because the antennae are not properly aligned, I am not getting a couple of the local digital stations. I was planning on buying a new HDTV antenna or building a coat-hanger antenna (which, incidentally has gotten rave reviews by people who have built them). Before doing this, just for the heck of it I hooked up a pair of rabbit-ears VHF antenna I had lying around directly to the antenna input of the digital TV (which has an ATSC tuner built-in). I was fully expecting not to get any stations because all except one of the local TV stations are UHF. However, I was shocked to see the rabbit-ear antenna pulling in ALL of the local digital stations :eek: with no drop-outs, pixellation or any other artifacts. The picture quality was fabulous on all the stations. So what is the deal here? how can a simple rabbit-ear VHF antenna pull in all those UHF stations? I have now dropped the idea of buying or building a new antenna :D

Do you have a true UHF & VHF combiner or just a coax combiner/splitter. If it is the usual coax combiner you may be producing your own multi-path. This is a true combiner of the 2 different TV frequencies : Antennas Direct EU385-CF UHF / VHF TV Antenna Combiner - eBay (item 300387201128 end time Jan-22-10 05:39:00 PST)

Do you have a true UHF & VHF combiner or just a coax combiner/splitter.

Not sure.. I cannot get up into the attic to check (don't have a long-enough ladder) :( . Once I get a suitable ladder, I will check

Most don't know the difference

Not sure.. I cannot get up into the attic to check (don't have a long-enough ladder) :( . Once I get a suitable ladder, I will check

In the area I'm in it is necessary to have the correct one. The 2 VHF stations are to the west and the UHF are to the North East. Acan't really get both by using 1 antenna and it causes problems for many here.

All of this, plus the tuner in the 622 and 722 aren't that great. The K-model OTA module is quite a bit better than what you and I have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)