OTA Antenna

It wouldn't be a ripoff if the OTA module worked decently but it doesn't - prone to video dropouts if signal strength is <100 and prone to audio dropouts on all signals. I've replaced my MT2 once with no improvement.
Sounds like you have other problems.

I just learned about this OTA module by reading this thread. Are you telling me that I have to buy and install some sort of a module from Dish, attach it to a 722 receiver and then hook my antenna to it in order to get OTA? What a rip! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. My 622 does not need any of that stuff and I hook my antenna directly to it and get very good OTA HD transmissions which I can't get from Dish locals because they are not in HD in my market yet (and probably never will be). I thought the 722 was a newer version receiver than the 622. Why is the "module" not built in? How is it they are going backwards in technology with new equipment rather than forward?

Those would be some wild nights, the bedroom box going at it overtime...

Do you get more than the normal locals: NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, PBS?

When the networks are running new episodes my 722 is recording 3 tuners at once quite a bit, my over flow of shows also gets picked up by my triple tuner HTPC. Lots of recordings! But we rarely ever watching live TV, so we record quite a bit for choices.

I just learned about this OTA module by reading this thread. Are you telling me that I have to buy and install some sort of a module from Dish, attach it to a 722 receiver and then hook my antenna to it in order to get OTA? What a rip! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. My 622 does not need any of that stuff and I hook my antenna directly to it and get very good OTA HD transmissions which I can't get from Dish locals because they are not in HD in my market yet (and probably never will be). I thought the 722 was a newer version receiver than the 622. Why is the "module" not built in? How is it they are going backwards in technology with new equipment rather than forward?

Do you have the 722 or 722k?

Several reasons. Most people do not use the OTA tuner, so it is an added cost that Dish can offset by having you buy it if you want it. Direct did it first so Dish was soon to follow. It all boils down to MONEY.

The 722K is the only one that requires the module (in the 722 series). The module has two OTA tuners and will allow you to record 4 programs simultaneously (2 OTA and 2 satellite).

The 722K is the only one that requires the module (in the 722 series). The module has two OTA tuners and will allow you to record 4 programs simultaneously (2 OTA and 2 satellite).

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. The chances of me recording 4 shows at once is zero so if I ever upgrade my 622 I'll just get the 722 and not fool with that module thing at all. It would not be so important but since I do not get HD on my Dish locals I have to have an antenna hooked up in order to get them in HD.

Didn't see it mentioned yet (apologies if it has) - locals from Dish will take up a lot less space on the DVR hard drive. You might see that as an advantage (can record more shows) or a disadvantage (lower PQ than original).

Im getting service tomorow. Should I expect a 722k?
I want the latest and greatest (whats this 922??)

No, you should not expect it. Dish is not obliged to deliver any specific dual DVR receiver for new install. It could be a 622, 722 or 722K. It generally depends on what the local installer has in stock. If they do bring a 722K, they probably won't bring the OTA module. 922 is in beta testing and won't be available till later this year. Similar situation:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ents-622-why-not-722-a.html?highlight=parents

I was told on the phone they would be sending a 722k

I hope that's what I'm getting too because I want that larger harddrive.
If the 722 came that would be no biggie either seeings how I wont have to buy the OTA module. But they said they were sending the OTA module out on the w/o

They also confirmed that I would be getting the platinum package for free come August 1st (total off topic but thought I'd throw that in)

I really think you can choose a ViP622 or the ViP722 or the ViP722K. They might want a bit more for more than the ViP622. But I can't see them foisting a ViP722K on you, if you want just the one OTA tuner and don't want to pay for two.

I'd send them packing if they did not have the model you want. And I have. I've insisted on seeing the box before they could so much as climb on the roof. But that was for my 508 upgrade, when they insisted they had the right to put in a 501. I disagreed. And won. Of course, the 508 is pretty near worthless now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)