OTA Antenna Recommendations?

chewbacca

Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
So i want to buy a relatively inexpensive OTA antenna for my new VIP722 box.

I live about 10 miles from the local HDTV towers ("yellow" range) though i am next to an Air Force base which wreaks havoc with cell phones sometimes, though not usually at my house.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to try out an indoor antenna and see if that works, and would prefer an in-store purchase so that I could return said antenna if it doesn't :D

Thanks ya'll!

So i want to buy a relatively inexpensive OTA antenna for my new VIP722 box.

I live about 10 miles from the local HDTV towers ("yellow" range) though i am next to an Air Force base which wreaks havoc with cell phones sometimes, though not usually at my house.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to try out an indoor antenna and see if that works, and would prefer an in-store purchase so that I could return said antenna if it doesn't :D

Thanks ya'll!

I've had good luck using the Terk HDTVi inside antenna with my computer for picking up local HD programming. I am however using their outside antenna with my Vip622

I used this Philips PHDDTV3 antenna for quite a while, I'm 15 miles from our broadcast towers, but in a flat valley, and all the towers are in the same spot, which really helps. I generally got good reception, but some channels required that I move the antenna slightly, and I was getting drop outs. When we upgraded to the ViP 622, I decided I needed a more reliable solution, and installed a Channel Master 3016 outdoor antenna. Now, all channels are rock-solid.

Try the Philips antenna (or something similar) first. they are relatively cheap and don't require a lot of commitment. Also, no mention if you need UHF, VHF or both, but that will play a HUGE role in what antenna you choose. Two of my local digital channels are VHF, so I needed an antenna that did both. Most markets only need a UHF antenna for digital channels, but be sure to check antennaweb.org to confirm.

I use a DB2 (UHF-only) from antennasdirect.com as an indoor antenna and I get strong reception from towers located 45 miles away. I am in Santa Clara, and (most of) the towers are in San Francisco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts