OTA Connection to Triple LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cdr2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I just bought an clip-on OTA to connect to my triple LNB D* satellite dish. The installation guide shows how to connect with a separate muliti-switch, but mine is intergrated with the dish. Can I still connect my ota without additional components?

CDR2000

My zip code is 71303. My neighbor has a clip-on ota antenna and it performs reasonably well. I am only about 5 miles from two transmitters and about 25 from the other.

I am told that a clip-on OTA antenna (TV44) cannot be connected directly to a dish with a built-in multiswitch. Can anyone advise me on whether or not this can be done?

i'm having an issue similar to this also, however i haven't purchased anything yet. i'm still gathering advice from everyone here. :)

what is the best method to go about adding local hd to a triple LNB dish? i've had no success with an indoor antenna and live less than 5 miles from the tranmission tower.

charper1 said:
Have you tried the Zenith Silver Sensor? What is your zip? What make and model receiver?

no, i haven't tried the zenith. my zip is 35222. i have an h10 receiver.

i have sort of a unique situation, which might make understanding my stance a little better. i wrote it in the thread link below. i'm too lazy to type it again. :)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59627&page=2

thanks for your help

OK, I read and see you points:

1. If your TV accepts: switch to the HDMI or component cables.

2. All but 2 affiliates are within 5 miles, ABC and WB are nearly 40 miles away. So the Zenith is a bad selection. Luckily you have access to two seperate ABC affiliates, but unfortunately both are broadcasting in VHF.

3. Not all the towers are at the same heading and you need a combo UHF/VHF so you need a multi-directional like the Winegard HD 7084P or the Channel Master CM 3679.

4. The headings are between 214 deg - 267 deg from your zip.

2. All but 2 affiliates are within 5 miles, ABC and WB are nearly 40 miles away. So the Zenith is a bad selection. Luckily you have access to 2 ABC affiliates, but unfortunately both are broadcasting in VHF.

3. Not all the towers are at the same heading and you need a combo UHF/VHF like the Winegard HD 7084P or the Channel Master CM 3679; and maybe a rotor.

4. The headings are between 214 deg - 267 deg from your zip so you might find a "sweet spot" without a rotor.

5. OR try a good UHF only like the Channel Master CM 4228 and tie-in a VHF Antennas Direct V21 aimed specificly toward the ABC tower.

Last edited:
charper1 said:

2. All but 2 affiliates are within 5 miles, ABC and WB are nearly 40 miles away. So the Zenith is a bad selection. Luckily you have access to 2 ABC affiliates, but unfortunately both are broadcasting in VHF.

3. Not all the towers are at the same heading and you need a combo UHF/VHF like the Winegard HD 7084P or the Channel Master CM 3679; and maybe a rotor.

4. The headings are between 214 deg - 267 deg from your zip so you might find a "sweet spot" without a rotor.

thanks for the advice an help.

i already have an hdmi cable running from my hd receiver to my tv, but if you read my other thread you know my other concerns.

if i'm using this type of antenna, don't i have to switch inputs, therefore losing all of my directv features such as the guide? i also wrote how this is as much an issue of principle as anything else in my other post.

i should add that the one and only ota we have tried is the terk tv5.

Well my DirecTV HD units (LG LSS-3200A, Zenith HD-SAT520) are much older than your H10 and they both integrate the SAT/DBS and OTA listings all into one guide. I don't lose anything or have to switch connections, just select in the guide and it auto-tunes, be it DBS or OTA HD. I can only assume that they would not go backward on the H10, but I do not personally have one. I can D/L the user guide and give it a quick read.

OK, on page 37 / Chapter 2 describes what I am talking about, and yes, your model will do exaclty as I described. Sweet!

Attachments

• DIRECTV_H10.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
charper1 said:
Well my DirecTV HD units (LG LSS-3200A, Zenith HD-SAT520) are much older than your H10 and they both integrate the SAT/DBS and OTA listings all into one guide. I don't lose anything or have to switch connections, just select in the guide and it auto-tunes, be it DBS or OTA HD. I can only assume that they would not go backward on the H10, but I do not personally have one. I can D/L the user guide and give it a quick read.

you don't have to go to all of that trouble. i can do that myself. i need to if i expect to try and solve this problem on my own. :) if you have a link handy to threads on this or any other helpful links, i will take those.....

i'm just really mad at our installer. he was a real fake and i still haven't figured out why.

i supposed to be doing work for my "real" job right now, but i always end up doing something like this when i have more important things to do. :rolleyes:

thanks for the info on the guide. that was one of my major concerns.

charper1 said:
OK, on page 37 / Chapter 2 describes what I am talking about, and yes, your model will do exaclty as I described. Sweet!

cool!!! thank you so much for your help. i wish it was possible to email a shot of bourbon as thanks......

Status
Please reply by conversation.