OTA antenna range question

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am in need of a new OTA antenna. I was wondering, when looking at the range of the antenna in its specs, what is the true range? That is, I know if it says 190 mile range, I know that due to terrian, etc, I won't get that. Is there a percentage that i should subtract to get me into the ball park? Like the true range being 50% of the advertised?

There are just too many variables for "range" to have any real meaning. Gain, or more specifically a plot of the gain pattern, would be a better way to compare various antennas. Some manufacturers provide these data on their websites or by request. Compare those patterns to your particular reception challenge to make a more educated guess as to which brand/model to buy, e.g., do you need a very directional antenna for best chance at distant channels, or a broader gain pattern for good reception of several channels from different directions?

Surely your situation will be different from anyone else's, and unless you're absolutely in the clear you probably won't come within even 50% of anyone's stated "range". A lot of this is predicated on your OTA tuner's sensitivity/selectivity as well.

This is probably the best example of our admonition "your mileage may vary"...! BRgds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts