OTA Antenna Reviews

FrankJo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
DC Metro Area
Does anyone know of anyplace (website, magazine) that has actual antenna reviews?

I'm surprised that Sound and Vision hasn't done any yet.

FrankJo said:
Does anyone know of anyplace (website, magazine) that has actual antenna reviews?

I'm surprised that Sound and Vision hasn't done any yet.

I have read a few OTA reviews but they REALLY do NOT apply to MOST people because so many homes/apts are so different. The antennas perform SO different in different areas depending on the surroundings like trees buildings etc.

I have been installing antennsa and dishes for several years and I have found several places that are like BLACK HOLES and NO matter WHAT OTA antenna is installed the picture is really bad or NO PICTURE at all even though it was aimed at the local stations that are 15 miles away BUT will receive a network from 80 to 90 miles away provided the antenna is aimed that direction.

BMS1 :yes

There was a recent review of the new Square Shooter, I think it was in The Perfect Vision, but not sure. Here's a review of it online. They think highly of it.

Here's another review.

The problem for many is multipath. The antenna can't do much for that. Zenith has a 3rd generation ATSC tuner coming out which supposedly has finally tamed multipath. For those of us in apartments, this is desperately needed, and I hope Voom puts these tuners in the DVR and/or in the upgraded mpeg4/wm9 module.

The August issue of Home Theater has an article on receiving OTA digital tv in which the writer hooks up and compares reception for several antennas - including the Winegard SquareShooter, Terk TV55, Zenith Silver Sensor, Channel Master SMARTenna, Radio Shack 15-1880, and a three-dollar bowtie. I assume the article is on their website - www.hometheatermag.com - and also, the article said for more details, go to the writer's website - www.hdtvexpert.com.

TheTimm said:
The August issue of Home Theater has an article on receiving OTA digital tv in which the writer hooks up and compares reception for several antennas - including the Winegard SquareShooter, Terk TV55, Zenith Silver Sensor, Channel Master SMARTenna, Radio Shack 15-1880, and a three-dollar bowtie. I assume the article is on their website - www.hometheatermag.com - and also, the article said for more details, go to the writer's website - www.hdtvexpert.com.
That's the one I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the mag. My first link above is to that review. Thanks TheTimm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)